PDA

View Full Version : mulcher blades or not?

Flyerwillmow4u
08-27-2005, 11:38 AM
I am just getting into the business and i have read some of your tips. This is just a part time thing for me because my full time gig is with Uncle Sam. First, let me say thank you for posting your tips as they have already taught me a thing or 3. I read the tip about sharpening the blades everyday or at least every 4 yards. I also see that it is a good idea to have an extra set of blades on hand. That brings me to my question...to mulch or not to mulch. I am going to buy an extra set of blades, but they do offer a mulching set and a regular set...which set should i buy? I have been told here where i cut, most companies do not bag...so should i mulch instead? And if so should i buy the mulching kit that comes for my mower with 2 blades and a block for the discharge port. Thanks and keep up the teaching topics...i real them all! payup

topsites
08-27-2005, 12:00 PM
Truthfully some guys swear by gators while others swear by standards (I run standards and nothing BUT standards while other guys run nothing BUT gators).

So if you cut more than say, 5 yards/week, try and buy one set of each and run both and see which ones you like best, I think it is somewhat a matter of preference.

bigjeeping
08-27-2005, 12:03 PM
I've heard these "gator blades" a lot on here.. but what exactly are they?
What advantages do they have over standard blades/mulch blades?

Shane7258
08-27-2005, 12:07 PM
I have used both and I find no big difference between the two; the gator will handle wet or damp grass better though. I use nothing but the standard blades cheaper just as good

Flyerwillmow4u
08-27-2005, 12:50 PM
So i see that you think the standard blades (which cost less) are ok to keep using, but they also make a standard equipment mulcher blade kit...so i guess that is my question. Should i just get standard stock blades or standard mulcher blades? Thanks again!!

lawnmaniac883
08-27-2005, 04:03 PM
First let me ask you what type/brand of mower you are running? My mulcher blades and baffles for my gravely work exceptionally well.

Flyerwillmow4u
08-28-2005, 10:48 PM
First let me ask you what type/brand of mower you are running? My mulcher blades and baffles for my gravely work exceptionally well.

I know i know...crappy rider...but i have a 42" Murray brand new. I just started out, i just moved back from Germany, i just bought a house...money is tight and i got it tax free and a 100 bucks off. It will work for now and i will get something better when and if the business takes off. Thanks!

Scott

mowpart rep4
01-27-2007, 10:25 AM
try mowpart.com the prices are very good

mowpart.com is reliable,safe & secure

gator blades are great for mulching applications mowpart.com has great prices

try the magnum gator blades which are thicker or the fusion gator blades which are hardened
or the magnum fusion gator blades
http://www.mowpart.com/blades-gator-blades-c-38_190.html

gator blade cross ref link
http://www.mowpart.com/resources/gatorchart.pdf

PowerEquipmentWarehouse
01-27-2007, 02:28 PM
A lot of guys use the gators with a bagging system. You will be able to mow more before emptying the bags and the resulting mulched grass is smaller and not as noticeable. We sell a ton of these blades every year and the customers swear by them. The blades are available to fit most every commercial unit. I would recommend trying them and seeing the results for yourself.

Mike