PDA

View Full Version : Help. preparing for sod estimate

AboveTheCut
08-26-2005, 09:39 PM
I have a new customer called and wants me to prepare a 20 x 30 area for sod. He will be installing the sod. He just wants me to do the grunt work. I am thinking that I will just use a sod cutter on it and till the area. I am going to look at the area in the morning and I would like to have an idea of what I should charge for this. He is having the sod delivered on Wednesday and is running out of time.
thanks

Coffeecraver
08-27-2005, 04:50 AM
Hourly rate x 8 hours plus equipment rental

:)

Dreams To Designs
08-27-2005, 08:25 AM
You have a good plan. Great idea to till, but will you till in any organic matter and include that in your price?

prizeprop
08-27-2005, 09:06 AM
Find out his budget or give him two estimates. Reason ,if you use a sod cutter and the ground is already level or acceptable you should be there a short time. If you start tilling and adding soil, disturbing the grade with the rest of the lawn, rolling it to stablize.etc. your running into a big job. customer might only want to spend 2-4 hundred dollars. would do nicely for option 1, however option 2 lots of work and customer not willing to spend $800 or so. jmo

bobbygedd
08-27-2005, 03:02 PM
tell him honest abe freed the slaves. if he wants the sod done, you'll do it. if he's looking for a laborer, he can look elsewhere

RedWingsDet
08-27-2005, 05:07 PM
650 shouldnt take more than 2 hours with a sod cutter

hole in one lco
08-27-2005, 11:35 PM
tell him honest abe freed the slaves. if he wants the sod done, you'll do it. if he's looking for a laborer, he can look elsewhere
thats what id tell him to . He wonts you to do all the bi%ch work and hill do the gravy work

Ramairfreak98ss
08-28-2005, 11:39 PM
thats what id tell him to . He wonts you to do all the bi%ch work and hill do the gravy work

yeah sounds like some of my past customers that are looking for you to say $50 for 6hrs worth of work, tell him a high price b/c hes probably a cheapzzz anyway and if he dont like it tough. let him do it. Hell hire some kids to lay it down and all die and then next season youll get the whole job lol.

AboveTheCut
08-29-2005, 06:41 PM
I went to the site this morning to meet the homeowner and give him an estimate. I looked at the yard and told him $550. He said, "Great! Then $750 it is". He then went on to say how much time and money I was saving him. He asked if I could do some other landscaping jobs for him in the future. I used a sod cutter on the entire area, raked the grass up, ran the sod cutter over it again a little deeper and then I used a Mantis (only tiller I had) on it. I was there for two hours. Not bad money payup . I wish all my customers could be half this good.

Ramairfreak98ss
08-29-2005, 08:42 PM
so you got 750 instead? haha, thats awesome.

AboveTheCut
08-29-2005, 08:55 PM
and a happy customer that says he wants to call me for additional planting, etc. The funny thing is, I had told the customer at first that I was too busy to do this job. Boy, am I glad that I managed to squeeze it in.