PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys think of this truck?

LawnBoy89
08-30-2005, 01:43 PM
Hey guys right now I use my dads 97 F-150 4X4 ext. cab to haul my trailer and do all my landscaping but I've decided I should get my own truck because alot of people think I should. I know you guys are pretty knowledgable about trucks so tell me what you guys think of this one.

http://www.automart.com/vehicledetail/adid-21400502/1994/gmc/2500-pickup/east-windsor/ct

scagwildcat
08-30-2005, 03:38 PM
nice truck! , if your going to use it to hang out with your buddies, you really need to look for a truck thats not lifted or has big tires, we live in ct. think of winter, how are you going to plow with a lifted truck? also by having a lifted truck, yes i do like them, but from another view, it looks like your really not a co, it may come across as just another guy with a truck and a trailer, doing it part time.... but if the truck is not lifted and you can just put smaller tires and a plow on it, then yes it will make you a great work truck, as i had one just like it for many years and it made me ton's $$$$$ IF YOU DO PLOW WITH IT, MAKE SURE THAT YOU PUT WEIGHT IN THE BACK AS IT IS A LIGHT TRUCK..... hope that it helps

LawnBoy89
08-30-2005, 04:05 PM
Thanks, I am only doing it part time though because I go to school and I also work at a grocery store. I only have about 17 accounts.

Also, what is wrong with the tires for plowing? I've never plowed before so I don't know what its like.

Also the truck has 130k miles on it so I am reconsidering.

scagwildcat
08-30-2005, 04:25 PM
wide tires tend to float on the snow, thus no traction....

MOZE4MUNY
08-30-2005, 10:35 PM
Nice looking truck. I prefer a "non-lifted" work truck though. Maybe I'm just getting old. If you're a young pup, loading and unloading fert bags, mulch etc won't hurt the next morning like some of us seasoned (read: rapidly aging) guys.

Smalltimer1
08-30-2005, 11:22 PM
Lifted trucks look unprofessional, as the others have stated. It just gives the customer the idea that you don't reinvest the money you get from them into your business. Sure many will say the customer doesn't care what the man does with the $$$ but some people could/would think that it is just plain immature.

UNISCAPER
08-30-2005, 11:33 PM
That year GM truck had arguably the worst front braking systems on the planet. If you get 15K out of front pads and 30K out of rotors, you'll be lucky. Add the bigger tires and it will eat them even faster.

Just something you should know before making a purchase.

Itsgottobegreen
08-30-2005, 11:41 PM
The second problem with lifted trucks when plowing. Is the plow will not sit level when angled. Since the rear of the plow now sits 4 to 8 inches higher. So you have to modify your plow. Not fun.

Personally I would walk. I would look at spending $10,000 to $15,000 for a newer truck. If you want diesel its more of $20,000 or more.

LawnBoy89
08-31-2005, 02:30 PM
Yea, after talking to my dad and looking around yesterday I probably will be walking away from it althought I think it is a pretty sharp looking truck for a pretty cheap price. I found a really nice 01 F-350, V8 (I think 5.4L gas engine) reg. cab short bed but they wanted 17,900. I couldn't justify or afford that.

AK Lawn
08-31-2005, 09:31 PM
Nice truck and there is nothing wrong with a lifted truck, i got commented on mine all of the time, it is my personal truck, i have 5 work trucks but i used my lifted dodge when needed and had magnetic signs for it, and yes you can plow no prob in the winter, i would know i live in 'ak
AK Lawn

The Good Earth
09-01-2005, 01:53 PM
A lifted truck will plow just fine (that truck has a body lift you can tell by looking at where he rear bumper rides). A body lift means the frame rides in the stock position but the body is rasied. Oversize tires do float if they are too wide. With that truck it looks as if it has 15" wheels. Sticking with 16" tires would do you much better on that truck. Also, you have to account for the speedometer being off with any other tire size than stock. The upside is it is really easy to take a body lift off of a truck. You can have it pulled in an afternoon and listed on ebay that evening.

The brakes are going to be ok, not great but ok. Important to keep them maintained to get more life out of them. Also, trailer brakes will help save your truck brakes for a good long while longer.

Myself, I would jump on that truck in a new york minute. My bet is you could get it out the door for somewhere around $4300.

efaubert1
09-01-2005, 02:22 PM
Yea, after talking to my dad and looking around yesterday I probably will be walking away from it althought I think it is a pretty sharp looking truck for a pretty cheap price. I found a really nice 01 F-350, V8 (I think 5.4L gas engine) reg. cab short bed but they wanted 17,900. I couldn't justify or afford that.

If you get a gas engine Ford Super Duty get the V-10, not the V-8. I owned an F250 w/ the 5.4L and it is not a truck that will push snow and haul trailers all that well. And the truck you looked at is a long bed, not short bed if it is an 01 Super Duty, as Ford has never made a shortbed 1ton in single rear wheel drive. Also, the V-10's mpg dif from the V-8 is negligible, less than 1mpg. As for the Chevy, I'd pass on that high mileage personally.
Anyone that wants to blast this critique of trucks please don't, I'm 40 years old and have driven as many if not more trucks than most on this site since I was 12 years old, and I have owned every engine scenario Ford has offered in the Super Duty except the 6.0L Powerstroke. So I don't look forward to the petty "well if you weren't a pup" line that tends to fly around here.

LawnBoy89
09-02-2005, 08:59 PM
Honestly, with gas now, I think a truck might be out of the question I have one that works fine now and I think I am going to subconract out my friend this winter for plowing. You guys really seem like you know what you are talking about, but the F-350 I looked at was most def. a short bed. I'm not positive it was an 01 it may have been an 03, but I'm certain it was a short bed, because the bed was the same size as mine and I have a short bed. I think when I finally do invest in the truck I'm going to do things right and get a diesel.

Speaking of trailer brakes, I wish my trailer had them. The truck I use isn't a superduty its a 150, so the brakes really take a beating since they really aren't meant for what I put them through. My trailer really isn't too heavy since I only carry one mower right now and trimmers, blowers, thats about it but I have heavy wooden sides on it for when I do mulch jobs, anyways thanks alot for the help and I'll keep in mind everything you guys said.

I'll probably end up getting a Ford, or Chevy/GMC...unless anyone has anything good to say about Dodges?

Itsgottobegreen
09-02-2005, 10:04 PM
I cooked my front brakes on my 2001 F-150 pulling a 14' trailer with two standers and 32" walk behind. A lot of weight. Most trailers can be upgraded with brakes with a kit from TCS. $150 if I remember right.

Smalltimer1
09-03-2005, 12:05 AM
If you have to get a trailer brake controller, get a Tekonsha Prodigy, I have one and it is the best one I've ever used and/or had. Smooth, integrated trailer stops, along with self tests to make sure the trailer wiring is good. I got mine at Agri-Supply Co. for $125.

LawnBoy89
09-03-2005, 12:57 AM
I cooked my front brakes on my 2001 F-150 pulling a 14' trailer with two standers and 32" walk behind. A lot of weight. Most trailers can be upgraded with brakes with a kit from TCS. $150 if I remember right.

Wait..let me get this straight, I can have full wiring for a trailer, with rotors and calipers and everything for $150? Noooo....

The Good Earth
09-03-2005, 01:20 AM
I think that $150 is a little low. I just checked on ebay and it looks like you are looking at about $450. My 16 foot trailer with brakes, new tires and wheels, steel deck, and ramp cost me $1300 new. You would probably be better served picking up a new trailer if you are gonna sub your plowing.

Subbing your plowing is a great idea. No wear and tear and your trucks, no getting up at 4 a.m. to get stuff done. Only thing you have to do is babysit and collect whatever % you mark it up.

Just a little food for thought. My main mowing truck is a '93 GMC K1500. I haul 2 z's and a 48" wb along with a couple of trim mowers. I built a box on the front of the trailer for tools, trimmers, cans, etc.. I pull all this and my truck has a 4.3 with 220,000 miles on it. I put air bags in the rear to level the load. A 3/4 or 1 ton is nice but a whole bunch can be done with less. My 3500 sits and only goes on construction jobs. It makes life a whole lot easier on the fuel budget. When my 3500 is loaded I am probably getting 8-9 mpg on a good day. The truck is necessary but is only used when I am actually painted into a corner. $3 a gallon gas has forced me to be way more creative with contracts signed in the spring.

Itsgottobegreen
09-05-2005, 02:16 AM
Wait..let me get this straight, I can have full wiring for a trailer, with rotors and calipers and everything for $150? Noooo....
I got to go to TSC tomarrow. I will double check. But that might have been per wheel. I know we added brakes to a buddy's trailer about two years ago.

northwest lawn
09-06-2005, 01:02 AM
plowed with two of my dads lifted trucks in the past pushed tons of snow and never had a problem with the bigger tires or being lifted. never got stuck either

Itsgottobegreen
09-06-2005, 01:58 PM
OK it was a $100 for the brake drum kit, $90 for the electric brake unit kit, $20 for a trailer wiring harness. So $210 for both sides. Another $210 of you have a four wheel trailer. You have to put it together your self. :D

LawnBoy89
09-07-2005, 07:07 PM
Well, I think all be alright for now...lol....I would have to have it done though, I would wire it but the brakes themselves I wouldn't know where to start.

bohiaa
09-12-2005, 02:22 PM
Don't know about everyone else, But I'm starting to get a few years on my body, and it's hell for me to get in and out of those lifted trucks.
also its hell to get anything in or out of the bed of one....

Think I'de pass it by

n2h20
09-12-2005, 02:47 PM
my 1st truck was an 89 chevy long bed with a 350. towed travel trailors, boats and dump trailors with it very often and never had to do anything major except the tranny once,,, the fron end has always given me trouble,,, i think it was in an accident b4 i had it. but now it has over 250k miles on it and still going.... of course i dont trust it for a daily driver.. thats why i got 04 2500hd.. wich loves the gas,.,,,

Metro Lawn
09-12-2005, 05:33 PM
You don't have to spend alot to get a decent work truck. We just picked this one up for $2900.00 and it came with a Western plow, hitch, brake controller ect. 360 V8, auto, 113,000 miles, 3/4 ton 4x4 Not a bad deal, you just have to look a bit.