PDA

View Full Version : nutsedge and manage

lqmustang
08-25-2005, 11:53 PM
I have a customer with a very small patch of nutsedge that she wants knocked out. It seems that Manage is the prefered product most are using for nutsedge control, but I was wondering on an area as small as I need to treat (about 10 sq ft), if there may be a more cost effiecent way to treat. From what I've read pulling is not effective as the tubers will still sprout new plants. I was also thinking painting the blades with glyphosphate, but that could end up time consuming and eat up any cost savings over the cost of Manage. If I use Manage, I would only need to mix up a few ounces to spray on this small area. I was also wondering how much some of you charge for spot spraying with Manage? The stuff is crazy expensive. :dizzy:

Btw, yes, I'm licensed and all that other good stuff. :D

ArizPestWeed
08-26-2005, 12:00 AM
You did not mention what it's growing in , all by it's self ?

lqmustang
08-26-2005, 12:07 AM
Sorry, it's smack in the middle of the lawn, fine fescue/bg mix. Very nice lawn also, don't want to harm the turf.

A.T.A.K
08-26-2005, 12:10 AM
Get the manage while you can it is being replaced by another product Cleary I thinkthe name is. If you thought Manage was costly wait till you get the sticker shock from this. Weed head was right what type of turf is it. Basagran might work price is a lot lower but the results reflect the price may take a couple of trips.

Ric
08-26-2005, 12:27 AM
Get the manage while you can it is being replaced by another product Cleary I thinkthe name is. If you thought Manage was costly wait till you get the sticker shock from this. Weed head was right what type of turf is it. Basagran might work price is a lot lower but the results reflect the price may take a couple of trips.

Tim

Cleary is a chemical company and many of their products are named by number. Cleary 3336 is a fungicide for example. Basagran is an Excellent Herbicide but can be expensive also. The problem with Basagran is, it is a contact kill and does not get the Nutlets like Manage or Image. IMHO it only suppresses Sedge. Manage and Image will control it given enough applications and time.

Are you telling us Manage is coming off the market and if so WHY. I have found Manage to be an excellent over the top Herbicide for non-grassy weeds. It is a great herbicide but has a very short life after mixed. It will go bad in about 4 hr or less.

A.T.A.K
08-26-2005, 12:33 AM
Yea it will be fased out have not been given the reason. The name I can't remember Clearity or something.

Ric
08-26-2005, 12:55 AM
Yea it will be fased out have not been given the reason. The name I can't remember Clearity or something.

Tim

Maybe the tree hugger have gotten another one. Who knows. Asulox was not re-registered for Horticulture for economy reasons. It still carries a Agi label and is sold by the RR car load to Big Sugar among others.

I guess we could both get on the soap box about our feeling about Pesticide Misuse age and Chemical company greed. But whats the use?

Dallas Turf
08-26-2005, 01:26 AM
The replacement for Manage is Certanty by Monsanto. It is about $350 per bottle that coverer's 5 acres. I am in the process of trying it here in the Dallas area in my next round of apps. It is supposed to eradicate it completely in 2-3 apps. according to those I have talked to. According to the ag labeling it will also kill Johnson grass, Poa, and several other weeds.

NattyLawn
08-26-2005, 08:10 AM
Does that mean the patent on Manage is expiring and Monsanto is making a "new and improved" product?

Dallas Turf
08-26-2005, 09:07 AM
From what I understand Nissan Chemical will no longer be producing the active ingredient for Manage. It is hard to believe that it won't be available because of the use on the ag side it is sold as Permit, Sandia, Sempra. Run an active ingredient search for halosulferon.

MIDWEST25
08-26-2005, 10:44 AM
put .3 ozs of msma and 1.5 ozs of trmec 992 in a back pack and spray it.Cheapest way I know to kill it

Ric
08-26-2005, 11:18 AM
The replacement for Manage is Certanty by Monsanto. It is about $350 per bottle that coverer's 5 acres. I am in the process of trying it here in the Dallas area in my next round of apps. It is supposed to eradicate it completely in 2-3 apps. according to those I have talked to. According to the ag labeling it will also kill Johnson grass, Poa, and several other weeds.

Dallas Turf

Price per package and Price Per Thousand are two different things. Manage was just over a $ 100 and covered an Acre. If Certanty is as you say $ 350 @ 5 acres then it is $ 30 per Acre cheaper.

What we are calling New Chemistry or the New trend in Pesticides is both better and not so good is some ways. Smaller amounts of AI covering greater area, But also we are not seeing the broad spectrum effect of the older Pesticides. New Chemistry is now requiring more than one chemical to control a variety of Problems. Maybe in some ways Our price per thousand is coming down, but our cost of inventory sure is going up.

mlr164
08-26-2005, 10:38 PM
Manage isn't going anywhere, there may be a new option for southern states. Go to your local LESCO and ask for a small packet of Manage. It will mix w/ one gallon of water (cover approx. 1000 square feet) and will only cost around $15 - $20.

lqmustang
08-27-2005, 12:28 AM
Looks like that small wsp is the way to go for my needs this time. Now I just need to see if I can upsell a couple more spot applications to fully use up a gallon of product.

Avery
08-27-2005, 12:52 AM
I have never used it but have been told by other LCO's that Image gives decent control on sedges. $13 a pint vs. $100 for manage. May be worth a try for you.

Mscotrid
08-27-2005, 12:12 PM
B4 everybody rushes out too buy Certainty and spray all that Nutsedge in their cool season turf, read the label. Certainty is labeled on for {WARM SEASON TURF.} It can also be applied over many native grasses.

Cost for a 5 ounce bottle will vary from $300.00 to $350.00. rates are .75 to 1.25 oz per acre. Cost at .75/acre $45.05 @ 1.25 oz/acre $75.00

DTC
08-29-2005, 12:26 PM

Its called Certainty and is still made by Monsanto. Basically it looks like its a better herbicide and controls more than just nutsedge. The price is higher, but that is because the bottle has more in it than the Manage bottle has. So you are getting more product for the extra cost.

DLS1
08-29-2005, 09:35 PM
Manage isn't going anywhere, there may be a new option for southern states. Go to your local LESCO and ask for a small packet of Manage. It will mix w/ one gallon of water (cover approx. 1000 square feet) and will only cost around $15 - $20.

That is expense if that is what you are paying. I just bought some yesterday from the local nursery and it was $11 for that same package. Make sure you buy some spreader sticker and maybe some dye marker to see where you have already sprayed.

Pro Lawn LLC
08-30-2005, 12:14 PM
If you really want to increase the effectiveness of Manage, add 1 milliliter of carfentrazone (quicksilver) per 1,000 sq. ft. You will be amazed how much faster the Manage will work and how much better control you will get on nutsedge with just one application.