PDA

View Full Version : accident

Toy2
08-29-2005, 10:44 AM
Okay folks, here's some advise for all of you.......son got married this past Saturday....had folks from out of town come in, some stayed with us in the house, others parked the 5th wheels in my yard and stayed there....anyway I moved all my trailers to one side of the yard, locked the enclosed because of the little kids....safety,etc.....shed locked, front gate locked so they couldn't run out......the little kids were playing on the open trailer, I have non slip tape on the step points, and it was empty, new floor.....well one little 6 year old goes outside by herself.......pulls the pins out of the gate and tries to climb it....yes it came crashing on her......anyway went to the hospital with her parents...they were wasted, so I drove.....she ended up with just a big bruise on her leg...I called my wife from the hospital and told her to get the biggest lock and lock the gate.....anyway I feel like I should have to pay the hospital bill, they have a huge plumbing company out of town....but no insurance......the family said don't worry about it.....but I'm sure it was the alcohol talking....glad everyone is out of my house....so look for things that you feel no one can mess with and lock it up.....and yes I'm thought I was Mr. Safety!!! :confused:

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC
08-29-2005, 10:54 AM
Wow, sorry to hear that. Glad its only a bruise. If the tail gate was anything like mine it probably would have broke an adult's leg had it come all the way down from the closed position. It would be a nice thing to do if you paid the bill, but if they dont mind I wouldnt push it cause we all know how cheap hospital bills are.

topsites
08-29-2005, 11:03 AM
Wow, sorry to hear that. Glad its only a bruise. If the tail gate was anything like mine it probably would have broke an adult's leg had it come all the way down from the closed position. It would be a nice thing to do if you paid the bill, but if they dont mind I wouldnt push it cause we all know how cheap hospital bills are.

Yeah you can likely expect something in the vicinity of 1 to 2 thousand dollars, maybe more.

There is a trick I learned over time:
WHEN the bill comes, pay like 20 or 30 dollars, you know, what you can afford. NO I am not joking.
So long your checks CLEAR, everything is fine because they HAVE to give you somewhere around 90 days before they can say you're NOT paying. Since in most cases the check WILL clear (i.e.: the hospital deposits it), I won't go into the situation where it does NOT (i.e.: the hospital demands payment in full) which rarely happens anyhow.
So you do this for some time, generally around the 6-month mark or thereabouts, you will get a letter which states if you pay the amount due in FULL within 30 days (or so) then they give you like a sizeable discount (in my case I think it was 20 percent, couple hundred dollars anyway). So then take advantage of this and 7 months later you're out from under it AND you got away couple hundred dollars cheaper. Not the best solution but it does save a bit of cash.

Then again, maybe you can just stroke off a check for $1,700 without blinking, dunno...

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC
08-29-2005, 11:11 AM
Yeah you can likely expect something in the vicinity of 1 to 2 thousand dollars, maybe more.

WHEN the bill comes, pay like 20 or 30 dollars, you know, what you can afford. NO I am not joking.
So long your checks CLEAR, everything is fine because they HAVE to give you somewhere around 90 days before they can say you're NOT paying. Since in most cases the check WILL clear (i.e.: the hospital deposits it), I won't go into the situation where it does NOT (i.e.: the hospital demands payment in full) which rarely happens anyhow.
So you do this for some time, generally around the 6-month mark or thereabouts, you will get a letter which states if you pay the amount due in FULL within 30 days (or so) then they give you like a sizeable discount (in my case I think it was 20 percent, couple hundred dollars anyway). So then take advantage of this and 7 months later you're out from under it AND you got away couple hundred dollars cheaper. Not the best solution but it does save a bit of cash.

Then again, maybe you can just stroke off a check for $1,700 without blinking, dunno...

Not a bad idea to save some cash. Seems like a lot of work :p

LawnBrother
08-29-2005, 05:12 PM
Yeah, if you need to save some cash, Topsites is the guy for tips like that. He'll mix water and vitamin D and end up with skim milk to save a buck. (yeah, I remember that post) JK :D
Anyway, thanks for the safety tip, that is a good one to keep in mind, especially if there are kids around. Never allow kids to play around any equipment, they can get into anything. I dropped my gate on my foot one day, and it ain't no joke, those things are heavy. Glad it was only a bruise.

farmerphilco
08-29-2005, 06:15 PM
Your home owners and business insurance should have a Med Pay section that will cover X amount of dollars without question since it happened on your property.

befnme
08-29-2005, 06:29 PM
so who was the responsible person watching the children while they(parents)were wasted.that is the person to pay if you dont want to file on homeowners.but if that person dosent want to pay then whoever signed for the child at the hospital will be probably be legaly responsible.but you did more than enough to secure the premesis.

Toy2
08-29-2005, 07:59 PM
Called our insurance guy today...so we are on stand by....the Dad was outside checking his messages by cell when it happened....the gate weighs at least 80 pounds or more, it would have killed one of the other little kids for sure, she was lucky she was close to the bottom, so when it hit it was at an angle and it didn't pin her....this girl is missing a gene, she is also missing something upstairs as well....I'm sure the bill is close to a grand.....Oh well, it could have been worse..

ITRY
08-29-2005, 08:08 PM

What if your customers used this same method to pay your bill?

MJM
08-29-2005, 08:22 PM
Ever wonder why insurance is so expensive?????

Mark

topsites
08-29-2005, 08:29 PM

Wouldn't be the first time I've given a 20 percent discount to get a check for the full amount of what was left right then and there, either :)

No I don't like it but 80 percent of something beats 0 percent of nothing and in certain cases the 20 percent discount is the FASTEST way to get paid.

By the way, lol, I still mix Full milk with water and here in about 2 weeks Food Lion will have Tuna Helper on sale at half price, so you know what that means (they put it on sale ONCE / year so I buy enough to last 12 months) :)

topsites
08-29-2005, 08:38 PM
Ever wonder why insurance is so expensive?????

Mark

Insurance pays for this FIRST:
- The rent on the building, the electric, phone, and furniture AND the employee's wages. THIS eats MOST of your premium except perhaps medical insurance.
- A SMALL amount of the premium (and I mean a SMALL amount) is set aside for eventual emergencies and once such an emergency happens, the COST of it is split MOSTLY the person with the emergency stands a chance of getting a higher rate BUT *EVERYBODY'S* rate goes up to help pay for it.
- In the end, insurance companies do NOT lose money, they are not paying out MORE than they are taking in, matter of fact, they STILL take in SLIGHTLY more than they are paying out in claims on TOP of their expenses.

Now lets get into the medical scam, after a biking accident in Europe we spent 2 hours in an ER in Switzerland with X-rays and stitches, the bill came to 225 dollars (300 Sf) not even a month ago and you see, for a bill like THAT I can whip out a credit card before I LEAVE the hospital the bill is paid. IF this were the case HERE, we MIGHT see a slightly better response from people such as myself. Not blaming it on you guys, but the medical farce has gone TOO far.

2k1yzfr1
08-29-2005, 11:01 PM
I wouldn't pay a damn thing because the drunk ass parents should have been watching their own kids. Why would you take her to the hospital for a bruised leg??

imdawrlus
08-29-2005, 11:06 PM
I wouldn't pay a damn thing because the drunk ass parents should have been watching their own kids. Why would you take her to the hospital for a bruised leg??

amen

if they change their minds as they sober up and try to get u to pay DONT! if they feel that strongly about it let them take you to court over it...i dont think you should have to pay a damn cent......its their kid, they should be watching her instead of getting $hitfaced....

Scotts' Yard Care
08-29-2005, 11:10 PM
You have a perfect understanding of insurance companies. Something will have to be done before we're all priced out of coverage and this day is coming very soon.

farmerphilco
08-30-2005, 09:12 AM
Topsites,

What insurance companies are you talking about? Not to cause an argument but there are more insurance companies that pay more than they take in. There are two different ways to measure the profitablility of an insurance company. One of those ways is always in the red on many companies. Do you know what these two ways to measure are?

pjslawncare/landscap
08-30-2005, 09:59 AM
ALL parents should have medical insurance for their adolecent children. You went beyond the coarse of helping this child. Any further dicigions, I would let a judge decide (if it even goes to court)

Remsen1
08-30-2005, 10:23 AM
Might be risky to volunteer to pay anything as it could be seen as an admission of guilt. Be supportive, be empathetic, but don't offer up money. I think the parents will be liable (they were wasted and were neglegent of their childs activities). I'm curious what led those responsible to decide that the kid needed to go to the hospital? Suspected broken bones, large abrasions, deep lacerations? Just wondering cause going to the hospital (if unecessary) would be the start of your problems.

Remsen1
08-30-2005, 10:26 AM

Topsites doesn't charge $50 for one Tylenol.

Toy2
08-30-2005, 10:26 AM
No insurance on any of them, yet the 5th that was here was worth 32K.....they thought the leg was broken and i was the only one sucking Pepsi, so I drove them to the hospital, of course the Dr. yanked on it and said its just bruised...so after 2 hours of hospital(ER) fun, we got home....of course the rest of the night was lost....but again it really could have been really bad, thank God...it just shows that no matter what you do, you could be safer!!! Lesson learned on my part: Make all family stay at a hotel, then you all meet up, have fun, go back to your homes.....no one is staying here anymore!!!