PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for new engine on TTHP?

Ryan Lightning
08-27-2005, 03:25 PM
I have a 2000 TTHP with 17hp Kawi, that needs a new head, $350 to fix it. I have had to do work every few months latley because I run it so hard I think.
Anyway Id like to put a new engine instead, the biggest that would fit, the 17hp is way under powered for me. The dealer acted like it was going to be a problem to get a bigger engine on there, and would have to check with his supplier on monday. He also seems to hate Kohler and wants me to stick with Kawi are maybe Honda. I thought as long as the shaft was the same size I would be OK?
Any suggestions on what engine would be best on the mower?

Dirty Water
08-27-2005, 08:21 PM
Theres a lot more than shaft size you need to take into account.

I put a Honda engine on a Ditchwitch designed for a Onan last year, and learned a bit about custom swaps.

You'll have to make sure the new engine positions the pully in the same spot, This may mean fabricating a spacer, or custom belts. You also will have to worry about exhaust clearance, and make sure the new engine has the proper linkages for throttle and choke.

Personally, you won't get a new one on for under $1500 (a 20hp Honda for $999 was a bargain for me) or so, so I'd just go with the head repair.

i_plant_art
08-27-2005, 08:36 PM
this should help ya out some or at least the mechanic and give you an idea of what an engine should run ya..... http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/

lawncare4u
08-27-2005, 11:19 PM
Check with Travis at Landscape Supply,just clic on Icon at top right of page!

lwcmattlifter
08-28-2005, 10:33 PM
You should be able to bolt on a 19hp Kaw no problems. I hear they have a recoil 19hp, if you don't already have electric start on the 17.