PDA

View Full Version : How to determine $ of a truck

Markf
08-25-2005, 11:48 PM
Gentlemen,
I am now looking at a 89 F350 Diesel, auto, 9' rack dump with 112K complete with 9' Fisher plow, new rear brakes and rebuilt front end and 80% on the tires. The question is:

How to properly determine the purchase price? I HAVE looked at Kelly Blue Book and NADA. There is no way to accurately describe the vehicle. Kelly does ask if it is a dump. But there are so many variations of a dump that it is impossible to get an accurate description. Also, the vehicles we see for sale usually do not follow the NADA or Kelly guidelines. What do we do and how do you guys set prices?
Thx.
Mark

Smalltimer1
08-26-2005, 12:24 AM
$6000 at most, $4500 on the low end. The dump body adds a lot of value to a truck, and being a diesel it is only just getting broken in at 112k. Make sure the auto is the C6 as the early E40D's weren't quite ready to handle diesel power at that point.

Markf
08-26-2005, 12:35 AM
Smalltimer,
I appreciate your reply, however, how did you determine the value? This way I will know for the future.
Mark

hosejockey2002
08-26-2005, 01:30 AM
The real answer to this question is "whatever the guy can get for it". All you can really do is try to compare it with asking prices of similar trucks in your area. Prices will vary widely by region. That truck might get $7-8K around here, although the plow isn't worth much to me because it almost never snows around here. Twenty miles east of where I live, though, that would be a different story. In the south where Smalltimer lives, it's probably worth less.

Scag48
08-26-2005, 03:50 AM
Kelly Blue Book is only a guidline basically, it's a buyers market anymore. Any vehicle is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I think it's hilarious when someone selling a used vehicle will stick right to blue book value when after a month of trying to sell the vehicle he's still hangin on to it. I just bought a '98 Audi A4 and blue book says that car is worth $14,000 retail value (from dealer). I paid $11,500 and honestly couldn't see anyone paying even close to that $14,000 Kelly says it's worth.

Now, that truck you are looking at is worth no more than $5,500, and like smalltimer said, $4,500 on the low end.

Smalltimer1
08-26-2005, 09:54 AM
Smalltimer,
I appreciate your reply, however, how did you determine the value? This way I will know for the future.
Mark

I look at the major features the truck has.

1. 1989 Model Year F-350 (current value in good running condition is somewhere around $4000 regardless of gas or diesel)
2. Dump bed. Add $750 to base $4000.
3. Diesel engine, add $500-$1500 (depending on condition) to current $4750.
4. Automatic add, $500 +/- a few hundred depending on the transmission's condition.
5. Extras. Sometimes there are extra features that will add on to the value of a vehicle. However, you have not listed anything special other than the dump bed which I have already discussed.

lwcmattlifter
08-26-2005, 02:21 PM
What is he asking for it? A truck like that here with 4x4, dump, diesel would go for 6-8k easily. 2wd would be a little less, but not much. People seem to be after the dump more than anything. I know it sucks to hear this because it's not much help but the market completely determines the price.

Markf
08-26-2005, 05:06 PM
asking price is 7300

lwcmattlifter
08-26-2005, 07:02 PM
Is it 4wd? Is the dump powered by electric over hydraulic or the trans via PTO?

Markf
08-27-2005, 11:58 AM
The vehicle is a 4x4 and the dump is electrical, not PTO. What is the advantage of PTO over electrical? Sorry, I should have included this info before.
Mark

lwcmattlifter
08-28-2005, 07:38 PM
I think the PTO is more reliable and heavy duty than electric. In a 1 ton truck I don't think it matters as much. If you are going to be using it for dumping daily I would go for a PTO dump. Is the body in good condition? If it were me I would offer 6k or 6,500. These trucks really tend to hold their value well around here. That truck has a lot going for it. Dump bed, plow, Dana 60 front axle. Also, those engines had cavitation problems. Make sure to ask if the owner kept up on the SCA additive. You may want to get a test strip and check it yourself if you are serious about buying.

Smalltimer1
08-28-2005, 09:30 PM
Just remember with a PTO you have a solid mechanical connection between your power source and your pump. With electrical you only have some wires going to a motor which goes to your pump. As the electronics get older they will fray, corrode, and any other kind of aging that can happen will happen and will render the electronics useless and worthless. That is not so with a mechanical PTO, you still have that solid connection after 20 years and it will still work if it has been in the least bit maintained.

sheshovel
08-28-2005, 09:59 PM
I'd say with the plow it's at least worth $6000.00

Itsgottobegreen
08-29-2005, 12:08 AM
My dump truck has a central hydraulic systems. The pto pump runs the dump, plow and spreader. The plow controls are ultra fast, spreader has no 2nd engine to crap out in the middle of a snow storm and the dump goes up really fast. Plus if you hit the gas the dump raises even faster. :D All my dump trucks from now on are going to be central hydraulic.