PDA

View Full Version : What have you hit?

lawnmaniac883
08-28-2005, 12:15 PM
Yesterday while cutting a multi acre property I hit a L shaped piece of rebar :realmad: . Put a big ass ding in my blade, charged customer 20 bucks to cover new blade. So lets hear it, what have you all hit while mowing?

lawnman_scott
08-28-2005, 12:25 PM
Hit lots of things like that. Metal, wood, concrete....... Soooooo did they pay the $20 for the nick in the blade?

impactlandscaping
08-28-2005, 12:28 PM
Over the last 21 years: pop cans, beer bottles, snakes, frogs, water meter covers, rebar, survey markers, toys, tennis balls , one golf ball that somehow lifted into the deck, C02 canisters for BB guns, dog bones, pantyhose, women's panties, baby rabbits, a dead groundhog , and a lot of other insignificant things :D

TURFLORD
08-28-2005, 01:09 PM
Little baby bunnies are the worst. I mowed over a nest a couple of weeks ago. A bunny went right into the blades and its body made clunking noises as it went through. Before I was done, a bird had started picking up the bunny chunks.

waffletown20
08-28-2005, 01:16 PM
Doormat was my worst. It got sucked right into the blades, didn't discharge though. That would've been hilarious.

green thum
08-28-2005, 01:18 PM
I somehow took a chunk of concrete out of a driveway on friday and bent a new gator blade to a 45 degree angle. ;) I still don't know how i managed this one!!!!!!!

PROCUT1
08-28-2005, 01:18 PM
Blue tarps are right up there on my list

jtrice11
08-28-2005, 01:39 PM
Yesterday while cutting a multi acre property I hit a L shaped piece of rebar :realmad: . Put a big ass ding in my blade, charged customer 20 bucks to cover new blade. So lets hear it, what have you all hit while mowing?

I don't always agree with blaming the customer for something I hit. I try and check the property first if I know its a land mine.

blair smock
08-28-2005, 01:49 PM
Bunny, and two snakes, same property- :(

Avery
08-28-2005, 02:47 PM
Have hit lots of stuff over the years. Most expensive was when one of my guys hit a concrete boundry marker years ago and exploded 3 gear boxes on a Walker deck. CHA CHING! :(

QualityLawnCare4u
08-28-2005, 04:11 PM
Lets see, spoons,hammer,jump rope,snakes,dog poop,last week 5 foot steel pipe(ruined left blade), granite size of your hand,every toy made for every kids meal,large chain,girls undies, barb wire(this is fun to unwind from blade spindle),brick,bicycle chain, dead kitten, BB gun, inter tube,golf balls,baseball,small cast iron skillet,and much more. Believe it or not, this is in ONE yard only in past one year, worst yard I have. Nastiest family you will ever meet. Living room floor covered in cat/dog poop and pee. I'm surprised they have not had a visit from dfacs or health dept. and owner is a retired teacher! Mower has so much dog s--t when I finish that I hose it down and wash in her front yard.

brian mon
08-28-2005, 04:37 PM
Ran up over a stump this year...

Bent blade, cracked spindle, bent deck....

:realmad: :angry:

Frontier-Lawn
08-28-2005, 04:42 PM
Lets see, spoons,hammer,jump rope,snakes,dog poop,last week 5 foot steel pipe(ruined left blade), granite size of your hand,every toy made for every kids meal,large chain,girls undies, barb wire(this is fun to unwind from blade spindle),brick,bicycle chain, dead kitten, BB gun, inter tube,golf balls,baseball,small cast iron skillet,and much more. Believe it or not, this is in ONE yard only in past one year, worst yard I have. Nastiest family you will ever meet. Living room floor covered in cat/dog poop and pee. I'm surprised they have not had a visit from dfacs or health dept. and owner is a retired teacher! Mower has so much dog s--t when I finish that I hose it down and wash in her front yard.

i would drop them then

QualityLawnCare4u
08-28-2005, 04:55 PM
i would drop them then

Number one yard on my list to replace when I pick up one more. Have one more after this that has gotta go and all my bad ones will be gone.

MowerMoney
08-28-2005, 05:48 PM
1" square steel surveyers stake. The orange paint was wore off the top of it and it sat just below the grass level so I didn't see it at all. Totally destroyed both blades as the one stopped dead and the other tore into it. Shredded the drive belt too. Cost around $200 CDN for parts and labour to repair. And this was only the second lawn with a new machine at the very start of last year.

bob
08-28-2005, 05:57 PM
I was sucking up leaves with my Grasshopper vacuum, and it actually sucked up a dead squirrel. The only problem was that after it went into the hopper, is really stunk!!

kandklandscape
08-28-2005, 07:29 PM
2 - 3 years ago I hit something? DO not know what it was, rock or ashphalt.??? ANyways, I was on the tractor mowing and looked over and seen the glass shatter out of the back window pass side window and BOTH back windows, it was kinda funny, but I wish I would have went over and told the people I did the damage:(

Better luck next time.

Went back about 2 weeks later car was fine!!! It was a neon, and those windows must be extremly cheap?!

Brianslawn
08-28-2005, 07:31 PM
between me and the others... rebar, baseball bat, gas meter, sprinkler heads, backflow valve, lots of balls, toys, rolled up newspapers, box of condoms. what states do you guys live in that have womens undies laying all over, and whats up with that? ;)

Lake Claire Lawn Ranger
08-28-2005, 07:42 PM
Didn't we just do this list the other day! :dizzy:

CrewCutEnterprises
08-28-2005, 08:56 PM
Ill post the worst things in event of breaking something, other than your mower...

Lacrosse balls, They come out at 90 mph and break things.. They are hard to see. Ive hit a few, one hit a split fence and went probably 90 some feet in the air and landed in the yard.

Annoying. I sucked in a sunday washington post. Too much lift and it sucked in from the left side of the deck from about 4 inches away. Lots of confetti to rake up

TURF DOCTOR
08-28-2005, 09:44 PM
The worst helper sucked up a paper in a scag wildcat on a commercial property ;) a black day never saw such a mess.

Steppenwolf
08-28-2005, 10:31 PM
Not the worst thing to run over but an employee was cutting a yard about 60 feet away and hit a tennis ball and shot it right into my disharge chute and I shot it out into the street right into the sewer...THAT was a first.The worst thing was when an employee ran over a ten dollar bill,thought he was going to cry, but the bank gave him ten dollars in exchange:-)