PDA

View Full Version : deck pitch & airflow

Grass Cake
08-25-2005, 08:21 PM
Yesterday while changing the blades on My ZD18(54") I checked the blade height and pitch. The height was off 1/2" so i made an adjustment.The pitch was close to 1/2" also...so i changed that to 1/4". Now to my questions....

Does less pitch=less airflow? I would have thought not.

It seems to have a better cut but leaves more stringers( i know that sounds like a contradiction) which causes me to think... less suction
Where does the deck gets most of its air?

Shane7258
08-25-2005, 09:06 PM
How do you check the blade hight

Runner
08-26-2005, 12:04 PM
There is a fine line there between the proper deck pitch and too much. Just slightly is where it should be. The front tips between 1/8 to 1/4 lower than the rear. Any less, and you have a flat plane that blows too much grass down before it is cut. Too much, and you will have a blade that "chops" down too steep, and doesn't get enough surface rotation over the top of the grass. It is gettin too much of an arc shape that is cutting. This is much less blade making contact with the turf surface. The thing is, is that different decks have different characteristics. One may work better with 1/8", and one may work better with 1/4".

dishboy
08-26-2005, 05:56 PM
There is a fine line there between the proper deck pitch and too much. Just slightly is where it should be. The front tips between 1/8 to 1/4 lower than the rear. Any less, and you have a flat plane that blows too much grass down before it is cut. Too much, and you will have a blade that "chops" down too steep, and doesn't get enough surface rotation over the top of the grass. It is gettin too much of an arc shape that is cutting. This is much less blade making contact with the turf surface. The thing is, is that different decks have different characteristics. One may work better with 1/8", and one may work better with 1/4".

You might be surprised what works best for mulching, its not 1/8 or 1/4 inch lower in the front on any of my machines.