PDA

View Full Version : Good news on 2,4-D

SodKing
08-26-2005, 07:06 AM
from Golfdom online

2,4-D Verdict: No Risk When Used Appropriately

The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) recently concluded that the herbicide, 2,4-Dichloro-phenoxyacetic acid (2,4-D) does not present risks of concern to human health when users follow 2,4-D product instructions as outlined in EPA's 2,4-D Reregistration Eligibility Decision (RED) document.

The agency's announcement and release of the RED on 2,4-D completes a 17-year EPA review process. 2,4-D is a phenoxy herbicide discovered 60 years ago and is used worldwide for a variety of applications, including golf courses.

Over the course of 17 years, the Industry Task Force II on 2,4-D Research Data developed and submitted to EPA more than 300 Good Laboratory Practice (GLP) toxicology, environmental and residue studies which EPA scientists reviewed to assess the herbicide's safety under the Federal Insecticide Fungicide and Rodenticide Act (FIFRA) and the Food Quality Protection Act (FQPA).

Task Force members hold technical 2,4-D FIFRA registrations and include Dow AgroSciences, Nufarm Ltd., Agro-Gro and PBI/Gordon.

"The EPA's assessment of the human and environmental scientific data reinforces a growing number of regulatory decisions and expert reviews that conclude the use of 2,4-D according to product instructions does not present an unacceptable risk to human health or the environment," stated Don Page, assistant executive director of the Industry Task Force II on 2,4-D Research Data.

In 1947, 2,4-D was registered for use in the United States on crops and turfgrass. The EPA initiated an assessment for a toxicology review of 2,4-D in 1980, and reregistration data development by the 2,4-D Task Force and review by EPA began in 1988.

For more information, visit w

ww.24D.org.

Grassmechanic
08-26-2005, 10:59 AM
This just reinforces what has been known to the folks that are educated in the chemical side of pesticides for many years. Unfortunately, this will probably do little to quiet the "environmentalists" and their fight to ban pesticides containing 2,4D.

Olylawnboy
08-28-2005, 12:12 AM
So how come the "environmentalists" don't go after the homeowner's use of 24D? Weed&Feed to me is the least "appropriat" use of 24D that I can see. And this over-use is what causes the most problems to our enviorment. I see homeowners use weed&feed three and four times a year to kill 5 or 6 weeds in thier lawn ( do they really follow directions?). Not to mention "bug" control, "fungus" control, etc.. These chems, I believe should only be used by us "licenced" applicators.
Thanks for the rant :) ....Oly

Killswitch
08-28-2005, 12:59 AM
Doesnt present an unacceptable risk... isnt glorious praise.

just sayin.

ArizPestWeed
08-28-2005, 01:09 AM
does not present risks of concern to human health when users follow 2,4-D product instructions.
That's irrisponsible , like saying it's "safe" ,and it's not .
Maybe safer if you follow the label but not safe

Olylawnboy
08-28-2005, 01:23 AM
"safe" is a relevent term to be sure, but really, isn't the overuse by the homeowner group a real problem?

ArizPestWeed
08-28-2005, 01:35 AM
I disagree , it's the use , in general , of any non-naturally occurring substabce that's a problem .
We , the human race , is the problem .
It's our arrogence that assumes we are doing no wrong .
We have and are phucking up the planet .
I'm helping in a small way , for profits .

Killswitch
08-28-2005, 01:46 AM
Negligable risk.

Not safe.

Olylawnboy
08-28-2005, 02:22 AM
Arizweedhead, I can't even dispute anything you say :)....God help us....Oly

SodKing
08-28-2005, 09:47 AM
I disagree , it's the use , in general , of any non-naturally occurring substabce that's a problem .
We , the human race , is the problem .
It's our arrogence that assumes we are doing no wrong .
We have and are phucking up the planet .
I'm helping in a small way , for profits .

Without pesticides, the USA wouldn't be able to feed ourselves. With pesticides we are able to not only feed our population but that of several other countries as well.

The fact is that no one ever said these products were safe, no item when used innappropriately is safe. However when used according to the labeled directions these products pose no adverse health effects.

Peanut butter has a higher Ld50 than 2,4-D by the way.

ArizPestWeed
08-28-2005, 06:23 PM
Sodking , that's soooo unreal , irresponsible and arrogant to exclude the entire animal and plant population as if we are the most important living thing here .
We are massing producing ourselves at alarming rates and polluting the entire plant so we can over populate the plant .
No respect for the natural evolution of life , we have disrupted it with our massive survival rates , I mean , come on , dude , …
I mean no disrespect to you , of course .

NattyLawn
08-28-2005, 08:56 PM
Peanut butter has a higher Ld50 than 2,4-D by the way.[/QUOTE]

That LD50 must be for people who are allergic to peanuts.... ;)

SodKing
08-28-2005, 09:32 PM
LD 50 takes into account all people in a representative sample.

and we, humans, are the most important single species on the planet. We are the top of the food chain, we are the most intelligent, and humans dictate the order of chaos on this planet.

ArizPestWeed
08-28-2005, 11:49 PM
That is not true , Sodking .

I know you are just kidding , though , right ?

Grassmechanic
08-29-2005, 11:27 AM
So how come the "environmentalists" don't go after the homeowner's use of 24D? Weed&Feed to me is the least "appropriat" use of 24D that I can see. And this over-use is what causes the most problems to our enviorment. I see homeowners use weed&feed three and four times a year to kill 5 or 6 weeds in thier lawn ( do they really follow directions?). Not to mention "bug" control, "fungus" control, etc.. These chems, I believe should only be used by us "licenced" applicators.
Thanks for the rant :) ....Oly
Oly, I agree with you that joe homeowner is the biggest abuser. I also would like to see pesticides removed from HD, Lowe's, Etc., but that ain't gonna happen. The problem is that the "environmentalists" view us professional applicators much the same way as they view "big oil" - they believe we are companies who have no regard for the environment for the sake of making a profit.

Mscotrid
08-30-2005, 07:07 PM
That is not true , Sodking .

I know you are just kidding , though , right ?

LD50 rate of ai/product that would provide a lethal dose to 50 % of the test group. That would make a up the sample group of rats