PDA

View Full Version : Printers for Design Software?

PRapoza451
03-13-2001, 09:21 AM
Hi guys,
I have been using DIG for the last year and only have a laser printer and a crappy HP inkjet. I'm wondering what you think the best printer is for printing plans out? Is the 11x17 paper format better? Thanks.
_________
Paul
http://www.rapoza.com

paul
03-13-2001, 09:49 PM
Any time you can go bigger you should. Epson and HP make the best printer, but you pay for it.
I like an E size plotter for real details on a plan view, any smaller and you might as well give them a 8 X 10 peice of paper.

Lanelle
03-14-2001, 08:13 AM
If you wish to print larger photos, Epson and HP make printers that will handle the 11 x 17 photo paper and do a nice job. Should cost $400 - $500. The Epson I have is a little slow at printing out text documents.

PRapoza451
03-14-2001, 12:13 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I will go to Staples and check out Epson & HP large format printers (11x17).

steveair
03-14-2001, 12:51 PM
Hello,

The bigger the better, at least that is what I say.

I currently am running a HP 1120c deskjet, which will do up to 13x19, but has to be manually fed and paper has to be pre-cut. Usually, I run 11x17 which it will load automatically. I got mine at staples too, think it was around 450, but they had a 100 mail in rebate, so it seemed like a good deal at the time

After these, the only other choice is a plotter. I priced out a few the other day, and HP has some 'economy' models in the 2-3k range that will work. If you go into the higher end stuff, you start looking at the 5-6k range pretty fast.

One idea is to look for used stuff. I missed the oppurtunity to pick up a used one the other day for around 1k. Its not a bad idea, considering I don't use it any where near as much as a firm would that prints out 100's of plans a day. Only problem is some of them run some funny programming and u can run into some technical problems, but most plotters are kind of quirky.

One thing with the smaller ones is it does give the option of 'tileling' paper together so you can create a larger 24x36" plan. I do this often, and it is very handy for creating base plans for hand rendering. You just tape them together, and then use your trace/vellum on top of it. Works great.

steveair