PDA

View Full Version : Ground Ivy / TruGreen

NewYorkrookie
08-25-2005, 10:09 PM
Hi...

I know that most of you HATE TruGreen and the like, but heres my predicament. My lawn is 1/2 an acre. Approximately 1/3 of it is consumed by ground ivy/creeping charlie. I asked 2 local LCO's what I should do to treat the ivy, and they actually RECOMMENDED TruGreen to get rid of the ivy. They said "if thats all your concerned with is getting rid of the ivy...then TruGreen is your best bet". At first I thought that maybe the first LCO had a side deal with TG, but then the second LCO said the same thing. They both advised however to only do the 4 step weed and feed, and maybe some lime, not to let them sucker any other plan out of me. At $84 an application, didnt seem like that much $$$ to shell out (Ive been told ground ivy is one of the hardest to get rid of an control). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated on how to get rid of the ivy ....to use TG or not.

Thanks....

PS.....Im a clueless homeowner, so please be gentle :dizzy: .

Runner
08-25-2005, 10:26 PM
I've had many ex-tru-brown customers that couldn't get rid of their ground ivy. They were promised this, but no-go. I spoke to a tru-brown rep who once told me that they can do it in one ap....the bull just gets deeper with these guys. ANY one who knows about lawn care, in the true aspect of knowledge knows that you CAN'T get rid of it in just one ap. You can try them, but that price seems quite high. Talk them down to about half that rate...they'll come down. Also, what's the gig on the "lime" ap? you say you don't want to be sold any needless crap? Ha! This is one of their most popular upsell ripoffs. They sell this stuff to people and have no CLUE what they're even doing. In the first place, how do THEY know it needs lime? How do they know how much? See....just do some research, and you'll know the difference. I think you'd be better off to find a lawn care co. to take care of it for you. Trubrown is NOT a lawn care company...they are a marketing company. They will blow sunshine up your rear and tell you anything they think you want to hear.

NewYorkrookie
08-25-2005, 10:35 PM
Thanks for your response....

To TG's credit, he did state that it would probably take 4 applications for 2 years to totally rid my lawn of the ivy. As my coworker just advised me (while reading your post over my shoulder :rolleyes: ), I would be better off applying my own lime.

Thanks again

teeca
08-25-2005, 10:41 PM
on a positive point about tru-green... keep calling them back for service calls untill it's gone, you pay once... get several treatments free. i can't understand why a local would't jump on this and explain that it WILL take several trip to get it under control (and you will have to pay each time) it would only make them look like the smartest cat on the block when tru-green took a year to control it and it cost you BIG $$

SodKing
08-26-2005, 06:11 AM
I would go with Runners advise on trugreen.

Find a local, quailified lawn company.

NattyLawn
08-26-2005, 07:05 AM

To TG's credit, he did state that it would probably take 4 applications for 2 years to totally rid my lawn of the ivy. As my coworker just advised me (while reading your post over my shoulder :rolleyes: ), I would be better off applying my own lime.

Thanks again

How do you know you need lime? A lot of times, TG will do a soil sample for free. Whether or not its actually sent out is the real question. They got you for the 4 apps, then you'll get a note "Mr Smith, I saw a grub today", etc. Then the add ons begin...

Ric
08-26-2005, 10:42 AM
:)

Whether you are having your air conditioner repaired or your lawn sprayed, The company doing the work is only as good as the technician that does the job. I have actually seen good techs working for True Brown. One of the local techs has been with True Brown for several years now. He doesn't do bad work I hate to say. It takes time to learn any job. True Brown is famous in my area for changing techs quicker than their underwear. They have some very knowledgeable people working for them, in fact they all have management positions and are never in the field.

I agree with Runner, find a one man band. This one Man band is head bottle washer as well as the certified operator in charge. It has taken him time to get certified and start a business. He has a vested interest in doing your job right.

lawnservice
08-26-2005, 12:05 PM

Thanks again
:realmad: the REAL question is......
why you posting personal questions when you're on your employers time????
:D

turf hokie
08-26-2005, 05:54 PM
Tru-Green in NY is starting to go all Granular which means poor control. This is due to the new regulations in NY.
If you want a quality guy in your area call

Leisure Lawn
Rich Cooke is the owner

He may be able to help you better than the big companies.