PDA

View Full Version : aeration procedure and pricing question

clydesdale
08-28-2005, 10:35 PM
So i am hearing that many charge about 3 times what you would cut the lawn for. But what is the proper method. I understand i should rent an aerator with the hollow spikes. Do i then overseed using a spreader? What is the proper method to aerate? Thank you.

redoak77
08-28-2005, 10:49 PM
i would like to add to this question. I aerated last year with a rented aera-vator but this year i bought a core aerator. should i moe right before i aerate or should i mow right after and help the plugs break down. Or would that be too harsh on my blades?

bushtrimmer
08-28-2005, 11:01 PM
It doesn't matter when you mow, i like to let customers see the plugs we pull, so if I had a choice, I say mow before. Way to hard to coordinate just to show long plugs of dirt.
Proper way to aerate is to go over entire yard in 2 directions, then we like to go over visible areas by walks and drive again to make it look like we really aerated the heck out of it. That's all for aerating.
If they want overseeding, then that's something else. After aerating, we go over bare areas with a dethatcher to really scratch up the lawn, then broadcast seed on at a rate of about 2#/ 1000 then throw extra seed on bare areas. Then apply a starter fertilizer.
Hope that makes sense and halps.

6'7 330
08-28-2005, 11:53 PM
Most aerators only do 9 to 12 holes a sq foot, the turf needs about twenty a sq foot. We run the Ryan over the turf twice, second pass is diagonal across the first pass.Overseed with a slitseeder, again we do two passes with the seeder, half seed rate each pass, and the second pass again is diagonal across the first.
Put out starter fert.

clydesdale
08-29-2005, 05:04 PM
Please describe a slit seeder. I have never used one. What do they cost to rent and what is the mechanism by which they work. Thanks. I have always just used a spreader to fan out the seed. Thanks