PDA

View Full Version : tracking dye marker in house

DLS1
08-30-2005, 11:13 PM
Just bought some dye marker for spot spraying yards for weeds. Never used it before but know it is suppose to break down and disappear with sun and water.

I spray a few house that have small dogs. have you had any problems with customer animals tracking it into the house and on carpets. Does the dye marker dry real quick (1 or 2 hours) if their is plenty of sun? Can dogs get it on their paws after it is dry and track it in the house?

bushtrimmer
08-30-2005, 11:39 PM
it dries relatively quick. the dogs shouldn't be on the weed killer any sooner than the dye would dry.
BTW... why use dye when spot spraying weeds in a yard. IMO it would be best to pick a pattern to spray weeds and make sure not to overlap by knowing where you've been.

DLS1
08-30-2005, 11:58 PM
BTW... why use dye when spot spraying weeds in a yard. IMO it would be best to pick a pattern to spray weeds and make sure not to overlap by knowing where you've been.

Spot spraying to me is spraying 1/4 at most the yard for weeds. I only pick yards that don't have many weeds since I am only using two 4 gal. backpacks. I want make sure I have gotten all the weeds instead of guess.

ArizPestWeed
08-31-2005, 12:23 AM
You use a dye for the same reason you would use it anywhere , so there's NO question where you have been and what else needs it .

I would never be with out it, besides , in Az , it dries in seconds , as you walk away

GreenUtah
08-31-2005, 06:48 PM
Dries instantly at 120 degrees and 8 % humidity! lol..The time it actually will dry in there depends on temp, humidity and the amount of water he is putting down with it. I have encountered a tracking issue with pendimethelin before, white dog, white carpet..not too nice of a deal...yes, we left specific instructions on the door and a flag in the lawn, no the customer did not see either apparantly when she arrived home for lunch and let the furball make a run for it. Moral of the story is that I wouldn't use a dye anymore than I needed to and spot spraying is not a need to. Or roll the dice, it's your money =)

GreenUtah
08-31-2005, 06:50 PM
BTW..stick your finger in the dye and imediately go wash your hands. That should give you an idea of how well water will clean that off. Make sure you mark the calendar so that you will know how many days of regular washing that will take.

Garth
09-04-2005, 08:16 PM
I use TurfMark but used to use Blazon(*sp?). TurfMark works well and usually washes off relatively easy. Stuff dries bloody fast. Blazon is much more expensive and it's the devil to get off. It comes down to preference, I suppose. I have a standardized form that I go over with the customer before the application that shows the chemical, EPA number, app. rate, and all safety instructions (reentry period, poisoning symptoms, active ingredients, etc.) that the customer signs. Friend of mine had a nasty lawsuit thrown at him when some customer let her poochie out to pee RIGHT AFTER he had applied Fumitoxin to kill gophers. Needless to say, Fido was t!ts up and the owner went postal. Luckily, he had her signature on a copy of the safety instructions stating that no-one was to enter the back yard for any reason for six hours. What I'm trying to get at is you have to protect YOURSELF out there no matter what you're applying. People are sue-happy and will look for ANY reason to make someone else, namely you, flip the bill. Carpet cleaning can be expensive if Boo-Boo and Pudgy decide to run all over the house.

DLS1
09-04-2005, 10:22 PM
I tryed the dye I bought and will never use it again. That stuff is a mess to get off your hands, etc.

brizine
09-05-2005, 01:39 AM
Blazon dye is the only dye I have ever used that is easy to wash off but gives good coverage.