PDA

View Full Version : would you teach your friend?

bobbygedd
08-27-2005, 02:40 PM
YOUR GOAL is to build a client base of hundreds of residentials within a tight area. a friend of your wife...her husband lost his job and can't seem to find steady work, he came to you and asked you to help him start a lawn company, not financially, but every thing else. would you?

RedWingsDet
08-27-2005, 02:40 PM
I'd offer him a job, but I wouldnt offer any help.

John Gamba
08-27-2005, 02:41 PM
No!! Creates competition.

John

bobbygedd
08-27-2005, 02:42 PM
oh yea, and he only lives a few blocks from you

John Gamba
08-27-2005, 02:43 PM
oh yea, and he only lives a few blocks from you

Who did you say that to????????

daveintoledo
08-27-2005, 02:43 PM
not unless he was from a very different area....even with no compete clauses and all, s(^t happens....

bobbygedd
08-27-2005, 02:47 PM
Who did you say that to????????
i'm saying, would you teach your friend, if he only lives a few blocks from you

wbw
08-27-2005, 03:08 PM
I would glady accept yet another consulting position. Help him by showing him what areas to work etc. All for the standard 10%.

HighGrass
08-27-2005, 03:08 PM
YOUR GOAL is to build a client base of hundreds of residentials within a tight area. a friend of your wife...her husband lost his job and can't seem to find steady work, he came to you and asked you to help him start a lawn company, not financially, but every thing else. would you?

Gee let me think about this for a moment....errr.......NO!

John Gamba
08-27-2005, 03:21 PM
i'm saying, would you teach your friend, if he only lives a few blocks from you

No!! it Creates competition.

John

bobbygedd
08-27-2005, 03:26 PM
you do realize......no matter what happens, you and your wife have lost a friend. me, i could care less, i have no friends, and i like it that way. but my wife will be sad. i will under no circumstances give away any knowledge or advice. i will, however, offer him the same consultation + fees + conditions as i'm offering the other guy. either way, he will be insulted.

olderthandirt
08-27-2005, 03:44 PM
If it not a friend it will just be another person starting up in your area. So yes I would help him and in return I would expect and get a contract which states I get a percentage of all the work he gets until I have been compensated for my help or he quits. Its a win -win situation for me, I send the pita customers to him which he will be glad to take as a newbie and any job I din't get because of price there a chance that he would get it and I still make money. Its like getting the second bite of the pie.

CutInEdge Lawn Care
08-27-2005, 04:04 PM
Business is Business! Friendship is Friendship! Either show him the business side of you and be tough, or show him the friendship and take food from your families mouth.

Possibly hire him with a non-compete agreement( good for 1-2 yrs and a 25 mile radius).

Guarantee when he is out bidding and wanting the job he is not thinking about you(Friendship)!!

You could always sell him the PITA list.

sheshovel
08-27-2005, 06:23 PM
You friend? or your wifes friends husband...
now which one is it??My friend yes
husbands freinds wife no!

imdawrlus
08-27-2005, 06:33 PM
depends on how good of a friend it is

mrusk
08-27-2005, 06:38 PM
Man i think bobby alreay asked this question a few months back.

Matt

Mo Green
08-27-2005, 07:03 PM
If it not a friend it will just be another person starting up in your area. So yes I would help him and in return I would expect and get a contract which states I get a percentage of all the work he gets until I have been compensated for my help or he quits. Its a win -win situation for me, I send the pita customers to him which he will be glad to take as a newbie and any job I din't get because of price there a chance that he would get it and I still make money. Its like getting the second bite of the pie.
I like your way of looking at things.

John Gamba
08-27-2005, 07:42 PM
I like your way of looking at things.

Yeah, Try and do it. Tell us us how it went.

John

lqmustang
08-27-2005, 07:56 PM
If it was a true friend of mine, yes in a heartbeat. A friend of a friend? no way

Nosmo
08-27-2005, 11:26 PM
Got a better idea. Try to talk him out of the notion about getting into Lawn Care. Tell him everything you can think of why he shouldn't get into it.

Now here's where you give him something to think about. Try to convince him the real money is in selling -- selling lawn care equipment. :-) Convince him he needs to get into this on an entry level job like working at a local dealership. Then maybe he can talk
that owner into giving him some accounts for him to go and sell to and collect all the commissions and keep. Bet that would go over like a turd in a punch bowl.

Nosmo

Wells
08-28-2005, 01:06 AM
Bobby,

I would have no problem helping a friend get started in the lawn care business especially if he was just laid off and out of work.

I figure there is more work out there then I could ever plan on doing even if I had 25 crews. Don't get me wrong I'm in this business to make money, expand and grow but I don't see the problem helping out a friend along the way.

How would I feel if I denied my friend any assistance and because he was out of work I watched him loose him home, his family and his dignity.

Hopefully my friend would be decent enough to remember those that helped him out once he got back on his feet.

SOMM
08-28-2005, 01:35 AM
We like Wells take! Just like in J. Gamba's signature, Bobby - the least you can do is give him a push broom, old push mower, old gas can, oil quart, and hand clippers, and offer to design some flyer-templates he can take to local cheap-copy shop himself. No Obligations or Expectations. It's the charitable thing to do !

Send him in the direction of all your PITA's. They may like him better because your big mowers and new efficient equipment don't seem like they're doing enough work that "new boy's" small-stuff is making him take the time to do?
Just an idea :p

rodfather
08-28-2005, 06:25 AM
I would probably help to some extent. Makes it tougher to decide the guy being the husband of your wife's friend.

bobbygedd
08-28-2005, 09:24 AM
i find it counter-productive to teach a man, everything i know, and have him soliciting clients in my service area. my goal is to have complete control over every blade of grass within my service areas. why on earth, would i educate him, and have him get in MY WAY? i think he disrupted the friendship, just by asking me. now what's more important to me, reaching my goals in business, or keeping a friend? hmmmm, let me think about this one.....him asking me, is the same as one man asking another to sleep with his wife- wether the answer is yes or no, the friendship is over. after sleeping on this, i've decided to milk every red cent out of this sapp, if he wants my consultation. if he doesn't want to pay, he can try on his own, and fail, just like the rest of them. binith, iz binith, sorry uncle ted

OMG
08-28-2005, 10:29 AM
I would help him unless you're concerned that you would lose accounts to him.

If you know your prices are reasonable and you do a good job, you shouldn't have that to worry about.

This isn't rocket science. If he wants to get in this business, he'll do it with or without your help.

bobbygedd
08-28-2005, 01:04 PM
I would help him unless you're concerned that you would lose accounts to him.

If you know your prices are reasonable and you do a good job, you shouldn't have that to worry about.

This isn't rocket science. If he wants to get in this business, he'll do it with or without your help.
dissagree. by teaching him, i'm duplicating myself. he will learn pricing, procedure...everything from me. though he may not TAKE any of my clients, his presence alone may PREVENT me from adding to my client base. if there was a hamburger stand, and someone put up another identical hamburger stand right next to it, would this new hamburger stand effect the old one?

Precision
08-28-2005, 01:23 PM
[QUOTE=bobbygedd]her husband lost his job and can't seem to find steady work, he came to you and asked you to help him start a lawn company [QUOTE=bobbygedd]

If he can't hold a steady job there is no (well very little) likelihood of him being a successful LCO. Gently explain that. # of hours put in, no time off, hot weather, pita clients

Then don't worry about it.

Jpocket
08-28-2005, 04:57 PM
I wouldn't I would just play dumb and keep him at a distance, we have enough competition, and I for one would not help create anymore

jason1978
08-28-2005, 05:09 PM
Yes. The guy is a friend and needs your help. Who cares about competition.

bobbygedd
08-28-2005, 09:13 PM
Yes. The guy is a friend and needs your help. Who cares about competition.
i do jason, i do.

juggernaut
09-14-2005, 12:55 PM
I know Im a little old on this topic, but in my opinon I would do 3 things. 1) hire him for a couple of weeks so he gets the idea while he learns 2)take a % from his first year of work 3) surly have a contract signed up stating he must start his business in an area that is not yours.
I'm sure he knows you are concerned about lossing business to him and if he is an honest man would totaly understand why you would want to go this way. I was doing this business 8 years ago and my brother and I hired an old HS friend who needed a job. Well here we are 8 years later and this guy is on his own and working with 3 crews now. He would call me and my bro over the past 8 years to see if we wanted to start the business again because he was turning away clients and wanted to hand them to us. I'm starting up again and have contacted him for help. He had no issues with providing me with any equipment I might need. My bro and I have the equipment but one of the mowers just wont start and I dont have the $$ to get a 61 inch scag or have it fixed. When I told him, he said no problem come by and pick one up. When you get back up and running return it and make sure its tuned up. Nice to see some people dont forget you helped them in the past. Good Luck..

Limeade
09-14-2005, 02:09 PM

Yes you would have to be one sick low life not to.

kc2006
09-14-2005, 02:19 PM
oh well i'll chime in even though this topic was somewhat done.

I'm talking to a friend of my brother that has a company, he's been in it for 10 years I believe, I'm just picking his brain on advertising, I haven't said "Show me how to do everything". I can see talking with other companies for advice but I wouldn't totally help someone, I had to do this all on my own, he should too. He'll end up on the site here probably getting info anyway. Now then my exemployer, i cant even offer to buy equipment off him that he has for sale, he wont do it because he hates the fact that I learned from him and went on my own after he pee'd on me (not literally thats just nasty). I'd help him, I even told him this before but he wants nothing to do with me. Sucks for him that I'm allowed to dump leaves and debris at the same place he does :D

bobbygedd
09-14-2005, 02:53 PM
Yes you would have to be one sick low life not to.
you show me a lawnboy, and i'll show you someone who aint no businessman.

NNJLandman
09-14-2005, 04:31 PM
Tell him to be your apprentice, pay him next to nothing and have him work his ass off. Dont give him any information on pricing or anything like that and whatever you do, dont send him to Lawnsite. lol. Yea offer the guy a job instead, tell your wife to call and see if he would want to work for you...if hes not interested....jus forget he ever asked.

Jeff

smullen
09-14-2005, 06:29 PM
I guess I can comment on this comming from the other side...

As in not me helping someone, but someone helping me...

My fulltime gig is as a Network Engineer for an ISP, and I have two very good longtime friends that each run fulltime LCs... I've shared with them my plans for getting into this to see what they think...

I have to say, They have been very supportive of me getting onto this...

They have given me tons of advice and shared with me both the positives and nagatives that they see...

The one that owns the bigger LC, has even given me some equiptment and only asked that I not sell it and later and give it back if I'm not going to use it anymore... Thats more than fair...

He even offered to lend me some gear till I can afford to buy the new stuff that I want...

lawnguyland
09-14-2005, 07:51 PM
tough one- I wouldn't show or tell him everything, but would answer a few questions or go to lunch and talk over his plans. I don't even really like sharing too much info on lawnsite, but I'll take what I can use from it -of course.
Around where you and I are there are about 7 billion lawns, feed him your scraps maybe.