PDA

View Full Version : The Green Hand Blues

MOturkey
08-26-2005, 05:04 PM
Since we've been getting tons of rain here locally, the grass has come back in full force from the drought conditions of a month ago. For some reason, I've been having much greater problems with deck clogging than I usually do, even in the spring.

I mowed a 2 acre property I service the other day, and had to stop and clean the deck twice as the buildup was getting so bad the blades were hitting it. This was with only 6 days growth. One problem, is, I'm sure, the crabgrass, which is growing gangbusters with the heat, and the fact the high humidity prevents the grass from ever drying out completely (this was in the afternoon).

My question however, is whether or not blade wear could aggravate deck clogging? I have 3 sets of blades for the Gravely, and all are getting pretty well worn. They still lack perhaps 3/8 inch or so from being into the sloped, "high lift" portion of the blade. I'm thinking since the portion that creates the airflow is still the same it always has been, then there should be no difference, but realize that sometimes in the real world, things don't always work like they do on paper. I was trying to avoid buying a new set with ony 6 weeks or so left in our mowing season, partially because I'm toying with the idea of trading mowers next spring, and will switch to a different size deck.

Just wondering if any of you have noticed this effect, and how far down you will continue to sharpen and use your blades. Thanks.

jbell113
08-26-2005, 05:24 PM
Im sorry I didnt quite get that....did you say the actual cutting edge of the blade is 3/8 of an inch away from the lifter of the blade and if so I would say you blades were wore out months ago. But to answer the clogging problem...I have had problems all summer with it due to massive amounts of rain fall here it rains every day. I havent seen this much rain since the flood of 94.. But I think it is time for new blades.