PDA

View Full Version : Bee Season

OnMyOwn
08-26-2005, 11:40 PM
Words from the wise, or should I say the stung! Bee season is coming up in the midwest. With all of the apples on the trees / ground, the bees start hanging out more than usual. Remember to wear tight-legged shorts.

jbell113
08-26-2005, 11:57 PM
Your right, september here the yellow jackets go into the ground ...hit a nest every year. So far ive been able to outrun every encounter and starting sept 1 ..I wear long pants and sleeve shirts.

lqmustang
08-27-2005, 12:08 AM
I got nailed on the leg Tuesday this week. Thought maybe I ticked off a nest, but there wasn't another bee around anywhere. The little sh*t just came out of the blue and nailed me. Broke my nice 2 year streak of not getting stung. :angry:

jt5019
08-27-2005, 12:36 AM
In a two week period i got hit 4 seperate times... man i was pissed.since then ive been doing good and being a lot more careful :)

mcwlandscaping
08-27-2005, 01:17 AM
I was cleaning my eXmark last week and found a huge nest under the control panel. Dam did that give me a scare!!! Knocked it off with a pole! Have not gotten stung this year (knock on wood!). As of mid sept. long pants and long sleeves always!

Bulletproof
08-27-2005, 01:40 AM
I keep getting stung while I trim. I've probably been stung 10 times this week, I'm under seige by those little buggers. Watch out they hate the sound of trimmers.

rodfather
08-27-2005, 07:04 AM
Ran over a yellow jacket nest in the ground last week. Stung 4 times, 2 days of pain and 2 more of itching.

MBDiagMan
08-27-2005, 08:14 AM
Adding to that warning. In Texas the Africanized bees are as far North as the Red River. Physically they are the very same as honey bees, but they have an aggressive attitude such that they send the ENTIRE hive of bees after you. They have been known to kill people, and when autopsied, these bees are even found in their victims lungs and stomachs.

If you are in an area far enough South, watch closely.

Have a great day,
Doc

TURFLORD
08-27-2005, 10:06 AM
I've only been stung once this year but dodged the bullet about 5 more times. Age and wisdom I guess. I carry cans of Spectracide from Depot. Knocks'em right out of the sky. Instant death. Best $4 you can spend.

prizeprop
08-27-2005, 10:20 AM
Found a yellow jackets nest in my lawn the other day, narrow escape on my part. I didnt have any spray so after they mellowed out I stuck a garden hose in the hole and let the water run for 15 minutes. After periodic quick looks, the water never came out of the hole.I wonder where it goes or if there is another exit somewhere in the vacinity? Any input on the underground make up of a jackets nest. thanks

Sharp Services
08-27-2005, 05:23 PM
Well it is funny that y'all posted this about the bees. Darn things ... while cutting a new yard last night I ran over an underground nest (Prizeprop - they do have a rear exit hole) anyway I did not figure out what had happened until I had been stung about 9 times (you know we are slow down south). I then ran to the truck and they kept me hostage for about 15 minutes.

I hate those things. I am stopping by Slowe's on the way home and getting some of that Spectracide TURFLORD mentioned.

Down with the Bee's, :help:

1MajorTom
08-27-2005, 05:29 PM
It's been a real bad season for Matt this year, the ground bees have really done a number on him. The worst is when they get down in his sock, there is nothing worse for him than trying to get his boot off while they continue to bite him. The worst this year was when he got stung 15 or 16 times all on the legs. I was really worried. What really made him mad was the customer knew those bees were there and didn't tell him!!!

Olylawnboy
08-27-2005, 07:59 PM
I knew I should have skipped reading this thread this morning. Got stung for the first time this year...ouch.

greywynd
08-27-2005, 10:30 PM
The other day I was doing some work at home, had the truck parked with the tailgate down, and my 4yo son (5 in Oct) came along munching on an apple for a snack. (Never really thought about bees etc, and his apple at this point.) He often likes to sit in the back of the truck and watch what I'm doing, so, he's there for a bit, and I hear "There's a bee", I look to see, figuring that there's one flying near him, but there's actually a yellow jacket on his fingers, (I think eating the apple juice off his fingers.) He was sitting quiet, not moving, I told him to sit still, he kept watching it, and me, til it flew off......I was amazed to see a 4 yo with such patience with this....especially when he did get stung just a year ago. My wife and I always tell him to stop and stay still when a bee or anything is around, and they will usually leave you alone.....what do you know, guess he does listen occasionally after all :blob3: :blob3: :blob3:

mcwlandscaping
08-27-2005, 10:33 PM
Last time i tried the sit still thing, i got stung by one lone bee! Now i get away!!! I like watching bumble bees though!

The LawnSmith
08-27-2005, 11:07 PM
Reminder for those like me who are allergic to bee stings. Keep a sting kit in your truck, You never know when you might need it. I have been stung many times throughout my life, and never had a problem until a couple years ago, when I was dropping a tree and a branch of the tree fell on a ground nest. I was covered with yellow jackets in a matter of seconds. ;) Talk about a suckfest!! I was stung somewhere over 70 times and there was no one around. My heartrate sped up like a Mettalica song and my throat felt like I was being suffocated. I jumped in the truck and luckily found someone who drove me the rest of the way to the hospital. Yellow Jackets send out a chemical warning when they feel they are being endangered, (like swatting at them), where the rest of the colony will go into the attack mode. I see them a lot now when I am mowing, and always wonder when I'll mow over a ground nest. I was lucky enough a couple weeks ago to see some yellow jackets swarming over a nest and the owner mixed up some hot water and dishwashing liquid and poured down the hole. They all died. I had never heard of that before, but it worked. If you are allergic to bees, again, carry a bee sting kit, and check the expiration date on it. If you get stung and have a drink cooler handy, rub ice on the sting, it will help a lot to relieve the pain. Just my 2 cents.....

Lawnworks
08-28-2005, 12:34 AM
Funny how I came accross this thread tonight. Spreading mulch at my house on an off day and get stung in the face by a hornet.... awesome. It got me in the lip, and the swelling took off! Pretty soon I looked worse than Bubba on Forrest Gump! Shrimp stew, shrimp burgers, shrimp cake, shrimp ice cream......... I had to get a steroid shot after ice and benedry didn't work. Boy that shot worked though. All the swelling is gone after about 8 hours. I think it would have last 2-3 days if I hadn't gotten that shot.

SOMM
08-28-2005, 02:11 AM
We hear that close to the hive, when a bee's body is crushed by swatting it produces an odor that incites other bees to attack in greater numbers.
Anyone else know about this?

Got one hellacious hornet's sting to the top ear-tip last week, removing old brush pile. Itched all week.
Nuked the entire hive with the 25 foot can of hornet spray. Glad the spray can was in the truck's tool box! Payback's an (#)Itch!
:p

mcwlandscaping
08-28-2005, 02:14 AM
We hear that close to the hive, when a bee's body is crushed by swatting it produces an odor that incites other bees to attack in greater numbers.
Anyone else know about this?

Got one hellacious hornet's sting to the top ear-tip last week, removing old brush pile. Itched all week.
Nuked the entire hive with the 25 foot can of hornet spray. Glad the spray can was in the truck's tool box! Payback's an (#)Itch!
:p
I heard that a few years ago. I haven't stepped on a bee since! I don't know if its true but until i hear otherwise, im gonna believe it! Thanks for bringing that up!

daveyo
08-28-2005, 10:40 AM
I was trimming some miscanthus grass last week (customer request) when I got stung on the finger. I thought my hedger shocked me, I thought thats strang. Then out of no where I was surrounded by about thirty bees, I ran across the parking lot as I was being stung all over my face, neck, arms and back :angry: . Dam yellow jackets nest in the ground right in the middle of the miscanthus, be careful trimming too.

Dave
O'Donnell Landscaping

stevesmowing
08-28-2005, 11:15 AM
I ran over a ground nest last week with about 200 or so. I got 4 stings. I carry meat tenderizer in the truck and this helps reducing swelling a lot. You make a paste using water and just put it on the sting.

MOW ED
08-28-2005, 11:37 AM
A true Anaphylactic reaction will kill you if you are allergic and don't get help immediately.
I just had a near miss on the ambulance yesterday.

You can be stung for the first time and have little to no symptoms. The first sting sensitizes you. The next time you are stung and every one there after are the bad ones. Your body will flood with histamine. Lots of other things can happen like nausea, hives, itching, swelling, and worse of all difficulty breathing which can result in not breathing.

The cure is medical care ASAP. We give 2 main drugs that interrupt the reaction. Diphenhydramine is one of them, good news for you is that this is Benadryl which is available over the counter and can be kept in your truck. Get the liquid form. The other is Epinepherine which is not available to you unless you are prescribed an EPI Pen Kit by your Doctor. How do you know you need one? You won't until you have your first reaction.

The reaction and severity can take place in seconds to a few minutes after being stung depending on a few factors. If you feel any of the above symptoms call 911 immediately or get to a clinic/hospital if you are close. Both an ambulance and a hospital have what it takes to save your life and it is relatively easy to do if it is a timely call for help.
If you have any questions on this PM me and I will help you out. Stay Safe.

SproulsLawnCare
08-28-2005, 11:41 AM
I feel for all of you! Getting stung by bees just plain sux. Thankfully so far, I am not allergic to bee stings. That could change though.

On another note: call me nuts if you will, but I can still remember all the fun I used to have with bees when I was a kid. We had an apple tree in our yard that didn't produce a decent apple. They would fall on the ground and rot, attracting a huge amount of yellow jackets. My weekly fun was running over those apples and watching the apples fly out the chute along with the little yellow streaks of the bees. Those little idiots were so intent on eating the apples that they wouldn't fly away when I approached them with the rider. I'm not sure if it was vengeance that made it so fun, or if it was just a little down-home fun like tip'n cows!

Ramairfreak98ss
08-29-2005, 12:08 AM
last week was my first bee sting... well 2nd, but last one a month ago was doing hedge work and a little ground yellow jacket nailed me THROUGH my socks.. anyway, i went over something, still never saw them, all of a sudden walking behind the walk behing, a brown full size wasp was flying around literally in circles in my left ear. like someone flicking their fingers around in your ear, i let the machine go and swatted around my ear a few times to knock it loose but it already stung the bridge in my ear and was hurting like a mofo, i instantly was able to pull out the huge stinger about 1-2mm long and side of my ear/face puffed up large, i put ice on it which helped a lot. It hurt pretty good for about 5hrs after. I still cut the rest of the lawn too just held ice on the side of my face for a bit until i was done the last 20 minutes of lawn. :realmad: