PDA

View Full Version : Customer saved me ...

SunSwept
08-27-2005, 01:35 AM
I was mowing at the very back of a property when I looked towards the street. Sure enough, someone is at the trailor helping themself to a few things. In fact, there were two at the trailor and another in a vehicle stopped next to the trailor.

I shut down the mower, pulled the key and start running towards the street. They see me and I know that they are grabbing what ever they can while I am running ... their plan looks to be to grab as much as they can before I get too close.

Just as I am coming around the house into the front yard I hear Ka-Pow! A gun shot. I first think "they are shooting at me" and I stop dead in my tracks and look at them. They are frozen, looking towards the house. I turn and see the customer with a gun pointed at them.

"Put it all back." Was the only thing he said to them.

He asked me what I wanted to do with them and I said to let them go. I didn't want the police around because I didn't want the customer to get into a bunch of trouble for shooting a warning shot into the air or threatening them with a handgun.

Believe it or not, this was the fist time I ever cut for the guy.

OK, now the questions: 1) Anything like that ever happen to you? 2) I knocked 1/2 off of the bill for this and the next cut (he saved me a LOT more) ... would you have done the same? 3) Was I wrong in letting them go? I suspect that they might try it again BUT they sure looked as though they needed to change their pants. I also got their license number and had a little "fun" with them using an axe handle I keep around.

burns60
08-27-2005, 01:44 AM
Saw a guy rummaging around in my truck and trailor one day as I was mowing a distance from him, but never anything like this. For sure I would reward the customer as you did, he deserved it. Well, you probably should have turned them in. The customer probably is aware of the trouble he may be in for the "warning" shot, but that was your judgement call to make. Glad you are not out any equipment and you or your customer were not hurt, although it sounds like the customer never intended to get hurt, just be the "hurter".

Itsgottobegreen
08-27-2005, 01:54 AM
lets just say thats a customer you want to keep. :D

sheshovel
08-27-2005, 04:20 AM
COOL!!Mabey they will think about it twice next time!

WLC
08-27-2005, 05:44 AM
:blob3: Hell yeah!!! Tell us more about the axe handle! :blob3: Turn em' in!!! .....what warning shot? gun? huh? officer let me explain...

LandscapeSolutions
08-27-2005, 06:40 AM
Thats one hell of a customer! I really don't understand the mentality that people who steal things use.........you'd think they know it is morally wrong and illegal. :realmad: If I ever caught someone attempting to steal any of my equipment I'd bet the living daylights outta them. Hell....maybe I should keep a pair of handcuffs in my truck and then once someone tries to jack my stuff I'll cuff em to street sign or something....................

I've heard there is a LCO in my town that steals other companies equipment. Ive never witnessed it, but I wouldnt doubt the validity of it. Afterall, the magnets on his truck say, " Perfection, Lock Smith, Security." Perfection is his LCO name, but locksmith and security?????? I guess he would know how to pop a lock.............

Sharp Services
08-27-2005, 06:41 AM
Does your customer have any friends in South Carolina, if so please ask him to give them my number. I hope you remember him at Christmas.

I think you did the right thing. My full time job for the past 16 years is that of a police officer (9 more until I can retire and cut grass full time) and I know that your customer would be in trouble. Warning shoots are not allowed and by law you can't use a gun unless you are protecting someone or yourself against physical harm.

That said ... I am glad for you :) If more people did what your customer did, I probably would not have chains and locks running through all my equipment and could save time and make more money. I bet I spend 10 or 15 minutes per job messing with the locks.

I think you were lucky and I am glad that you did not have to spend the rest of the day buying new equipment.

1MajorTom
08-27-2005, 07:08 AM
Sounds like you were able to remain pretty calm, glad to hear it worked out for you. Yep I think taking something off the customers bill is a good thing to do in this situation.

MarcSmith
08-27-2005, 07:47 AM
I know your in GA, and its against teh lat not to carry a gun, but remember what goes up, must come down. I hope it did not come down in a populated area. Unless he shot the ground.

I would have called the cops...Cut the grass for free....at the very least...

Mr Officer that was not a gun, it was my lawnmoewr backfiring after I jumped off it to beat the punks ass...

My client never fired a shot....

SWD
08-27-2005, 08:01 AM
One of the things that makes Texas an okay state to live is deadly force is allowed to protect/prevent property loss.
I would not of mentioned the customer shooting in the air to the police, and I would of had the cops involved.
As far as the customer themselves, I wouldn't cut for free although they would have had a higher priority in the work schedule.

MBDiagMan
08-27-2005, 08:10 AM
Now that's how it's supposed to work! If that happened more often there would be MUCH less thievery going on. In Texas crime has gone DOWN since the concealed carry licenses began to be issued. Once the punks know that there's a possibility that the people they are messing with might have a gun, they lose a lot of their boldness.

The punks that were trying to steal your equipment will probably go on being punks and thieves, but they will not be near as bold. They will learn to be sneakier. As far as I'm concerned there should be SERIOUS punishment for such punks.

Many years ago, before the courts became so liberalized, doing anything that took away from a mans livelihood such as stealing his horse or his tools or his equipment was seen by the law as a worse crime than steeling something like items that were less necessary for life such as jewelry.

These punks were stealing the tools of your trade and indirectly limiting your ability to earn a living and feed your family. Generally speaking, todays courts go to great lengths to protect punks like this by just slapping them on the hand and putting them back on the street to steal some more leaving a hard working guy like yourself to go back to cutting grass with a pocket knife or whatever you have left.

It wasn't that long ago when, as youngsters, punks like this when caught were taken behind a barn by the local sheriff and given an attitude adjustment. I am not talking about a renegade cop, but a responsible person showing them that there are consequences to their actions. In those days such thievery was very uncommon. In contrast today it is all too common for a parent that never disciplined a child in any way to take someone to court that gave their little Johnny the discipline that they needed. In todays world such attitude adjustments just can't happen and the crime rates and loss of character show the results of such a permissive attitude.

As far as your decision to not call the police, I think you made the right decision at the time for the right reason. In this crazy world we live in now, the punks would probably have been slapped on the wrist while your customer would have been in big trouble. As far as I'm concerned the customer should get a medal and the punks should be thrown in the pokey for a LONG time.

My $0.02,
Doc

LawnScapers of Dayton
08-27-2005, 08:28 AM
One of the things that makes Texas an okay state to live is deadly force is allowed to protect/prevent property loss.
I would not of mentioned the customer shooting in the air to the police, and I would of had the cops involved.
As far as the customer themselves, I wouldn't cut for free although they would have had a higher priority in the work schedule.

So the guy saves him hundreds of $.....and you wouldn't give up the cash for one mowing. People like having good deeds recognized....especially if it effects their wallet.

I say you did the right thing. Good job.

googles
08-27-2005, 08:33 AM
Mr Officer that was not a gun, it was my lawnmoewr backfiring after I jumped off it to beat the punks ass...

My client never fired a shot....

That's the perfect story LOL. :p

Nosmo
08-27-2005, 09:53 AM
SunSwept did give him a free mow - he gave him a half price on that mow and is gonna give him a half price on the next mow. That is a good gesture and it works out to be a free one moneywise.

I glad to hear those thieves were caught in the act and stopped. Looks like they were pretty brazen and didn't give a schitt if you saw them grabbing your equipment and were gonna try to drive off with what they could before you could get to them.

Same type of punks break into houses during the daytime when they know the owner is at work. That is what pisses me off too.

Nosmo

TURFLORD
08-27-2005, 10:01 AM
It was a nice touch thinking about the customer not getting in to trouble. Hopefully they think twice next time. This is why I believe that if everybody had a gun there would be far less crime. Just like in the old west if you saw a man wearing a gun chances are you aint gonna mess with'im

Lake Claire Lawn Ranger
08-27-2005, 10:45 AM
I know your in GA, and its against teh lat not to carry a gun
Not against the law to carry. Just need a permit. I don't know where this happened, but it would only be against the law to discharge a firearm within city limits.

I think you did the right thing, but I would want to give the license number and descriptions of the thieves to the police to watch them.

SunSwept
08-27-2005, 05:06 PM
In happened near Atlanta. Not in the city limits but within 1/2 mile of a school. The reason I didn't want to call the cops anyway and play "shot? what shot?" was because I didn't want some smart a$$ lawyer coming in and telling the judge how these poor babies were held at gunpoint and their rights were violated.

I just told them that the next time I see them they had better hope that my axe handle is lubricated. They understood.

Thanks for all of the opinions.

nelbuts
08-27-2005, 06:08 PM
Well was this in the city limits? If not then in GA he could discharge his shotgun with no problem. He was not point the gun at the guys or he would have hit them. Actually, if asked I am sure he was scaring off the crows from his corn! Most rural areas there are no firearm discharge laws unless it is a heavy populated area. Many farmers are able to pop a deer for meat right off their back or front porch. They go hunting for the trophies. It is true what goes up must come down but a shotgun is a little different than a rifle. Anyone who ever went on a big dove hunt knows that. Darn pellets flying everywhere. Where your shooting glasses there for sure.

As far as letting them go. I think I would have taken that handle an certainly given them something to think about. These guys will try it again. Maybe on another one of your jobsites. So turning them in would have been ok. Or you could have thrown your old weedeater in the back of their truck then called the cops after they drove off and reported them. Face it when they told the cops that your customer fired a gun and you "gave" them a weedeater you think the police would have believed that!? NO! But glad everything worked out fine. Nice touch on the half off price. A gift cert. to a good rest. would be nice too.

Metro Lawn
08-27-2005, 08:47 PM
Cool story. btw it's ( trailer ) not ( trailor ) This seems to be a constant from some of the southern states. Do the schools actually teach it that way or is poor spelling a requirement to be a southern lco? lol just kidding guys, thought I'd yank your chains a bit.

I would not have let them go under any condition. They should have gone to jail. They are certain to keep this up and you have nobody but yoursef to blame.

mcwlandscaping
08-27-2005, 09:03 PM
That is the absolute coolest experience that i have ever heard of. That is insane. That is deffinatly a customer that you will want to keep and wants you there. Man, that's awsome. At least you know they will never try that again at least at that location!!

mcwlandscaping
08-27-2005, 09:05 PM
That is the absolute coolest experience that i have ever heard of. That is insane. That is deffinatly a customer that you will want to keep and wants you there. Man, that's awsome (not the part about your stuff getting stolen but the other part, you know what i mean!!) . At least you know they will never try that again at least at that location!! :D :D :D

dvog99
08-27-2005, 09:28 PM
you should have told them that the gunshot was your mower back firing when you shut it down to run after the crooks! :cool2:

topsites
08-27-2005, 09:37 PM
lets just say thats a customer you want to keep. :D

Hell yeah I wants me one them arse kickers on MY customer list LOL

Killswitch
08-27-2005, 09:39 PM
As a small operator usually by myself I often worry about getting ripped off while away from my gear.

Awsome story.

What kind of measures do some of you take to keep your gear safe and secure if any?

topsites
08-27-2005, 09:47 PM
In happened near Atlanta. Not in the city limits but within 1/2 mile of a school. The reason I didn't want to call the cops anyway and play "shot? what shot?" was because I didn't want some smart a$$ lawyer coming in and telling the judge how these poor babies were held at gunpoint and their rights were violated.

You guys are right about this civil rights and legal crap that protects the criminals while the victim catches it for 'taking the law into their own hands' or some such nonsense.

Now I think what we need to be violating here is some arse cauz nothing does it better than a good ole' fashioned tail-whooping... Favorite story I ever heard was a tree-guy friend of mine caught some punks around his stuff and he happened to have a chainLESS chainsaw (he was working on it in the field and had taken the chain off but the bar was ON, don't ask) and he fired it up and chased them with it at WOT and they were ALL running in circles around truck + trailer when a cop just happened to drive by, LOL!
The officer stopped and pulled his gun and EVERYBODY stopped dead in their tracks while the officer yelled at my friend to PUT THE SAW DOWN ! Long story short, since the saw had no chain they all ended up getting a warning but it is hella funny to picture these punks running around the truck + trailer with a tree-fella chasing after them with a screaming saw.

geogunn
08-27-2005, 09:53 PM
it depends where you live regarding the "firing of warning shots"...which can also be known as "discharging a weapon" among other things.

here...there is no law against discharging a weapon. I could do it in my back yard legally if I wanted to. it wouldn't be smart but it wouldn't be against the law, here.........

but I wanna hear more about the axe handle.........

GEO

cantoo
08-27-2005, 11:15 PM
One other thing, you might want to keep this customer happy or he may turn the gun on you. I'd think twice about that fuel surcharge. :)

SunSwept
08-27-2005, 11:19 PM
One other thing, you might want to keep this customer happy or he may turn the gun on you. I'd think twice about that fuel surcharge. :)

I thanked him for his help and asked him why he did what he did. His answer: "That kind of crap ain't gonna happen in front of MY house." Then he asked me if I could handle some more business.

I think that I am going to like this guy. I am DEFINITELY not going to do anything to tick him off!

mcwlandscaping
08-27-2005, 11:27 PM
What other busines did he send your way. Was it more work at his place or elsewhere. I want a customer like this!!!

SunSwept
08-27-2005, 11:35 PM
What other busines did he send your way. Was it more work at his place or elsewhere. I want a customer like this!!!

He says that he is a real estate investor and has several rental properties. Wanted to know if I could handle up to 20 more properties.

Weird, but I was working in the rain (light drizzle) a few weeks ago and this SUV drives by, turns around and stops. The window comes down and someone asks if I could handle one more. I told him that I was about 10 behind and that was why I was working in the rain. He asked for a card and then called a few days later. I was mowing for him for the first time and hadn't been there but about 30 minutes. His property was enormous ... maybe 2 acres and a lake in the back.

He said that anyone who would cut grass in the rain was either dedicated or nuts.

mcwlandscaping
08-27-2005, 11:41 PM
Man, that is like the ultimate customer!! Congratulations!! I want one of those!!!

jbell113
08-28-2005, 12:27 AM
I was mowing at the very back of a property when I looked towards the street. Sure enough, someone is at the trailor helping themself to a few things. In fact, there were two at the trailor and another in a vehicle stopped next to the trailor.

I shut down the mower, pulled the key and start running towards the street. They see me and I know that they are grabbing what ever they can while I am running ... their plan looks to be to grab as much as they can before I get too close.

Just as I am coming around the house into the front yard I hear Ka-Pow! A gun shot. I first think "they are shooting at me" and I stop dead in my tracks and look at them. They are frozen, looking towards the house. I turn and see the customer with a gun pointed at them.

"Put it all back." Was the only thing he said to them.

He asked me what I wanted to do with them and I said to let them go. I didn't want the police around because I didn't want the customer to get into a bunch of trouble for shooting a warning shot into the air or threatening them with a handgun.

Believe it or not, this was the fist time I ever cut for the guy.

OK, now the questions: 1) Anything like that ever happen to you? 2) I knocked 1/2 off of the bill for this and the next cut (he saved me a LOT more) ... would you have done the same? 3) Was I wrong in letting them go? I suspect that they might try it again BUT they sure looked as though they needed to change their pants. I also got their license number and had a little "fun" with them using an axe handle I keep around.

Hey sun, Im glad it worked out for you but Im wondering what part of GA you are in so I know to look out for thieves.

The Captain
08-28-2005, 12:38 AM
Missouri just enacted a concealed carry law. We here in Illinois only wish we could legally carry also. I think the Illinois politicians are afraid to give us any form of protection, out of fear we may shoot them. They always seem to have their hands in our pocket.

Question to Sean and anyone...

Is it illegal, improper posting etiquette,or site rules violation to give out the plate numbers and haunts of these and other low lifes? May give some of us a little idea what and where to watch more carefully.

Jim

befnme
08-28-2005, 01:11 PM
Does your customer have any friends in South Carolina, if so please ask him to give them my number. I hope you remember him at Christmas.

I think you did the right thing. My full time job for the past 16 years is that of a police officer (9 more until I can retire and cut grass full time) and I know that your customer would be in trouble. Warning shoots are not allowed and by law you can't use a gun unless you are protecting someone or yourself against physical harm.

That said ... I am glad for you :) If more people did what your customer did, I probably would not have chains and locks running through all my equipment and could save time and make more money. I bet I spend 10 or 15 minutes per job messing with the locks.

I think you were lucky and I am glad that you did not have to spend the rest of the day buying new equipment.

in the county i live in it is perfectly legal to fire a weapon openly in the county not in the city.check your local laws and then string the bad guys up.

befnme
08-28-2005, 01:16 PM
Not against the law to carry. Just need a permit. I don't know where this happened, but it would only be against the law to discharge a firearm within city limits.

I think you did the right thing, but I would want to give the license number and descriptions of the thieves to the police to watch them.

around here you can carry without a permit if it is not concealed.buy a holster and have it on your side incase it happens again.

Tadams
08-28-2005, 01:28 PM
Gotta love how GA boys stick together. Glad nothing was stolen.

jtrice11
08-28-2005, 01:35 PM
I think you handled it perfectly. That's one sweet customer.

Ed Ryder
08-29-2005, 01:21 AM
1. I would give no discount or free cuts.

2. I agree in not calling the police for this situation.

3. I'd send the customer a thank you letter (instead of free service).

He got to have some fun with his gun and a story to tell. Gas is expensive. Your time is worth something. I would not have given away your service.

l1011100
08-29-2005, 02:13 AM
I might have given him 2 free cuts. He sure saved you some money. I applied for my carry permit several months ago after those lco's were attacked in my area, I'm still waiting for it to come through. I think if a couple of these idiots get killed maybe others will think twice and get a real job and work for a living instead of living off of everyone else. :angry:

vipermanz
08-29-2005, 02:52 AM
was this near kennesaw?

SWD
08-29-2005, 08:10 AM
So the guy saves him hundreds of $.....and you wouldn't give up the cash for one mowing. People like having good deeds recognized....especially if it effects their wallet.

I say you did the right thing. Good job.

No, I would not give him a free cut. At best, I would bump him in priority as I stated.
I would express my thanks, yet a situation like this can easily back fire on a customer/contractor relationship. I have both seen it happen and know of others that had it happen to them. At this point in their relationship, the customer is wielding more power, is expecting a level of gratitude beyond a mere acknowledgment and judges the relationship - with the subsequent impact on pricing- by how much is either done free or at a large discount.

I would be very leery of any future business dealings with this guy until a solid payment/relationship pattern has been established.

Hopefully you'll get along okay.

Lake Claire Lawn Ranger
08-29-2005, 08:44 AM
The customer just saved him HUNDREDS of, if not a thousand, dollars and should be rewarded! We're not saying he gets a lifetime discount.

SunSwept
08-29-2005, 09:38 AM
The customer just saved him HUNDREDS of, if not a thousand, dollars and should be rewarded! We're not saying he gets a lifetime discount.

My thinking exactly ... I could have been watching a few hundred $$$ drive away. Insurance be darned ... there is still deductible and the time to go get the replacements. His cut was $100 so this cut and the next at 1/2 off was worth $100 to him AND TO ME TOO! The big thing to the customer was that it was happening in front of his house and he was going to do something about it SOOOO another post might be right on ... the customer got his jollies and reward in other ways.

Many questions about where I was working: Rockdale County, GA ... Conyers.

Kennesaw, GA ... the only city in the nation with a decent gun law. All home-owners are required to own a gun. A previous post made mention that the entire state was like that. No ... just one little 'burb.

Thanks for all of the great opinions.

bwilder10h
08-29-2005, 03:26 PM
Kennesaw, GA ... the only city in the nation with a decent gun law. All home-owners are required to own a gun. A previous post made mention that the entire state was like that. No ... just one little 'burb.

Sounds like I need to move... :cool:

Itsgottobegreen
08-29-2005, 03:40 PM
Sounds like I need to move... :cool:
I second that. :D

MOW ED
08-30-2005, 09:55 AM
Too bad he missed with that shot.

EYE for an EYE baby.

That axe handle would have taken every finger if I had anything to do with it. We need more street justice and then the punks would think twice. Ain't it a shame that dirtbag criminals have "rights".

drmiller100
08-30-2005, 01:15 PM
half off for 2 cuts is a GREAT idea. Keeps the customer way happy, keeps you way happy.

Idaho is kind of conservative. You are not allowed to carry weapons into federal buildings or schools, but it is perfectly legal to walk around any town in the state carrying a shotgun. You must have a CWP if you carry concealed, but if you apply the sherrif has to come up with a danged good reason to deny your permit.

In Idaho, if you had arrested the twits, and held them for the cops, even after the warning shot, the cops would have said "thanks!".

However, using the axe handle is malicious destruction of property, a felony.

S man
10-18-2005, 04:23 PM
It angers me so much when I hear about people taking things that aren't their's. Anyway they just need some drug money to get worse and more addicted.