PDA

View Full Version : Lawn Renovation

gaither
08-28-2005, 07:08 PM
I have aerated and over-seeded many yards and had great results but the job i will be doing this fall will need much more. The property is 3/4 of and acre. The yard has very little decent grass. My main concern is it is 99.99999 percent shaded. The property is covered in very large mature trees. Under the canopies there is little to no grass. I am going to get the soil tested but i am the areas that are bare have very little good soil. I have never slit seeded and not sure if that is the route i should go. Any help would be appreciated.

turfsurfer
08-31-2005, 07:23 AM
You can try a shade tolerant type grass but in reality, if it has that much shade your chances are pretty slim of making the customer happy with a lush lawn. I like turf type tall fescue for shade but you seem to have ALOT of shade. Take a walk through a mature wooded area sometime, there will be very little if any grass. A ground cover and landscaping might be the way to go here.

timturf
08-31-2005, 04:27 PM
Fine fescue will do much better than tt tall fescue in the shade. Mix should have creeping red fescue in it.

I think you probly have too much shade to grow a decent stand of turfgrass.
Remember, it's the morning sunlight that is important!