PDA

View Full Version : Anybody use tow type areator with a Z

stumper1620
08-27-2005, 10:11 AM
Ok, I need a areator for this season, I want a Gator Rator really bad, just won't fit the budget for this year, so, I'm thinking a really good tow type.
I had a Great deal offered on a hooker, but I'm not to confident of it in the really hard soils around here this year, trying to areate this year seems to me like it will be like areating concrete. I figure a gator would get the penitration, or a tow type that I can really wiegh down only I'm concerned about what a heavily wieghted tow would do to my Hydros, my kid blew the motor in the lawn tractor so that idea changed on tuesday.
so whats the opinions? do I dare??

scout279
08-27-2005, 10:23 AM
I use a lesco 48" tow behind. the first yr. I used me ztr but I know that it put alots of stress on the hydro. Last yr. I picked up a used 4 wheeler. It works great and not mention I had always wanted another fun toy.

topsites
08-27-2005, 10:32 AM
I see some guys using it and have a friend who has BOTH the tow-type AND the walk-behind and I will say the tow-behind does NOT do as good a job as the walk-behind for the following reasons:

- The tow-behind usually weighs less, and weight drives the tines DOWN.
- The walk-behind POWERS the axle carrying the tines while the tow-behind free-wheels.
For both the above reasons, the walk-behind pulls better, longer plugs everytime. For a test, go ahead and PUSH a walk-behind instead of using the power and you will see how a POWERED axle pulls better plugs when compared to a free-rolling one... It's like the powered axle DIGS into the ground as it propels the machine.

Once again (and sadly) the secret is there is no secret, the easy way out ends up in a lower quality job as usual and hard work is the only solution for my business to provide the best it can.

But of course, in a jiffy and if demand is very high then I MIGHT see a tow-behind saving your tail but to me it would be like cheating.

Bunton Guy
08-27-2005, 12:04 PM
Tow behind weights less??? who's does?? My Ryan core tow behind takes 4 people to lift it need be...im sure this sucker is 300+ pounds. Now if you have one of those homeowner bluebird or lesco aerators that need to be weighted yeah...maybe! But mind has these weight disks that the tines are attached to and man oh man is it heavy! I pull it with the Z and it works better than anything I have ever used. I do infact though use a walk behind aerator to do 2-3 circles around the outside of a lawn then the rest with the tow behind.

The mayor
08-27-2005, 02:01 PM
My ryan 36" tow behind weights in at 500lbs. My walker about half that. The pull behind removes a fantastic plug. Just as good as a walkbehind. This is not hearsay or what I think. This is first hand experience. The ztr will handle it. But I also use a 4 wheeler.

gl1200a
08-27-2005, 03:10 PM
I have a Turfvent 48" tow behind that weighs in at about 110 lbs. without the weight containers added. I converted it (with an lectric actuator arm) so it has power up and down for the wheels now. $499.00 delivered for the aerator.

stumper1620
08-27-2005, 04:22 PM
I have a Turfvent 48" tow behind that weighs in at about 110 lbs. without the weight containers added. I converted it (with an lectric actuator arm) so it has power up and down for the wheels now. $499.00 delivered for the aerator.
I saw that just a little while after I posted this, I did a search last night, looked at some of the post, looked at somemore today and found your pics. nice system, where did you get the actuator? How many holes per sq ft? any problems for your 727 to pull it? I have a 737

Runner
08-27-2005, 04:38 PM
I will say that the Turfvent is an excellent aerator, especially for the money. It's one of the good values category of equipment. We use 59# tubesand bags on ours.

stumper1620
08-27-2005, 04:40 PM
I see some guys using it and have a friend who has BOTH the tow-type AND the walk-behind and I will say the tow-behind does NOT do as good a job as the walk-behind for the following reasons:

- The tow-behind usually weighs less, and weight drives the tines DOWN.
- The walk-behind POWERS the axle carrying the tines while the tow-behind free-wheels.
For both the above reasons, the walk-behind pulls better, longer plugs everytime. For a test, go ahead and PUSH a walk-behind instead of using the power and you will see how a POWERED axle pulls better plugs when compared to a free-rolling one... It's like the powered axle DIGS into the ground as it propels the machine.

Once again (and sadly) the secret is there is no secret, the easy way out ends up in a lower quality job as usual and hard work is the only solution for my business to provide the best it can.

But of course, in a jiffy and if demand is very high then I MIGHT see a tow-behind saving your tail but to me it would be like cheating.
I haven't got a single customer that is under an acre and there is no way I'm walking a lawn that takes me 5 hours to mow on my Z, I realize a walker has a tighter pattern than most tow type but walking ain"t happening.

gl1200a
08-27-2005, 09:10 PM
The actuator arm is one that is commonly used to move the large 10 foot satelite TV dishes, but they are used in other applications also. It's the same exact arm that Gator Rator uses on their aerator and used on motorcycles with sidecars for rake adjustment.

It pulls great with the 727A. No complaints.

bretben55
08-27-2005, 10:29 PM
I pull a Home Depot, Brinly core aerator behind my Lesco 48" belt drive walk behind. It has a 14 HP motor.

I just stand on top of the aerator and let the mower pull me around.

Bret