PDA

View Full Version : 18 HP B&S In a 618 Grasshopper ?

careco
08-27-2005, 05:21 PM
18 HP B&S In a 618 Grasshopper ?
Can a 18 HP B&S be put in a 618 Grasshopper as they never came with one ! Came with the junk Kohler OHC 18HP engine ! One of the worst engines have ever seen ! Thank God they don't make them any more! :angry: A Grasshopper mechanic told me it could not be done and I beg to different ! Any comments on this?

South Florida Lawns
08-27-2005, 05:48 PM
Kohler's are great engines. Or so I thought, what happened to yours? 18hp is not a whole lot for a ZTR. It should work with a brigs, you might have to make a few minor modifications.

Scotts' Yard Care
08-27-2005, 05:48 PM
:D Don't most dealers have an interchange chart for base plate bolt patterns? Then it's a matter of clearance around the engine and proper crank and/or step dimensions of the crankshaft PTO.

careco
08-27-2005, 06:04 PM
The Kohler OHC was a bad engine from the start and they are not made any more ! They tried to style them after the auto engines and did not work and a rubber belt to drive the over head cams and had all kinds of problems with them had to extend the warranty 2 more years and I found out after the fact ! :angry: One year or more to late

Brianslawn
08-27-2005, 09:31 PM
it can be done. i got a couple kohler ohc 16s and dont really like them. the new kohler ohv 18s pack a lot of punch and havent had much trouble with them. might be easier to put one of those in cause the wires and throttle linkage should be the same or close. more modifications with the briggs, but it can be done.

Country Clipping
08-27-2005, 10:17 PM
I put a 20 HP OHV Kohler on a 618 Grasshopper and it works great... Just make sure the shaft size is the same dim. so you dont have to buy another clutch.

MBDiagMan
08-28-2005, 10:13 AM
The engines, regardless of brand, have standard bolt patterns and shaft sizes. All you have to do is find an engine with the same shaft size and length. If you go to one of the several websites that sell small engines they almost always indicate the shaft size and length and there are only a few different ones.

That leaves the bolt pattern. If you find an engine on one of the websites that looks like what you want, just call them and tell them what engine is now in place and they can tell you if it will work.

On those websites, they always have a list of specials. They are a particular engine that they only have one left or something like that. You can get a good deal on them.

If you are going with a B&S, make sure you don't get an Intek. It is a cheap built engine for home use. The Vanguard is made by a Japanese company and is their industrial engine. Don't overlook Kawasaki as a great alternative.

Good luck,
Doc

Mowingman
08-29-2005, 11:39 AM
Grasshopper actually has two "kits" that help you easily convert the old kohler 18 to another, better engine. One kit is to convert to a Kohler command 18. The other kit is to convert to a B&S 18hp. Kits do not include the engine.
So, yes, it can be done.

ranger351w
08-30-2005, 06:18 AM
18 HP B&S In a 618 Grasshopper ?
Can a 18 HP B&S be put in a 618 Grasshopper as they never came with one ! Came with the junk Kohler OHC 18HP engine ! One of the worst engines have ever seen ! Thank God they don't make them any more! :angry: A Grasshopper mechanic told me it could not be done and I beg to different ! Any comments on this?
I would think a B&S would fit as I have a 616 with a 16 H.P. Briggs in it from the factory.

MBDiagMan
08-30-2005, 07:58 AM
Yes the kit would be the way to go. Even if you get the engine with the correct shaft length, diameter and keyway and even if it bolts up, you will probably need a muffler to fit the chassis and maybe a fuel line and control cable adapters.

Good luck,
Doc