PDA

View Full Version : Invading vine-type of grass

StepNjump
08-27-2005, 12:42 AM
Hi all,

I have an issue where a vine-type of grass is growing faily quickly and killing the nice grass.

I first started noticing it in march and then it was fairly small but now has extended to about an area of 10 x 10.

This area happens to be located near a planter so my guess is that the owner might have used some bad soil when planting...

Anyway, I don't know if there is a way to selectively kill this invading grass other than using RoundUp..!

If anyone knows the best way to get rid of this invador once and for all and/or the name of this type of grass, it would be much appreciated.

The picture of the root may be found here: Picture (http://ca.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/petemolotov/detail?.dir=/3994&.dnm=13b7.jpg&.src=ph)

Thank you very much in advance,

Pete. :cool2:

kcchiefs58
08-27-2005, 10:45 AM
looks like bermuda grass to me. i have found only roundup will kill it. since it is a warm season grass you will want to do it probably asap then water good for a couple three weeks and do it again.

Dallas Turf
08-27-2005, 04:36 PM
What type of lawn grass do you have?

ThreeWide
08-27-2005, 09:13 PM
What you have invading is Bermuda.

Depending on the type of lawn you have, you might be able to use either Fusilade or Acclaim to selectively remove the Bermuda. That is if those products are labeled for your turf. Can't accurately answer without that info.

timturf
08-27-2005, 09:42 PM
I've used acclaim on bermunda ( common), no ill effect on bermunda, and roundup on common bermunda will make it look like it's dead, but it comes back, need to use fusilade

StepNjump
08-28-2005, 04:05 PM
Guys, thank you so much for all your replies; you really put me back on the right track.
I guess this thing needs to be totally DEAD before I start sowing again right^ Probably will be spraying for the next few months to come.

I couldn't find Fusilade anywhere. I called a supplier and he suggests to use a concentrated form of Roundup or grass be gone.
Has anyone tried grass be gone?

Thanks again for all your help guys. this plant is a real nightmare.

Pete.

turfmgr
08-28-2005, 11:03 PM
bermuda. use fusilade over time to stunt its growth and eventually wipe it out or just kill it out and re-seed.