PDA

View Full Version : About to buy a JD Walk Behind, need advice

Gnyus
08-28-2005, 07:03 PM
Hi guys
First please notes that all prices are in CANADIAN currency, thanks.

I have been in the business for 4-5 years now, I have 3 JD JX75 21'' and actually run most of the time with 2 helpers. Most of my yards are quite small AND gated, this is why I did not buy a larger mower before.

I demoed a JD GS75 belt driven wb with a 36'' inch deck, it went through every gates and the cut quality is fairly good for a fixed deck.

This JD is very lightly used, the dealer says it has less than 30 hours on it (no hourmeter), the wb is very clean, only a few scratches and most important of all; it runs like new.

When I first asked to demo it I thought it was the smaller GS model which details at 3500$ but it is the big model with the 17hp Kholer engine and retails for just a tad over 5000$ with options.
How much do you guys think the dealer would let the GS75 go for? and will I be able to bargain on bag or mulch kit and extended warranty?
What is the life expanctancy of these mowers in term of hours?
What parts need to be changed regularly?
How is the maintenance in term of cost and will I be able to do most of them by myself with some basic tools?
Also, are there any issues with JD walk behind I should be aware of?

Thank you for responding, don't forget prices are in Canadian Currency

mcwlandscaping
08-28-2005, 07:56 PM
I all can make a mention of is about maintenance. What you'll need to change regularly (might be missing some) are:
Oil filter
Oil
Spark Plug (in your case spark plugs)
Air Filter
Important to keep up with greasing

and overall i like to keep my stuff clean.
Thats what i can think of now (like i said above, i am probably missing some!), yes these things you should be able to do on your own. Good Luck!

Gnyus
08-28-2005, 08:17 PM
Thank you very much for your input mcwlandscapping!
What about the belts and pullies? it has a lot more parts than my push mowers!
Does the pistol grips need to be adjusted very often?

mcwlandscaping
08-28-2005, 08:22 PM
I don't run pistols so i wouldn't know about that. I would think that they would be adjusted and ready for use. For belts and pulleys, i would just either run em till they break or until you notice a decrease in performance in the blades or speed for the mower. I bought an extra set of each when i bought the mower. The dealer actually gave me those and an extra air and oil filter. Just to let you know, i got 50% off my bag since i got it with the mower! Good Luck!