PDA

View Full Version : Stink Grass?

Dashunde
08-27-2005, 11:09 PM
I headed out to mow this morning, and as soon as I opened the door from the kitchen to the garage I was smacked in the face with a stench that rivals a trash truck on a 100* day.
It was sorta funny... I'm bitchin at the wife about what nastyness she let rot in the fridge and then threw into the garage trash cans.. and she is bitchin me out saying it was nothing she threw out, and "wtf did I mow, roadkill or WHAT?"

Now.. one week ago my nose hairs were stung by the same foulness, but not nearly as bad.

It has occured to me that I mowed the same house (a new client) both Fridays prior to the stink on Saturday morning.
The yard is kinda crap... with what looks like a wide variety of weeds that all blend for an overall consistent look.
I've noticed that it is a "juicy" cut, and it pulls my mower down a lot more than any other yard I service.

Has anyone encountered this nasty smelling grass or weed before?
(It really does smell alot like garbage... with a few full-load diapers mixed in.)

btw... I run a mulch kit, so whatever I mow tends to stick around a bit.

geogunn
08-27-2005, 11:17 PM
could there be a dead body near by?

GEO :confused:

a a green
08-28-2005, 02:00 PM
I have had similar experiences. but that was from dead and decaying mice or moles.

kissmygrass
08-28-2005, 04:19 PM
One of the yards we do used to have a septic tank problem. The soil was always moist and in some places black as night. Smelled somthin' awful too.

befnme
08-28-2005, 07:44 PM
just out of curiosity does it have any dog fennel in the yard here is a description:

1 definition for dog fennel

From WordNet (r) 2.0 :

dog fennel
n 1: weedy plant of southeastern United States having divided
leaves and long clusters of greenish flowers [syn: Eupatorium
capillifolium]
2: widespread rank-smelling weed having white-rayed flower
heads with yellow discs [syn: mayweed, stinking mayweed,
stinking chamomile, Anthemis cotula]

here is a pic:

http://ghs.gresham.k12.or.us/science/ps/nature/gorge/sun/daisy/cham/cham.htm

Dashunde
08-29-2005, 12:29 AM
just out of curiosity does it have any dog fennel in the yard....

Nope. It's pretty much just a course grass/weed mix.
But thanks for the idea.

Envy Lawn Service
08-29-2005, 12:35 AM
The build-up under your deck is probably souring and filling your garage with the foul odor.

Weedy stuff both tends to stick more and stink more when it's left packed up to rot.

My guess is you will have to start making it a point to scrape the deck out on friday evenings before putting it away for the weekend.