PDA

View Full Version : Sealed Spindles vs. Greasable Spindles

Distorted
08-26-2005, 10:31 AM
I have an Exmark Z HP with a little over 500 hrs on it, and had to have the spindles replaced. They were the sealed type, which required "no maintenance." I was told by the shop that nothing was unusual about that, but I think that was very poor longevity. The fellow I talked to at the shop, when pinned down, said he preferred greasable spindles although they do require attention.

I have had more than my share of problems with the Exmark and plan to move on now. I need more machine anyway, and have looked at the Hustler Super Z 72" diesel, and the Ferris 5000is 72" diesel. The Hustler has sealed spindles, and I forget about the Ferris spindles. Any thoughts from the experienced here on the relative merits of the two types, and if there are any on the market with greasable spindles in that range of machine? :help:

GrassBustersLawn
08-26-2005, 11:24 AM
I've got 1900 + hours on my Lazer Zhp 48" & NEVER had to do anything to spindles (know on wood). Sounds like you just had bum ones to start.

I have a Toro Z-147 with greasable spindles. It has 650+ hours w/no problems.

Mike

MBDiagMan
08-26-2005, 02:12 PM
I personally think that it's six of one and a half dozen of the other. Greasable ones you stay after with a grease gun until they where out and then replace the bearings, and sealed ones you ignore until they wear out and then replace the bearings. Replacing the bearings in a sealed bearing spindle is a simple operation.

My $0.02,
Doc

eclawn
08-26-2005, 02:47 PM
My Experiance As A Mechanic Is That The Greasable Spindles Hold Up Alot Better. And To Answer On The Ferris Is5000z, It Has Thier Herculies Spindles, Which Are Amazing. They Have A 10.5'' Base, Have Monster Tappered Roller Bearings Even Larger Then Scag & Toro. The Other 2 Best Spindles. And Yes They Are Greasable. Just A Note The Tappered Roller Bearings Will Handle 50% More Load Then A Ball Bearing Of Equal Size.

jbell113
08-26-2005, 03:08 PM
I posted on here about 2 weeks ago about this. I to have the exmark and the spindle bearings were starting to roar alot meaning they were on there way out. I bought a new complete spindle housing minus the spindle and put it on. I took the old one off and a friend of mine who is an airplane mechanic with delta showed me how to install grease fittings on the spare spindle housing. We pumped grease into it after we put the bearings back in and the grease filled it up and was oozing out of the bearings. Installed the housing back on the mower and doesnt make any roaring noise anymore. Worked out great and will save me alot of money and time from senseless repairs.

Distorted
08-26-2005, 05:54 PM
I visited another local dealer today who carried both Hustler and Ferris. He had a few interesting things to say. About the Hustler Super Z diesel, he said he had multiple problems, which ultimately caused Hustler to be required to buy back at least one. He laid blame on the design of the engine allignment, which gave the machine commendable smoothness, but did not allow a belt operated fan system that caused continual relay failure with the electrical fan assembly and overheating. He has quit carrying the hustler diesel as a result. His mechanic confirmed the experiences in my presence.

He also recommended the Ferris IS4500Z over the IS5000Z, as a much smoother machine and more trouble free machine. I was able to see the Ferris spindle as descibed by eclawn above on a cutaway model the dealer had, and confirmed its grease zerk and substantial construction. It impressed me, but then what do I know about spindles anyway. The 4500 is a newer model with an improved swing axle rear suspension design that he said better dampened the ride than does the 5000. I was able to test the 5000, but not the 4500. The 5000 eleminated the harse aspect of most Z's, but was too "bouncy" at the other end of the ride spectrum. Maybe the 4500 is just right, as the dealer suggested. To get maximum cutting speed these big guys can deliver, it seems important to me that a decent ride be there too. What good will it do to have a 12mph speed if the damned thing throws your driver out on the ground? The problem is that it will not have the 72" deck until next year, and may or may not have a rear discharge one then. Too, the 4500 has "only" a 28hp diesel, while the older machine has a 31.5hp engine. The 5000 is ~$1500 more from this dealer's quoted price.

rob1325
08-26-2005, 10:46 PM
In my experience, greasable spindles out last any sealed one. Spindles really heat up and break down the grease (just touch one on hot day after cutting for a few hours). Being able to pump fresh grease really makes them last. Only draw back to greasable is more time in maintence, which really isn't much, and the ablity to get contaminats in, which you should wipe off zerks first. Also, relief valves on them so you don't blow the seals and tapered bearing last longer. I have Scag spindles which have over 2,700 hrs + that I never changed yet.

Cobra Jock
08-26-2005, 11:05 PM
I've got 1900 + hours on my Lazer Zhp 48" & NEVER had to do anything to spindles (know on wood). Sounds like you just had bum ones to start.

I have a Toro Z-147 with greasable spindles. It has 650+ hours w/no problems.

Mike
I always look at where the person is using the mower. He's probably getting into a lot of sand in Houston area, you may have better conditions. We have 5 Super Z Hustlers at work and we eat spindles (new and old style)constantly. Just a thought

Greg

topsites
08-26-2005, 11:14 PM
I personally think that it's six of one and a half dozen of the other. Greasable ones you stay after with a grease gun until they where out and then replace the bearings, and sealed ones you ignore until they wear out and then replace the bearings. Replacing the bearings in a sealed bearing spindle is a simple operation.

My $0.02,
Doc

One thing worthy of mention is sealed bearings are capable of FAR higher rpm's than greasable, which is the reason they put sealed bearings on ALL fixed decks because fixed decks run a LOT higher blade rpm's than floaters.

I have two 48" prolines fixed deck, the Toro equivalent of the Xmark, both have sealed bearings and yes, they need replacing about every 2 years (I cut 700-800/year and split it between the machines) BUT it only costs 50 dollars per set (so $150 per mower) and takes about an hour IF you've done them 3-4 times before you get good at it, first time took me like 8 hours LOL!

It is a bit of a pita this necessary evil, but it's the price I gladly pay for owning a superior grass-cutting machine...For cutting grass, float-decks are to fixed decks what scissors are to a straight razor when cutting hair - ONLY a pro can use the razor AND turn out a better cut first time, every time and for less money... The $150 spent every 2 years is more than made up for in raw speed and increased fuel mileage both in the truck pulling 200 pounds LESS equipment AND in yards/gallon, nevermind less moving parts and it's a LOT easier to push when the motor won't turn.

Distorted
03-23-2006, 12:07 AM
I talked with the dealer again from my post #6 above, who is still singing that tune about the Hustler Diesel SuperZ being designed with an electric servo fan rather than run off the drive shaft resulting in numerous blown electric relays and resulting in over-heating. Anyone have that problem on the big boy, or have enough hours on one to dispel the thought?

LwnmwrMan22
03-23-2006, 12:28 AM
I've run 2 Ferris IS 4000's, with sealed bearings.

Both mowers' spindles went out at 600 hours.

Needless to say, I prefer greasable bearings.

green acres lawns
03-23-2006, 01:56 AM
As I have said before on this forum, I have both Exmarks and Scags. Plus my other job is night foreman for a Caterpiller dealer. I have been a mechanic since 1968. The automotive industry quit using ball bearings for wheel bearings back in the 50's because of frequent bearing failures. They went to tapered roller bearings and wheel bearing failures are almost unheard of now. Timpken developed tapered roller bearings for the railroad nearly a century ago to solve their bearing problems. sealed ball bearings are a cheap substitute for the real thing. Fresh grease at regular intervals flushes out the moisture(from wet grass and condensation) as well as lubricating. So I prefer greasable roller bearings.

Richard Martin
03-23-2006, 07:21 AM
One thing worthy of mention is sealed bearings are capable of FAR higher rpm's than greasable, which is the reason they put sealed bearings on ALL fixed decks because fixed decks run a LOT higher blade rpm's than floaters.

I really hate to keep arguing with you but this statement is pure B.S. First, they don't put sealed bearings on all fixed decks. I have 2 Ferris walk behinds that have greasable spindles. There are plenty of other manufacturers out there that still use greasable spindles on their fixed deck mowers.

Second, if sealed bearings handle high RPM better than greasable bearings why does Dixie Chopper (who is well known for having the highest blade speeds in the industry) still use them? And it is rare to hear about a problem with a Dixie Chopper spindle when they have been properly greased.

Third, fixed decks do not run a higher blade RPM than floating. I again point to Dixie Chopper as all of their decks are floating.

That said I have had nothing but problems with sealed bearings. That is why all of my mowers have greasable spindles.

captken
03-23-2006, 09:55 AM
The Hustler has sealed spindles, and I forget about the Ferris spindles. Any thoughts from the experienced here on the relative merits of the two types, and if there are any on the market with greasable spindles in that range of machine? :help:

Well, for what its worth, I just replaced the spindle assemblies on my Hustler Z. I have not been too careful doing cleanups since I bought mine. The cleanups are the hardest on the spindle assemblies/blades. Plus, I have run over stuff I didn't see and bent quite a few Hustler Gator Blades, hitting stuff I don't want to talk about.:p Over a period of time, 3 1/2 years? and after replacing the bearings a few times, I got new ones [spindle assemblies].
They are sealed, but do have zerts. The reason to grease them is for moisture. I'll bet that if I were more careful mowing, I wouldn't have had to replace them now. I could have ran them more, but I was starting to get some slop in one and decided to go with new ones...

They [factory sealed, but with zerts] will work okay for most folks.

TLS
03-23-2006, 10:10 AM
because fixed decks run a LOT higher blade rpm's than floaters.

What :confused:

How do you figure that? What does a decks mounting have to do with spindle RPM?:rolleyes:

Please explain your reason for thinking this.

As for sealed vs. greasable.

I've had both. I HAVE both.

Personally I like NOT having to grease any more zerks than I have to. (Daily, weekly, monthly, whatever)

I've had greasable fail, and I've had sealed fail. In my personal experience, my greasable spindles failed due to bent spindle shafts (DC).

I had JD 318 50" deck sealed spindles last over 1000hrs (This is a homeowner type garden tractor BTW) when used commercially.

I had SCAG ball bearing, alum housing greasable spindles fail to make a season.

To have the type of blade spindle determine my next mower is just silly. Buy the mower for it's features and how it fits your needs/budget. Every new mower out there today should make 1000hrs without issues.

As for early sealed spindle failure....DO NOT PRESSURE WASH YOUR DECKS. When you HAND wash the deck, make sure you use your blower to blow away any standing water under your spindle pulleys. This is what will kill sealed spindles.

drumbo
03-23-2006, 11:23 AM
Second, if sealed bearings handle high RPM better than greasable bearings why does Dixie Chopper (who is well known for having the highest blade speeds in the industry) still use them? And it is rare to hear about a problem with a Dixie Chopper spindle when they have been properly greased.

Third, fixed decks do not run a higher blade RPM than floating. I again point to Dixie Chopper as all of their decks are floating.

FALSE. Dixie Chopper brags about having "The World's Fastest Lawn Mower"...which is tied to GROUNDSPEED.

Exmark has the fastest blade-tip speed in the industry...19,200 RPM

TLS
03-23-2006, 11:26 AM

Where did you read that? :rolleyes:

drumbo
03-23-2006, 11:36 AM
Where did you read that? :rolleyes:

My Exmark dealer was discussing it when I was looking at mowers. I might be off a hundred or so but it was over 19k...according to them. Either way, the DO have the fastest blade speed in the industry.

TLS
03-23-2006, 11:40 AM
My Exmark dealer was discussing it when I was looking at mowers. I might be off a hundred or so but it was over 19k...according to them. Either way, the DO have the fastest blade speed in the industry.

No, I'm sorry. Your dealer, AND you are incorrect with this information.

The '06 models have actually DROPPED their blade tip speed.

To the best of my knowledge, a cranked up Dixie Chopper has the highest BTS.

6'7 330
03-23-2006, 11:40 AM
FALSE. Dixie Chopper brags about having "The World's Fastest Lawn Mower"...which is tied to GROUNDSPEED.

Last I heard Exmark claims 18500, Z-turns and walks.

Over the years We have dealt with both types, we have had some sealed Exmarks spindles go at 400 hours,some go at 1500 hours.For us to its a matter of one less component to maintain.

John Gamba
03-23-2006, 11:43 AM
[QUOTE=TLS]

QUOTE]

Tritons are at 16500:usflag:

one man gang
03-23-2006, 11:46 AM
What :confused:

How do you figure that? What does a decks mounting have to do with spindle RPM?:rolleyes:

Please explain your reason for thinking this.

As for sealed vs. greasable.

I've had both. I HAVE both.

Personally I like NOT having to grease any more zerks than I have to. (Daily, weekly, monthly, whatever)

I've had greasable fail, and I've had sealed fail. In my personal experience, my greasable spindles failed due to bent spindle shafts (DC).

I had JD 318 50" deck sealed spindles last over 1000hrs (This is a homeowner type garden tractor BTW) when used commercially.

I had SCAG ball bearing, alum housing greasable spindles fail to make a season.

To have the type of blade spindle determine my next mower is just silly. Buy the mower for it's features and how it fits your needs/budget. Every new mower out there today should make 1000hrs without issues.

As for early sealed spindle failure....DO NOT PRESSURE WASH YOUR DECKS. When you HAND wash the deck, make sure you use your blower to blow away any standing water under your spindle pulleys. This is what will kill sealed spindles.

I have Gravelys and on the 36 a spindle and (a trans) failed in under 200 hours(covered thankfully ) and had to replace one on the 50 after about 1500. I wish I would of went with Scags but the grass is always greener right?

drumbo
03-23-2006, 11:58 AM
No, I'm sorry. Your dealer, AND you are incorrect with this information.

To the best of my knowledge, a cranked up Dixie Chopper has the highest BTS.

Hang on...I posted too quickly. You are right about the recent drop. I just called the Exmark Home Office service center. Exmark tries to keep their blade speeds around 18,500 due to ANSE standards saying to stay UNDER 19,000 RPM.

The technician said that you can boost the RPMs on the mower which will translate into increased tip speed at the blade. He went over the equation of figuring tip speed with me:

[Blade length X pi (3.14159) X pulley RPM (attached to blade)] / 12 (inches) = Feet per Minute

BUT Exmark still claims the fastest blade tip speed regardless and Dixie Chopper claims "The World's Fastest Mower"...again...groundspeed.

I stand corrected on the actual number and apologize. Anything cranked up can have the fastest blade speed...we are talking factory settings...right?

captken
03-23-2006, 11:59 AM

That's pretty good advice, IMO...And watch what you run over...lol:waving:
kenny

TLS
03-23-2006, 12:00 PM
BUT Exmark still claims the fastest blade tip speed regardless

Again,...where do you get this info? :confused: :rolleyes:

drumbo
03-23-2006, 12:05 PM
Again,...where do you get this info? :confused: :rolleyes:

Home office...

6'7 330
03-23-2006, 12:08 PM
I have never seen Exmark put forth a claim, in advertising, print etc, where they claimed the fastest blade tip speed.

drumbo
03-23-2006, 12:10 PM
I have never seen Exmark put forth a claim, in advertising, print etc, where they claimed the fastest blade tip speed.

Well then... I will retract that claim until I can find out where to get it in writing....

at least the thread is rolling along...LOL

TLS
03-23-2006, 12:21 PM
Well then... I will retract that claim until I can find out where to get it in writing....

I'll be old and grey by then... :rolleyes:

Wait...I am already.:cry:

Richard Martin
03-23-2006, 07:51 PM

Exmark has nothing that turns 19,200 RPM, it's FPM (feet per minute).

Blade length X pi (3.14159) X pulley RPM (attached to blade) / 12 (inches) = Feet per Minute

BUT Exmark still claims the fastest blade tip speed regardless and Dixie Chopper claims "The World's Fastest Mower"...again...groundspeed.

My 60" Dixie came with a factory engine speed of 3750 with the blades on, a 1 to 1 pulley ratio and 20.5" blades. What's the BTS?

I'll save you the trouble and embarrassment of making a mistake. It's 20,125 FPM.

The Generac equiped Dixies turn 3850.

You clearly don't know jack about Dixie Choppers, have probably never driven one and most likely have never even seen one.

Tell me this. What is the fastest Dixie Chopper ever built at the factory, how many did they build of that particular model and what TV show was it seen on?

What TV show was Dixie Chopper recently featured on?

Answer these questions without doing an Internet search or going to the DC website.

I have never seen Exmark lay claim to the fastest BTS anywhere. In fact their representatives here at Lawnsite would never give advice on increasing engine RPM to increase BTS. I'm surprised the home office would even discuss it.

captken
03-23-2006, 07:59 PM
Exmark has nothing that turns 19,200 RPM, it's FPM (feet per minute).

My 60" Dixie came with a factory engine speed of 3750 with the blades on, a 1 to 1 pulley ratio and 20.5" blades. What's the BTS?

I'll save you the trouble and embarrassment of making a mistake. It's 20,125 FPM.

The Generac equiped Dixies turn 3850.

You clearly don't know jack about Dixie Choppers, have probably never driven one and most likely have never even seen one.

Tell me this. What is the fastest Dixie Chopper ever built at the factory, how many did they build of that particular model and what TV show was it seen on?

What TV show was Dixie Chopper recently featured on?

Answer these questions without doing an Internet search or going to the DC website.

I have never seen Exmark lay claim to the fastest BTS anywhere. In fact their representatives here at Lawnsite would never give advice on increasing engine RPM to increase BTS. I'm surprised the home office would even discuss it.

You have laid waste to this guy! :drinkup:

mike lane lawn care
03-23-2006, 08:09 PM
my mowers all have greasable spindles, like someone stated earlier, the heat does catch up with the spindles after a while, pumping in new grease increases their lifetime

drumbo
03-23-2006, 08:10 PM
But Dixie claims to be the fastest lawn mower...that was my initial issue. I know my loyalty to Exmark was dripping out too much...which is why I calmed down...quickly.

I have seen plenty of Dixies...we have a dealer here in town. Almost all guys have been running them for years...at least here. We have an Exmark dealer about 25 minutes away. I sought the Exmark out initially due to the fact that I got my first mower (an Exmark Viking) from my friend and loved it...still use it today!
I have been taking customers left & right from the Dixie users for 2 reasons...they are using the factory tires with the V-treads and they are ripping circles all over the place. Secondly, the Exmark seems to leave a more finished, manicured look.

No hard feelings. I was wrong...and something more rare to this industry...I apologized for it.

In case you missed it...Sorry.

drumbo
03-23-2006, 08:13 PM

I said that the technician said that you would have to increase the RPM to get a higher BTS. He never said (or suggested) that someone do that...as per ANSE standards it wouldn't be sound.

cbelawn
03-23-2006, 09:06 PM
[QUOTE=topsites]One thing worthy of mention is sealed bearings are capable of FAR higher rpm's than greasable

where did that come from?

best thing about greasable bearing is you can choose the grease to use. better/correct grease = less friction, less wear, and less heat.
message me for the best information on lubricants.

captken
03-23-2006, 09:10 PM
I said that the technician said that you would have to increase the RPM to get a higher BTS. He never said (or suggested) that someone do that...as per ANSE standards it wouldn't be sound.

Technician? Babe, I turn my own mower up. If it gets really thick and hairy, I bump the throttle up a bit to keep it steady, under load, at 3600 rpms. Without a load? You are looking at 4k. Can you say blown?...:cool2: wanna talk about blade tip speed?

John Gamba
03-23-2006, 09:14 PM
I said that the technician said that you would have to increase the RPM to get a higher BTS..

Who :confused: Would say that at exmark:usflag: Who, Who, Who?????

captken
03-23-2006, 09:17 PM
message me for the best information on lubricants.
Personal lubricant? Motion lotion?! lol, :drinkup: Midnight rendevous?

Richard Martin
03-24-2006, 04:43 AM
But Dixie claims to be the fastest lawn mower...that was my initial issue.

They were easily the fastest mower for a very long time. It was only recently that Hustler and, I think, Gravely stepped up to the plate with 15 MPH mowers that match Dixie's speed.

I have been taking customers left & right from the Dixie users for 2 reasons...they are using the factory tires with the V-treads and they are ripping circles all over the place. Secondly, the Exmark seems to leave a more finished, manicured look.

Leaving divots and circles all over the place is a case of operator error. With the super easy steering it isn't hard at all for a new operator or someone who doesn't care to tear up turf with the Turf Boss tires. If an operator was really having problems and cared about what they were doing they could easily switch to one of the other tires that Dixie sells or go aftermarket.

No hard feelings. I was wrong...and something more rare to this industry...I apologized for it.

In case you missed it...Sorry.

No problem.

Oh yeah, the answers to the question were:

1: The fastest Dixies were the turbine powered models that had ground speeds in excess of 60 MPH with the fastest one going in excess of 70 MPH.
2: They built 2 of them.
3: One of them was a "star" on the 1990s TV show Home Improvement with Tim Allen.
4: American Chopper.

John Gamba
03-24-2006, 05:58 AM
Personal lubricant? Motion lotion?! lol, :drinkup: Midnight rendevous?

Captain

You just dated yourself :laugh: :waving:

captken
03-24-2006, 08:23 AM
Captain

You just dated yourself :laugh: :waving:

I deserve it. I drank then got on the computer, I will now spend the morning apologizing to those I may have pizzed off:hammerhead:

John Gamba
03-24-2006, 08:53 AM
I deserve it. I drank then got on the computer, I will now spend the morning apologizing to those I may have pizzed off:hammerhead:

The more i have the better i type:clapping: I have not heard Motion Lotion in so long:laugh: Them sum good memories:waving:

Willofalltrades
03-24-2006, 09:17 AM
[QUOTE=TLS]

QUOTE]

Tritons are at 16500:usflag:

Did they slow the speed down that much? What happens when the mowing gets thick?

John Gamba
03-24-2006, 09:19 AM
[QUOTE=John Gamba]

Did they slow the speed down that much? Yes they did.

What happens when the mowing gets thick?

The triton keeps cutting :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :usflag:

It

Willofalltrades
03-24-2006, 09:39 AM
[QUOTE=Willofalltrades]

The triton keeps cutting :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :usflag:

It
Thats what I like to hear! :weightlifter:

John Gamba
03-24-2006, 09:57 AM
[QUOTE=John Gamba]
Thats what I like to hear! :weightlifter:

Its what i like too see:weightlifter:

Richard Martin
03-24-2006, 03:10 PM
[QUOTE=John Gamba]

Did they slow the speed down that much? What happens when the mowing gets thick?

You deliver more torque to the blades when you slow the BTS down with a pulley change. More torque equals more cutting power but it may also reduce the quality of cut at high mower speeds.

TLS
03-24-2006, 03:32 PM
The increased lift sail size of the Triton blades would have slowed down the engine RPM's on their smaller horsepower Lazers. Slowing the BTS down like Richard said prevents the engine from bogging in thick turf.

The verdict will still be out on the Triton's high speed mowing capabilities until the grass starts growing and guys start using their XS Lazers.

John Gamba
03-24-2006, 04:08 PM
[QUOTE=Willofalltrades]

but it may also reduce the quality of cut at high mower speeds.

Not with the deep deck.
Mr Martin i didnt post what you had with my name.

John Gamba
03-24-2006, 04:10 PM
The increased lift sail size of the Triton blades would have slowed down the engine RPM's on their smaller horsepower Lazers. Slowing the BTS down like Richard said prevents the engine from bogging in thick turf.

The slower blade speed is to reduce the turbulence and pressure under the deck. It makes is easier to cut weeds and thin grass.

Steppenwolf
03-24-2006, 07:49 PM
Spindles, I have greasable one's that I grease once a week during regular pm's with one shot of J Thomas Hi Temp grease. These four w/b's have more than 15000 hrs combined and I have not had one spindle go down. Each unit has 3 spindles so that is 45000 hours of trouble free service. I did replace a few bearings in the early years before they had the relief valve and the quality went up back in the early 90's.A little grease has seeped out on a couple around the seals but they are still tight. I am told that around here the guys with sealed bearings carry extra spindles with them,could be bs from the dealer.

old dog 80
03-24-2006, 08:05 PM
I have had both go bad.I had Encore mowers that regularly put out spindle
bearings-greaseable.They claimed I greased too much.I greased less as they
told me and still had them fail.I have had better luck with sealed bearings.I do
not mow in sandy soils.I do mow in lots of wet conditions.I do not pressure wash mowers.That is asking for all sorts of problems.I think hitting solid
objects (stones or property stakes or curbs ) has more to do with it.
The last I heard on blade tip speed was max of 22,000 and everyone is
being encouraged to lower it due to "thrown objects"

ProStreetCamaro
05-11-2006, 10:25 PM
Our lazer hp had 1 spindle go bad and was replaced under warranty. Since then we have gone to almost 2,400 hours on it and they are loud but still smooth and trouble free.

Our gravely pro-50 with greasable spindles went over 3,000 hours and were dead quiet and silky smooth when we sold the mower.

Our 2 bobcat 36" wb's had greasable spindles and went over 4,000 hours on each unit before we sold them and never had a problem out of a spindle.

Bottom line is greasable is the only way to go.

AdamChrap
05-11-2006, 10:44 PM
we had a old exmark with greasable's those spindles went over 2000 hrs. the new exmarks are non and i am lucky to get 500hrs out of one. that is if they don't break the crapy cast aluminum houseing first. I wont by anything with out a greas fitting anymore. But I am done with exmark anyways. I use to run nothing but them, I had 7 exmarks at one time but they are not keeping up with the rest.there are far better machines out there.

drumbo
05-11-2006, 11:25 PM
we had a old exmark with greasable's those spindles went over 2000 hrs. the new exmarks are non and i am lucky to get 500hrs out of one. that is if they don't break the crapy cast aluminum houseing first. I wont by anything with out a greas fitting anymore. But I am done with exmark anyways. I use to run nothing but them, I had 7 exmarks at one time but they are not keeping up with the rest.there are far better machines out there.

So what machines are you running now?

lawnboyblake
05-11-2006, 11:37 PM
How often do you guys grease your greasable spindles? I was told once that it is possible to blow the seals out? I have a JD M665 and wondered at how many hours you guys grease em' and how many pumps.. Thanks a lot

Dashunde
05-11-2006, 11:38 PM
This past weekend I brought my grandpa's 1967 Wheel Horse hydro tractor home. He has been mowing his 2 acres with this mower weekly for about 30 years. I think he has put one set of bearings in it in all that time - they are greasable.

I'm thinking about installing zerks in my spindles and my front castors. Both are sealed in on my 05 Gravely.