PDA

View Full Version : Brushcutters? advice please?

Ramairfreak98ss
08-27-2005, 08:23 PM
I have had smaller jobs before involving some brush, i do this per basis and dont specialize in brush removal, i primarily cut lawns.

I was looking at www.redmax.com they sell "reciprocators, look like blades on the end with 20 teeth. The 2 stroke z2500S 25 cc model or an Echo SRM-400U Brushcutter 40cc. Both are largest in their brand. The echo has ONLY one model the 40cc with a saw blade at the end, but it has maybe 100 teeth not 20 large teeth like the Redmax.

Questions... What is the benefit of a large tooth 20tooth blade vs say 80-100tooth saw blade?

Im taking down mostly 7ft tall weeds that are 3/4" to 1" around green plants, they grow very skinny and tall.

Other question i had, now hard would it be to take say a Redmax BCZ3000s , a 30cc string trimmer, and add a blade attachement? at least that way i can use it as a trimmer while im not doing any brushcutting.

AND..... DO I NEED THE HANDLEBAR style brushcutter or can the standard small handle work fine? Is there a big benefit of having the handlebars to angle the cutter with the neck strap? The Redmax is 15lbs so its not heavy heavy but not light like the 11.xx lb trimmers are, ill be doing this for a good 3+ hours so i dont want to not feel my arms by the end lol. Thanks for all who have experience in using these. :)

Ramairfreak98ss
08-27-2005, 08:28 PM
2 more things :) The redmax "reciprocator" is just that, it doesnt spin like a trimmer it like vibrates in a circular motion? i cant see how that would work, but id like opinions.

and, this would kill my back and i dont think i could do 3hrs worth, but my hedge trimmer would probably slice these weeds down easily ,just id like to not bend over like a dumbazz laying the machine along the ground lol :cool:

Ramairfreak98ss
08-28-2005, 11:12 PM
ill be going to the lawn shop tomorrow hopefully to find something powerful :cool:

Gorilla
09-04-2005, 01:36 AM
The blades with more teeth are used for very small tree clearing and the blades with less teeth are used for brush clearing. I uses the echo blade kit and have ran both blades. Use the right blade for the right job.I've only used the echo blades, but everybody I talk to likes alot of differant brands.
I hope this helped you. They do come in handy and saves alot of time.

stevesmowing
09-05-2005, 09:55 PM
I have a redmax 3000 and its pretty easy to switch between the blade and the trimmer for whatever reason the head is stuck on now. I've had it off like 5 times b4 though w/o a problem. I would look into this that way u can use it as a trimmer too. Its a nice trimmer. It has no problem having 12" of .095" line out each side. It will swing 16" out each side once its warmed up good if the grass isn't too thick but I normally stay around 12". A 28-36" path is pretty good. I think the trimmer is really getting easier to start and more power as it has has trimmed about 800 lawns.

work4green
11-23-2005, 11:57 PM
I specialize in brush so I run more specialized equipment- usually a stihl fs550 or husky 265rx. I've used the older husky 245 and 250, but I can cut my time in half with the fs550. You do notice the weight at first, but once you get used to it, the extra power is worth it. I don't break parts as often with the larger saws, they last longer, I can work faster. I do wish for a smaller saw at times, on lighter jobs. It would only shine on small saplings, as thick grass gets wound around a blade easily on the small saws. The 550 has so much power it slings everything to the side and keeps on keepin on. ;) payup

FWIW I only use 3 point blades- they don't require sharpening as often as chisel point blades, and are more versatile. I can cut literaly at, or below ground level, up to 3.5-4" material with the fs550. :cool2:

john_incircuit
11-24-2005, 12:38 PM
I don't do a lot of brush cutting, but took down a fair amount of thick, large bamboos grass with the Stihl FS 130 and a 3 tip blade. Works pretty good, but you have to have the right angle of attack, or the blade will catch and test your reaction time.

The 3 tip blade is approved by Stihl to be used with the regular, round handle bar.

John

Ramairfreak98ss
11-25-2005, 09:02 PM
Whats the 3 tipped blade look like? ive only used on mine a saw type blade, must be 60-80 teeth or so? Its fine on what i intended on using it on, but for smaller tree type brush or wood or vines now it doesnt seem to want to cut that, anything with a "chopping " style would work better than sawing away at vines.