PDA

View Full Version : Is it their turn to pay?

prizeprop
08-27-2005, 10:37 AM
Had several incidents this year of breaking windows with mowing equipment, I took care of it out of my own pocket. Question, If a customer re shingles their roof and you blow out several tire on the mowers from nails left on the lawn. If a customer had a party and left horshoes in the lawn and ran over it with a push mower and bent you crank, destroying the engine. Will you go after them to pay for damages?

John Gamba
08-27-2005, 10:39 AM
Had several incidents this year of breaking windows with mowing equipment, I took care of it out of my own pocket. Question, If a customer re shingles their roof and you blow out several tire on the mowers from nails left on the lawn. If a customer had a party and left horshoes in the lawn and ran over it with a push mower and bent you crank, destroying the engine. Will you go after them to pay for damages?

You can try??

TURFLORD
08-27-2005, 10:48 AM
I usually charge for flats, though it's rare. Yes they are liable for damages caused by thing in the work area......kind of.

bobbygedd
08-27-2005, 11:50 AM
yes...............

pjslawncare/landscap
08-27-2005, 11:54 AM
Sorry pal, not in my business. As a grounds keeper, you should check the grounds for such objects as u check for trash before mowing. U can try to make the customer pay for such things, but your cusatomer relations will suffer.

topsites
08-27-2005, 12:00 PM

This is why I am NOT responsible for damages done MOST of the time because THEY are not responsible for when MY machine is damaged.

Now you begin to see things my way, I learned this the hard way, too. Today I am NOT responsible for damage done in the yard with FEW exceptions being intentional negligence (thou usually if it came down to this, they shouldn't be my customer in the first place, regardless of who did it).

Thou I did break a garden lamp the other day and I gave them a credit for a free cut because the lamp was in plain sight and had been there for the 2 years I been cutting the grass and I really felt bad because I felt it was negligence on my part... It wasn't intentional LOL but it was kinda like gross negligence or flat out stupid of me.

But a smallish rock hidden in the grass gets thrown into a window? Tough luck bubba, ain't no guarantee I'm paying for it, neither.
By the way, I learned to aim the discharge chute away from houses and cars and have NEVER damaged a thing with discharged materials in 4 years.

prizeprop
08-27-2005, 01:07 PM
This is why I am NOT responsible for damages done MOST of the time because THEY are not responsible for when MY machine is damaged.

Now you begin to see things my way, I learned this the hard way, too. Today I am NOT responsible for damage done in the yard with FEW exceptions being intentional negligence (thou usually if it came down to this, they shouldn't be my customer in the first place, regardless of who did it).

Thou I did break a garden lamp the other day and I gave them a credit for a free cut because the lamp was in plain sight and had been there for the 2 years I been cutting the grass and I really felt bad because I felt it was negligence on my part... It wasn't intentional LOL but it was kinda like gross negligence or flat out stupid of me.

But a smallish rock hidden in the grass gets thrown into a window? Tough luck bubba, ain't no guarantee I'm paying for it, neither.
By the way, I learned to aim the discharge chute away from houses and cars and have NEVER damaged a thing with discharged materials in 4 years.Thats the way I felt about the windows, just bad luck that a pebble in the lawn scores a direct hit on the window. Really no way to avoid it and theres no real neglegence on our part. However the customer doesnt see it that way. Say no Im not paying for it and lose a $3,000 a year customer that you had for 12 years or just pay the $300 and be done with it.write it off on taxes and its like paying $200. A customer that your just waiting for a reason to get rid of I wouldnt except responsibility or pay. Its not a constant problem maybe 4 in 20 years, but two occured this year.

jtrice11
08-27-2005, 04:17 PM

Nails yes, horseshoes no. We usually walk the property before we mow it. Anything you can see, we pick up. Nail, broken glass etc...would be an exception.