PDA

View Full Version : How often do you guys sharpen your hedge trimmer blades

christoff
08-29-2005, 01:43 PM
I had mine sharpened about 6 months ago and I barely use them and their sharp? How often do you guys sharpen them?

lawn_jockey
08-29-2005, 04:54 PM
Didn't realize you could sharpen them. I know mine could definately use it though. How do you sharpen them. Just get out the old file and go to town?

jbell113
08-29-2005, 06:08 PM
Had mine 2 years and never sharpened them

Turfdude
08-29-2005, 09:14 PM
Sharpen them "as needed". Once you see them begin to "tear" and not cut. I have a retired guy in my area who sharpens for $6/ trimmer (Double sided 2 blades). I do have to r&r them, but thats only 20 mins off & 20 mins back on. Usually done in a day or 2 - takes him all of maybe 10 mins w/his sharpener. They're always sharper than new ones too. Chani saw loops are4 about $3 each as well.

hole in one lco
08-29-2005, 09:20 PM
2 times a year spring and late summer I take them to my guy and he does it for 5.00 a blade

Blades of Steel
08-29-2005, 09:39 PM
Mine are self sharpening. Never sharpened them in 2 seasons and they seem to work fine as long as I keep the feeler guage and a wrench handy to tighten them up.

Tim

ed2hess
08-29-2005, 09:39 PM
We sharpen them about every month, it depends on usage. Use angle grinder that is used to sharpen blades. I take the gear box plate off and spark plug out so I can rotate the gears to get the blades at the correct position to sharpen them. Don't take the blades off!

Roger
08-30-2005, 04:23 PM
I have a Stihl HS80, and sharpen them in the off-season. But, I don't do clipping on a regular basis -- maybe 40 hrs per season? I take the gear cover off and disassemble the bar so that each blade is separate. This gives me a chance to clean up everything very well, and get the gear case cleaned out and loaded with fresh lube. In the off-season, my time is worth $0, so even if it takes me an hour or two, I feel like I've done something worthwhile.

If the bar is disassembled, beware of the through bolts holding all the parts together. On my Stihl, there are four bolts, with whiz(?) nuts (serrations on the flat surface, both nut and bolt). If they are cycled off/on, the serrations will wear off a little and keeping them tight may be a problem. I've lost a couple of bolts on the first Spring outing, but not consistently. Just keep an eye on them for the first couple of hours of service.

sawman65
08-30-2005, 05:01 PM
make sure you have the gear box greased. when i sharpen them in the shop we remove the blade from the unit and sharpen them in the stihl sharpner.that is the best way i have found.also stop some costly repairs that way.

dfor
08-30-2005, 06:07 PM
Mine get sharpened once per season. I leave the blades on, and use a Dremel tool.