PDA

View Full Version : Best trimmer for the Edgit ???

dmc456
08-29-2005, 07:47 AM
What is the best trimmer for the edgit? I'm looking for a trimmer with enough torque to mow, trim, and edge. If you have an edgit you know what I'm talking about. I don't even carry a 21" mower because you can cut just as fast with a good trimmer and an edgit.

Currently I have 2 echos (2 years old) with a ton of hours on them. They get used non stop 4-5 hours a day or about 5 gallons of gas a week.

I have a Echo SRM-210 which I purchased as a back up. Great for light trimming work on our regular mowing route or a backup. I'll probably keep getting these referbished from HomeDepot as backup trimmers since they only cost ~$100.

I also have an Echo SRM-230 which has a ton more power, but does it get hot after running it for 15-20 wide open. It gets so hot at the clutch housing on the engine that it burns your arm. I really like this one but the heat gets old in the middle of the summer.

Both Echos get hot, but the 210 has an extra plastic shield so it isn't as bad.

I'm leaning toward a Stihl but have not used one yet. I'm planning on getting a demo later this week. What Stihl model should I try?

PaulJ
08-30-2005, 12:24 AM
echos are good wiht the edgit because you don't need any adapter. wiht an edgit you usually don't need to run wide open, at least no for edging once the edge is established. my first one is on a 210 and it does seem a bit low on power when the string is out a couple inches past the edge of the disc (where it edges the best). I hasd one on a echo 260 for a while and there was plenty of power . NOw my main trimmer is a redmax 2600. lots of power. trims and edges great and the adapter for the edgit is simple and strong.
good luck and remember to "follow the edge"

dmc456
08-30-2005, 08:40 AM
So the edgit will fit the Redmax 2600?

procut
08-30-2005, 11:12 AM
Could someone tell me where I could get an edgit. I was going to order one a while back but lost the info. Thanks.

The mayor
08-30-2005, 11:34 AM
I found them on ebay for my stihl.

dmc456
08-30-2005, 01:46 PM
www.edgit.com

procut
08-30-2005, 08:54 PM
Thanks DMC/Mayor.

bushtrimmer
08-30-2005, 10:16 PM
We've found that an edgit really slows you down in larger areas to trim that walkbehinds can't get to.
Each of our crews carry around 2 weedeater, either redmax or stihl 4mix and a stihl edger.
We think it's faster to use an edger where needed, then grab a weedeater and finish up.

PaulJ
08-30-2005, 11:57 PM
So the edgit will fit the Redmax 2600?

Yes but not the 2400
Call EDGIT for compatability of other models.

PaulJ
08-30-2005, 11:58 PM
We've found that an edgit really slows you down in larger areas to trim that walkbehinds can't get to.
Each of our crews carry around 2 weedeater, either redmax or stihl 4mix and a stihl edger.
We think it's faster to use an edger where needed, then grab a weedeater and finish up.

If the edgit is slowing you down then your not using it right.

dmc456
08-31-2005, 11:24 AM
If the edgit is slowing you down then your not using it right.

No kidding....I can edge and run at the same time. I can edge while talking to an employee with one hand. It is so easy. Even my new guys can edge like a pro after 5 minutes. Of course they can't trim worth a crap, but the edge looks good.

Once you get good and with a large enough engine, you can mow with the edgit faster than using a 21" push mower. I don't even carry a 21" push mower.