PDA

View Full Version : Are pest control companies required to flag properties they treat?

Olylawnboy
08-25-2005, 10:54 PM
While servicing one of my residential properties today a pest control company came and sprayed (who knows what) around the foundation and about four feet out from it in the flower beds that suround the home. I always yank out the weeds that come up thru the groundcover and the ones that are too close to flowers to round-up and the owner asked me why I wasn't doing it this time. I told him I'm not getting my hands in a area that has just been treated with a unknown (to me) pesticide.
The guy had left before I was done mowing so I couldn't question him and his invoice didn't say what was used. Had he been there a half hour earlier I would have been rooting around in some nasty stuff.
So does anyone know if these bug guys are required to flag properties?
Thanks....

Runner
08-25-2005, 11:28 PM
Yes we are. Also, we are required to leave what is called a Statement Of Service with the customer that details what chemicals were applied and at what rate.

ArizPestWeed
08-25-2005, 11:39 PM
Not in Ariz , don't hafta flag nada .
Leave a service notice stating trade name and date is all.

A.T.A.K
08-26-2005, 12:14 AM
Every state differs on this idea the, the foundation is not considered a common area for traffic. For that reason most states have not adopted flagging for PC treatments.

Olylawnboy
08-26-2005, 01:07 AM
I guess I knew this would vary from state to state but why are the bug guys alowed to put our health at risk? How many times have we been exposed to this stuff not knowing it? Thanks for the replys. I'm going to have a talk with my Ag Dept in the morning.
I'm wondering now how much stuff we are exposed to while doing commertial accounts, was that just dew I got on my hands :) Just somthing to think about I guess. Thanks again.....Oly

GreenUtah
08-26-2005, 01:33 PM
Rules and regulations vary wildly state to state, but I will say that most companies doing foundation spraying are using chems labelled for ornamental plant insect control so that they can safely spray all the flowers and shrubs in their control zone as they go. Most of these have low to none contact transfer once dry, have low odor and non staining properties. In fact, I'd say that if you eat fruits and vegetables, you're ingesting more pesticides than what you may come in contact with pulling weeds of trimming bushes after the dry down window has passed.

Olylawnboy
08-27-2005, 10:15 PM
GreenUtah, I understand what your saying. But in the morning when things would not be dry yet, one could not distinguish the dampness to be from dew, irrigation, or a pesticide application. And it would be even harder with a low odor chem. I just think any chem application, anywhere, should be flagged.
And by the way, I've been eating "organic" for just over thirty years now :)
Thanks guys for your input.....Oly

Neal Wolbert
08-29-2005, 02:06 AM
Wash. requires posting if any treatments are done in a landscape by pest control companies so you could get the info from the company I'm sure. Why not ask them to call you first before they treat then you could delay your work accordingly? If they won't do that, ask the homeowner to let you know. If that doesn't work call the Dept. and complain. That will turn on the lights I'll bet. You certainly have every right to know. I'm sure you are washing your hands after you pull weeds anyway so exposure levels should be minimal. Most companies in this area are using synthetic (Talstar) or natural pyrethrins for foundation work I believe. We don't do structural work so I'm not sure. Neal