PDA

View Full Version : what happens here?

bobbygedd
08-26-2005, 07:45 PM
this happened to me this week. #1- the people were getting a new pool liner put in. i cut the front, didn't cut the back (safety hazard, 3 men putting in new liner). the client goes, "well, they'll be done in a little while, you can hang out, or just come back and do the backyard." #2- the street was being paved, the workers told me no driving on the street. i actually thought about parking on the next street, and driving the mower to the house using the sidewalk. that thought lasted about 1.5 seconds, then i snapped out of it. #3- client was having work done inside, but the contractor had all his tools on the front lawn, and a saw thingy set up, where he was cutting a door or something. client said, "oh, he will not be here tommorow, you can come back tommorow." i just smiled and drove away. what is your policy for these 3 scenerios? return the next day? return next week? charge for the wasted trip?

Joe721
08-26-2005, 07:56 PM
I would just go back tomorrow and not add any fees unless they have done this before.. if they've done this before then definently charge for a wasted trip but first time ahh give them a chance.

jbell113
08-26-2005, 07:59 PM
I guess if its not a long drive I would go back the next day...if it was friday I will be back monday

Lake Claire Lawn Ranger
08-26-2005, 08:43 PM
Depending on how important the customer is to me, I would schedule to go back and treat it like I had been rained out. This is as long as they don't make a habit of scheduling work that conflicts with the mowing schedule without letting me know.

lawnman_scott
08-26-2005, 09:16 PM
Go next week, usual charges apply. I may go do the paving one the next day if its not too far out of the way, then again I may not.

OnMyOwn
08-26-2005, 10:34 PM
If I show up to work...I show up to invoice. Should circumstances beyond my control, yet in the client's control stop my service from happening, I will still invoice the client. I will, however, try to trim, clean, etc. so they get some bang for their bucks!

daveintoledo
08-26-2005, 10:38 PM
they should have called you and cancelled if they had work being done that day, im pretty shure you stick to a tight schedule, no phone call and i show up, its billed....

grassyfras
08-26-2005, 11:45 PM
Depeneds if I think I could get away with not comming back. I mean you did show up to work. No one called you about it. A trip is a trip.

alwaysgreener
08-27-2005, 07:12 AM
I have to agree with you on this one.. Customer is at fault, #1 they should have called and let you know that they are having work done to the pool and please reschedule. #2 they should have called and let you know that road work was being done on there street and please reschedule. I would charge them accordingly.

TURFLORD
08-27-2005, 09:13 AM
Park around the corner, mow as much as possible, blow off trimming and edging, bill the full amount, and clean it up next week. Every once in a while you have to work around other contractors. Roofers,pool people, painters, etc. Customers will understand. If the other contractors posess any courtesy they will move as much as possible out of your way.

pjslawncare/landscap
08-27-2005, 11:04 AM
Its only grass, nobody will be harmed if it all doesnt get cut on your visit. I will cut every thing I can safely cut and then cut it twice (if needed) next visit.

topsites
08-27-2005, 11:14 AM
I would just go back tomorrow and not add any fees unless they have done this before.. if they've done this before then definently charge for a wasted trip but first time ahh give them a chance.

Several things - First I agree with being nice on a one-time deal, I get plenty of those and so long it's not a regular thing (like once or twice a year I can deal with it but anymore than that NO). Of course with 50-some customers I get a wasted trip at least once/week but it still adds out to about one/year per customer and is thus tolerable, at least for me.

Scenario where front CAN be cut but back has to wait or whatever - As for me, I cut whole yards ONLY, I don't DO half a yard now and half a yard later. So either the whole yard waits OR the whole yard gets cut now, take your pick. If the whole yard CAN'T be cut now, the choice is already made.

IF there comes a time when I start to consider charging them for wasted trip, it's time to drop this customer as it has been my experience THESE particular customers waste a LOT of trips over time and I have found it difficult to get the wasted-trip charge out of them, perhaps your experience is different.

I do NOT 'hang out' and wait, you can forget this nonsense immediately and I can get pretty pissed off you catch me on the wrong day with this little funny test. Now if it only takes a FEW minutes (20 minutes is WAY too long and yes I WILL start the stopwatch, you got like 2 minutes) then of course I wait and even 5 minutes is ok but I know what I'm talking about is the pita who likes to see just HOW long I will sit there and wait for them to get their chit in order, sorry but I don't do that.

There comes from time to time a customer who apparently enjoys giving me this type of wasted-trip or 'The Mickey Mouse runaround', as I like to call it. I cross these time-wasters off my schedule asap and forget the fee, these folk just want to see how many times this little doggy jumps through their hoop, here fido, come'ere and jump through my hoop awwww that so nice good doggie here's your cookie heh heh heh.

I dunno exactly what gets these people off when they do this to me (they don't no more) but what I DO know is it has to do with money as these people like to see just HOW much I'll tolerate before I blow up so in the case of such a pita they find out real quick my fuse is about 1/16th of an inch long and I can blow up in less than a second flat.

topsites
08-27-2005, 11:17 AM
Its only grass, nobody will be harmed if it all doesnt get cut on your visit. I will cut every thing I can safely cut and then cut it twice (if needed) next visit.

So then you charge half-a-cut per visit?

My problem with this is NOW the back is halfway taller than the front or vice-versa and it becomes a pita sooner or later, I guess certain exceptions DO exist but not in the case of a pita is all I'm saying.

topsites
08-27-2005, 11:36 AM
this happened to me this week. #1- the people were getting a new pool liner put in. i cut the front, didn't cut the back (safety hazard, 3 men putting in new liner). the client goes, "well, they'll be done in a little while, you can hang out, or just come back and do the backyard."
#2- the street was being paved, the workers told me no driving on the street. i actually thought about parking on the next street, and driving the mower to the house using the sidewalk. that thought lasted about 1.5 seconds, then i snapped out of it. #3- client was having work done inside, but the contractor had all his tools on the front lawn, and a saw thingy set up, where he was cutting a door or something. client said, "oh, he will not be here tommorow, you can come back tommorow." i just smiled and drove away. what is your policy for these 3 scenerios? return the next day? return next week? charge for the wasted trip?

#1, #2 AND #3 - Come back another day, no charge. All of these situations apparently are one-time deals, there is NO way a customer will continuously put in pools or porches / decks or what-have-yous and the street paving is also a once in a while thing but do watch it and see if any of them make it a regular thing, so to speak.

Again I don't cut half a yard, it just doesn't happen - All or nothing.

I do have one customer likes to do it to me about once every 2 months or so for some reason there is the come-back-later thing BUT they are in a neighborhood where I have like 7 yards all within 1 mile from them so I've learned to schedule their cut ONLY when I have one of the other ones also in that area so when they waste my time it's no big deal. That and I like them as customers there is no problem in any other way so it tests me SOME but in the end I find it tolerable.

Another way to say it is, you can Mickey-Mouse me around SOME but don't do it a lot and we'll be fine while the short fuse is reserved for those whom I think will do it more than a little bit OR in more ways than one. It is hard to tell, so I let it go for a bit but after 2-3 visits (or 4) if MOST of them had the mickey-mouse thing going on every time I come out it's this same old song and dance, man I gotta go...