PDA

View Full Version : Spray or granular

The mayor
08-25-2005, 05:43 PM
I hope this is not to general of a question, but what is better for all around weed control Spray, or granual. I see chem lawn sprays and scotts drops. Which is the better setup. My neighbor has scotts and the lawn is weed free and looks nice. On the other hand I see lots of guys with spray units on the back of trucks. Can someone explain the the pros and cons of both. I talked to lesco and they recomend spraying for weeds and dropping for the fert.

PSUturf
08-25-2005, 09:36 PM
Spray is better for weed control. Most post emergent herbicides are foliar absorbed. If the weeds are not wet when granular herbicide is applied it will not stick to the weed. Foliar fertilizers (spray fertilizer) are usually fast release (the nitrogen portion is used by the turf within maybe 2 weeks). They are commonly used on golf greens, where you don't want a big flush of growth, at the rate of 0.1 - 0.25 lbs N / 1000 sq ft. AN exception to foliar fast release fert is Nitroform which releases over several months. Granular fertilizers offer more options from fast release urea(1-2 weeks) to moderate release sulfur coated urea(3-6 weeks) to slow release poly coated materials (10-12 weeks or more).

ThreeWide
08-25-2005, 10:00 PM
Adding to PSUturf's post....

Pre-emergent herbicides are applied in either granular or liquid form. Depends on who you ask, but the effectiveness of those are the same in either form.

Some liquid fertilizers do have a tendency to burn if applied too heavily. As a general rule, slow release fertilizer is more expensive in liquid form than in granular. Liquid is often used for spoon feeding in small amounts.

Most commercial and residential properties are not spoon fed, meaning that you normally apply 4-6 weeks worth of product at one time. This makes granular the most cost effective option if you are just applying fertilizer.

When you need to apply multiple products at one time, such as post emergent herbicides and fertilizers, it can be more effective from a labor standpoint to spray in one mix. This avoids having to walk the property more than once.

There is no cold hard answer. Which is why most applicators will use a combination of liquid and granular. You do what is necessary to maximize profit and produce great turf at the same time.

westwind
08-30-2005, 07:41 AM
Try the pesticide application forum. We apply both.