PDA

View Full Version : Getting pavers flush with top of wall blocks

erp2863
08-30-2005, 12:27 AM
I'll be building a paver patio where one edge requires a retaining wall (14" above ground) due to the slope of the yard away from the house. I want the pavers to be level with the top of the wall blocks. Should I build the base so that after adding the 1" of sand that the pavers are 1/4" above the wall blocks? After using the plate compactor, should I be level?

Appreciate any help,

Eric

mbella
08-30-2005, 07:33 AM
We usually go with 3/8". Yes, they should be level when you're done. It doesn't always work out perfectly, but it's easy to make adjustments. Although, I have one right now that's kickin my a**.

erp2863
08-30-2005, 10:37 AM
Thanks for the followup. Thinking about it, I think you'd want to err on the side of leaving the pavers slightly higher than the wall. Wouldn't worry about tripping when stepping off the wall or having water gather at the interface.

Does 3/8" usually leave the pavers level or slightly higher?

mbella
08-30-2005, 01:30 PM
yes...........

cgland
08-30-2005, 03:15 PM
erp - Typically when installing a raised patio, we screed to the top of the wall block (cap not installed yet). In this application the cap is usually 3" thick, so adhere your caps to the wall block and screed your 1" of sand as usual. Once you lay your paver in you should be 3/8" above the cap height. Compact as usual and everything should work out(provided your base is correct. Hope this helps.

Chris

fall46
08-30-2005, 03:29 PM
http://www.idealconcreteblock.com/contractors_corner/PaveCont7-12.pdf

great info and little blips on how to install pavers page 3 addreses some of your questions

try this for the whole process

look down on left hand side middle portion (Installing Interlocking Concrete Pavers)

http://www.idealconcreteblock.com/contractors_corner.cfm

DVS Hardscaper
08-30-2005, 07:52 PM
Install the wall cap and secure with adhesive.

then bring you compacted fill aggregate so that it comes 3-inches from the top of the cap.

Screed your 1-inch washed concrete bedding sand.

install pavers. Compact. Adjust as needed.

Done.

erp2863
08-31-2005, 01:36 AM
Thanks everyone!!

GreenMonster
08-31-2005, 01:52 PM
We usually go with 3/8". Yes, they should be level when you're done. It doesn't always work out perfectly, but it's easy to make adjustments. Although, I have one right now that's kickin my a**.

Glad I'm not the only one. :)