PDA

View Full Version : Who would load up for $55

jbell113
08-26-2005, 10:24 PM
If you got a call on friday night to mow saturday and you did not plan on working ....would you do it for $55 and it was under 10 miles away...about 1/2 acre?

topsites
08-26-2005, 10:29 PM
Way I see it, Lawncare is agricultural and from what I understand, ag folk work Mon-Fri FULL-time while Saturday is optional, could be a full day but really a half-day is nice as a way to finish off the week / get a head-start on next.

Most the time I don't leave the house for anything less than 3 yards and I prefer 4, but then I hardly get $55 for a full acre, cut + trim.

So yeah I likely would do it, $55 for 1/2 acre up to 10 miles one way. Couple hours at most with driving and all and IF I didn't have a full schedule, that is.

Sky King
08-26-2005, 10:30 PM
Yes, Yes,Yes

daveintoledo
08-26-2005, 10:34 PM
subtract the gas cost and travel time cost,..... your windsheild time is of value also

most of my lawns are within 5 miles, so i may do this alot if i feel like it, some are a couple blocks away....

jbell113
08-26-2005, 10:35 PM
I was hoping for a positive answer on this cuz I got that call tonight. Thanks for the quick reply

jbell113
08-26-2005, 10:37 PM
subtract the gas cost and travel time cost,..... your windsheild time is of value also

most of my lawns are within 5 miles, so i may do this alot if i feel like it, some are a couple blocks away....

I did add $10 to the cost. I qouted it at $45 last week

QualityLawnCare4u
08-26-2005, 10:46 PM
I would do it in a heartbeat, Saturday morning or Saturday night at 10PM, makes no difference to me.

jbell113
08-26-2005, 10:51 PM
I would do it in a heartbeat, Saturday morning or Saturday night at 10PM, makes no difference to me.

Hows business down in your neck of the woods...Has it picked up any?

A+ Lawncare
08-26-2005, 10:55 PM
what size mower will you be using?

10 miles away= 10-12 mins if your able to drive 60 mph.... more realistic, 15mins X 2 (both ways)= 30 mins windshield time....$5 in truck fuel & about another $8 for all equipment fuel for an hr. allowance.... $5 + $8= $13 in fuel expense

22 mins in travel = $22.... $22 + $13= $35 dollars total.... $55- $35= $20

i'de charge a drop gate of $30 so that would include a job under .25 acre = 10 mins or less.... so .50 acres = a job that could be in & out for 45 mins including travel (actual cut time= 15mins or so) w/o expenses... $35 + $13 expense = $48....

if all this makes sense, go out there & GIT R DONE!

LAWNS AND MOWER
Is this a one time mow, or did you land the account??

QualityLawnCare4u
Hows business down in your neck of the woods...Has it picked up any?

I have picked up a few new ones and done quite a few one time jobs, but its still a far cry from what it used to be. I talked with a LCO that has been in biz for 21 years, is just her and her son and they do excellent work, are down to 10 yards. Said it was the worst past year they ever had. Same thing Im running into, the lowballers who are buying the 799 riders and think they are going to get rich! :D

jbell113
08-26-2005, 11:03 PM
Is this a one time mow, or did you land the account??

It is a one time deal and I will be using a 52" walk behind. The people are moving out so I told her payment must be in cash and she agreed. Funny thing about it is I mow the prop right next door and the people will be moving in the house the lady is moving out of so I will be mowing it any way untill the contract ends next march. I hope this made sense.

grassyfras
08-26-2005, 11:43 PM
I probbly would do it cuase I would feel like I would have to but I wanted want to. Its not enough money to go get the trailer get dirty drive work come home shower and get on. Inless I had no family or nothing going in that day at all and was just really bored. So I would do it if I HAD too.

iluvbermuda
08-26-2005, 11:55 PM
Yes Yes Yes

lwcmattlifter
08-27-2005, 12:01 AM
It depends on your situation. Do you feel like working? If it were me, I wouldn't do it. When the truck and trailer are put away work is over. See ya on Monday.

1MajorTom
08-27-2005, 12:01 AM
If you got a call on friday night to mow saturday and you did not plan on working ....would you do it for $55 and it was under 10 miles away...about 1/2 acre?
If Matt didn't have any other work scheduled for Saturday, no he would not go out for one lawn.

geogunn
08-27-2005, 12:17 AM
If Matt didn't have any other work scheduled for Saturday, no he would not go out for one lawn.

...unless Ms. JODINE wanted him to.

GEO :waving:

TURFLORD
08-27-2005, 12:31 PM
No..................

bobbygedd
08-27-2005, 01:17 PM
i'm going out today to mow for $54. i skipped half my lawns this week due to no growth, and i had two people call crying they NEED it cut. i know there isn't any grass there, but, if they want me to run it over, then i will.

Richard Martin
08-27-2005, 01:35 PM
One timers get done on Monday. No exceptions.

Kelly's Landscaping
08-27-2005, 02:15 PM
$500 I would still pause and think about it but for $55 NO NO NO NO you woke me up for that.

jtrice11
08-27-2005, 03:11 PM

Yep, because its not hte money, its the reputation that you'll get the job done.

Fantasy Lawns
08-27-2005, 05:14 PM
No way I would go out on a Sat .... even for $200

But I would be able to get 1 of my guys to go out n do it fore $55 while I keep the other $145 ;-)

GrassBustersLawn
08-27-2005, 06:12 PM
NO.

We work Mon - Fri just like everyone else.

We have a SCHEDULE. Get on MY schedule or it doesn't get done.

No way it is worth hooking up & loading up for $55!

Mike

Patrick.B
08-27-2005, 08:13 PM
i would go cut it if i were you cause theys have alot of lowballer would go cut it cheaper lol..........just remember guys,,,,,Only month and half left of grass season ...make all the money you can ....heck ..im working 7 days a week...i just cut around 4 to 6 yard a day on weekend but that more money in my pocket ,,, :blob3:

topsites
08-27-2005, 08:33 PM
NO.

We work Mon - Fri just like everyone else.

We have a SCHEDULE. Get on MY schedule or it doesn't get done.

No way it is worth hooking up & loading up for $55!

Mike

Man do you people UNhook every day? I leave my stuff loaded, most of my work is grass-cutting and the wb STAYS on the trailer, the trailer hitch is PADLOCKED to the truck, I'm almost ALWAYS loaded & hooked up with mowing equipment. I change blades and grease zircs and re-fuel the wb right there ON the trailer, heck I installed a chain-striping kit with it sitting on the trailer.
Most of the time all I gotta do is hop in the truck and turn the key, and I'm gone... One yard wouldn't even phase me into doing maintenance when I get back, I'd just top off the fuel in the tank and see you next day... And IF you take it easy you MIGHT can not get too dirty, might be able to wash hands and be ready for dinner, so to speak.

I'm not totally disagreeing, I have people sometimes walk up to me RIGHT in the middle of a busy day (most days for me ARE busy anymore) and I can just tell by their attitude they not only think I can take care of their yard right NOW but that since "we're already here" that it will be LESS than the customary rate now THOSE ppls can feel free to kiss my arse ... But 55 bucks for 1/2 acre is NOT pita or low-baller money, at least not in my book, most likely I would've done it.

topsites
08-27-2005, 08:35 PM
i would go cut it if i were you cause theys have alot of lowballer would go cut it cheaper lol..........just remember guys,,,,,Only month and half left of grass season ...make all the money you can ....heck ..im working 7 days a week...i just cut around 4 to 6 yard a day on weekend but that more money in my pocket ,,, :blob3:

More than a few of my yards grow grass right up until xmas thou they DO start dropping out around october and ALL of them slow way DOWN, now is the time to do a final sprint you are correct, september is a BUSY month, almost as busy as spring but not quite.

jbell113
08-27-2005, 11:20 PM
Well I went and did it today and it was TALL. When I originally qouted it wasnt bad but it had grown another 4 to 5 inches since last week. Took me 2 hrs...she gave me $60. Usually I dont go out on weekends but I just paid my mower off ($ 3756.70) and I want to make some of it back but for now Im going to take all I can Mon. thru Sat but I will not work on sunday unless its triple time.

Patrick.B
08-27-2005, 11:49 PM
unhook ? lol My trailer been hook to my truck since april with a lock on my hitch...and some of you dont work on weekend ?? and you charge extra cause it weekend ?? LOLOL that so funny !! heck ..i work sun up till sun down everyday and only day im off earily is sunday ...i go to church and cut 2 to 4 yards and back home around 5 and back to church ,,Thanks the good Lord for my business and bring food on the table.....Amen ..

SOMM
08-28-2005, 01:52 AM
3 x $60 = $180

that's more like it !

yrdandgardenhandyman
08-28-2005, 02:13 AM
Worked today. $319.00 profit after taxes, and all other costs of doing business. Worked 3 hrs. payup

Richard Martin
08-28-2005, 06:40 AM
..and some of you dont work on weekend ?? and you charge extra cause it weekend ?? LOLOL that so funny !! heck ..i work sun up till sun down everyday and only day im off earily is sunday ...i go to church and cut 2 to 4 yards and back home around 5 and back to church

Buy yourself a bigger mower and you wouldn't have to work so much or is that all you can afford after having worked yourself to death 7 days a week?