PDA

View Full Version : Adding hardscaping as a service

Dirty Water
08-29-2005, 12:23 AM
I'm interested in adding hardscaping as a service I can offer, and as someone who used to work in the concrete industry I know how to excavate a level area, how to screed, and how to build straight walls.

I'd love to find some good reading on how to properly work with hardscape materials (proper base materials, where to use geotextile fabric etc).

Is there any place online (or in a book) all you guys can point me to.

Theres pretty much nobody in this area who can do this worth a darn, so no luck subbing myself out.

Rex Mann
08-29-2005, 12:28 AM
Pavetech, a paving stone tool manufacture and supplier, has a pretty good "how-to" book out.

http://www.pavetech.com/indexold_files/English_Spanish_Order_Form.pdf

Some of it may be More than you'll need to get started. There is no substitute for O.T.J. training with a qualified company or mentor.

Peace,

Rex

PaversInstalled.Com (http://paversinstalled.com)

rakeeye
08-29-2005, 10:51 PM
icpi.org(interlocking concrete paver institute)

Dreams To Designs
08-30-2005, 12:20 PM
Rex said it best. You can learn a lot from books and seminars, but the real information comes from observing and working with someone with experience. You may find at first it will be smarter and more cost effective to sub out and learn any work you are not comfortable doing. Installing hardscape is done systematically. There are specific steps that need to be taken to install a safe and profitable hardscape design. Designing quality hardscape is an art in itself. You may find a designer or installer in your area to be able to work with and will already have the contacts and information you desire.

The ICPI may be helpful, but it is no guarantee to success. I have worked with more than one landscaper that was ICPI certified, but had never laid a paver.

Kirk

cgland
08-30-2005, 03:21 PM
ICPI will give you the basic necessary information you will need to install base and setting bed. If you don't know the proper materials to use, proper compaction or how to identify different soil types, your finished product will have a very short shelf life. I don't deny that ICPI is merely a stepping stone, but it is a very important one IMO. Field experience will certainly be your best teacher, but if you apply the knowledge from ICPI to it your projects will turn out better and be longer lived.

Chris

dmbmikee
09-11-2005, 12:20 PM
Believe it or not, Home Depot has some really good hardscape books ranging from 12-20 bucks. I have about 4 or 5 of em'.