PDA

View Full Version : cutting and pulling nutsedge.. myth?

fga
08-25-2005, 06:48 PM
i was told by a customer today, that if i pulled by hand the small section of nutsedge, it would double the size and grow back immediately. it has to be sprayed. he was told this supposedly by another landscaper.
is this true? doesn't logically make sense unless there are some huge seed heads that fall off as you're pulling. am i missing something? they're not runners?? ;)

br549oicu8
08-25-2005, 07:47 PM
http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7432.html

DFW Area Landscaper
08-25-2005, 07:52 PM
You will never successfully eradicate this weed in clay soils without chemicals.

Manage works wonders on nutsedge.

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper

fga
08-25-2005, 07:53 PM
thank you for the link. it's very helpful. after 14 years of doing this, i still learn something everyday.

fga
08-25-2005, 07:57 PM
You will never successfully eradicate this weed in clay soils without chemicals.

Manage works wonders on nutsedge.

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper
i just bought the product for the 2 1/2 gallon mix. this is interesting though. i cut and pasted this from the link above.
"Many people mistakenly use systemic herbicides to try to kill the tubers after the plant is fully grown. Unfortunately, when tubers are mature there is little translocation of the herbicide from the leaves to the tubers, thus tubers are not affected."

roushjh
08-25-2005, 08:01 PM
Thanks BR!

Very informational post