PDA

View Full Version : Selective herbicide for quackgrass

Olylawnboy
08-26-2005, 12:15 AM
If I remember right, a couple years ago "they" were saying that a selective herbicide was going to be out that would control quackgrass in turf. It shoud have been out a year ago at least. Has anyone heard anything about such a thing these days?.....Oly

Neal Wolbert
08-26-2005, 12:42 AM
You and I live in the quackgrass/velvetgrass capitol of the world I believe but as far as I know, there's nothing on the radar yet that will do the job. I had a customer who tried a "proven" method on quackgrass a few years back. Someone told him if he applied 6-8# urea (3-4# N) ptsf in one app. the quack would grow itself to death. He did the app. and guess what? He mowed every third day for over two months and hauled off literaly tons of grass off his 15k bentgrass lawn. I saw the quack about 3 weeks into the mess and it sure enough looked spindly, thin bladed and yellow like it might just die. But, alas it did not. It came back supercharged to be even more of a pain then before the "proven" fix. He created at least 1/2" of thatch during that summer and I'll bet he paid hundreds a month for water as well. I think it was the major reason he sold his home. So if you hear that one, don't take the bait! Neal

Olylawnboy
08-26-2005, 01:23 AM
Thanks for your reply Neal, and sorry about the problems with your flag at Mrs. Stoner's a few years back. And she's getting kind of old now. Anyway, do you know anyway to control quack that you would be willing to share?

Neal Wolbert
08-26-2005, 11:26 AM
Like I said, nothing registered at this time. Spot treat with Roundup and reseed or dig the plants out and reseed or sod are the only fixes right now. We do have a possible solution for poa annua (annual bluegrass) however. We are field testing a product called Velocity right now. It is a 3 app. program, 2 weeks apart. We are about a week away from the 3rd app. and the poa is nearly dead. It slows down all the grasses but doesn't brown out any other species except poa. Will have the final answer sometime in the early fall I would guess. Back to the quack/velvetgrass, it will be a good day when/if a selective product comes along won't it? We have many dissapointed customers who have paid big bucks for a new lawn and end up with native species moving in spoiling everything. A Roundup spray before seeding really helps to hold the little suckers back but even with pre-treating they show up in the second or third year. Sod lawns don't usually have the problem as quickly but over time just about all the lawns in the Northwest end up with quack or velvet. We tell our customers to think of their new lawn like a carpet with a house full of kids...in a few years it will need to be replaced so they might as well budget for it. That should keep companies like yours in the chips :) Neal