PDA

View Full Version : retaining wall question

nobagger
08-25-2005, 08:20 PM
I am going to build a retaining wall for a friend out of railroad ties he wants it 6ft tall but his new house has a back yard about 15ft long and about 15-20ft down very very steep! there is already errosion happening. How would you secure the first few rows. Any help would be great. Thank you in advance.

Dreams To Designs
08-26-2005, 08:06 AM
A wall that large needs engineering, whatever material you make it with. You looking at tremendous liability with a wall of that size. Best advice would be to seek some experienced local guidance.

Kirk

buffalo bill
08-29-2005, 09:11 PM
A wall that large needs engineering, whatever material you make it with. You looking at tremendous liability with a wall of that size. Best advice would be to seek some experienced local guidance.

Kirk
I echo this advice but, question using a tie wall instead of a SRW.

UNISCAPER
08-30-2005, 11:29 PM
If i understand this correctly, you have a 15' distance out, and a 15' drop? So in other words a 1-1 slope? Engineer the wall and use something permanent like SRW instead of wood that termites will have eaten apart in 5 years.

neversatisfiedj
08-31-2005, 12:47 AM
The customer I met with today wanted ties for a 100 foot long by 8 foot high wall !! I told him no way buddy. Too much liability, those things are made for small walls.

olderthandirt
08-31-2005, 01:22 AM
If i understand this correctly, you have a 15' distance out, and a 15' drop? So in other words a 1-1 slope? Engineer the wall and use something permanent like SRW instead of wood that termites will have eaten apart in 5 years.
Thats a cliff, not a yard