PDA

View Full Version : Have you broke one of these?

indy2tall
08-27-2005, 11:28 AM
I am curious if anyone (besides me) :realmad: has had to replace the cast iron cover of a water meter after hitting it with your mower blades? I thought I had plenty of clearance to go over it but obviously I was mistaken. It cost me $59.00 because I could not find anyone who carried just the lid so I had to buy the base ring that the lid sits on also.

topsites
08-27-2005, 11:36 AM
ewwww no but I'll be even MORE careful now that I know they cost so much, sheeesh ! Only thing they've ever done to me is chipped the hell out of a blade and after I did it a few times, I haven't hit one in a couple years thou lately I've hit a couple cement culverts in the ditch when I got lazy and tried to mow around the pipe instead of weed-eating and it chipped off a couple little rocks which made me think twice about THIS method as well.

southtx
08-27-2005, 11:41 AM
;) know I haven't done that, but i did take the handle off a hose reel box that cost me 50.00(had to buy the hole box) at homes chepo. I took it off with my walk behind thought i could get by it but I was wrong.

Richard Martin
08-27-2005, 12:26 PM
No water meters here.

ITL
08-28-2005, 01:11 AM
Haven't broken one but we did have to replace a brand new (less than two hours) Gator blade due to nicking one just enough to bend the blade tip. Would have been nicer if we were late changing blades that day. It always cleared before. Now we go around.

RedWingsDet
08-28-2005, 01:24 AM
I hit one lastyear, broke 2 windows in the process. Cost me over $500

Lowcountry Lawn Care
08-28-2005, 11:30 AM
Sadly enough I can say I have also done this. I ran over the cover and broke it into several pieces. I immediately told my customer. I was willing to pay for the new cover, but my customer shared with me that the water company is responsible for that. He explained the meter and cover must be 1/4 inch under the ground so that things like this didn't happen. I later found out he was correct and in my area if the cover is sticking out at all they must put it farther into the ground. Maybe you should check with your local water company to find out if this is so in your area.

ITL
08-28-2005, 01:52 PM
Lowcountry

Thanks for that information. Sounds like many of us should check if same rule where we are and after discussing with property owner get the water company to lower the cover.