PDA

View Full Version : LED holiday lighting

BSDeality
08-31-2005, 11:51 AM
Hey guys, I'm lookin to do some lighting this winter and want to jump into it prepared. Does anyone use LED strings? I like the appeal of low power consumption, less heat, etc. Is it a big seller? or do people go with the cheaper traditional lights?

I see some people charge per strand, others is time + materials, what've you found works best?
Also, can someone recommend a wholesaler to go through to get lights? LED and otherwise.

lilmarvin4064
10-08-2005, 12:49 PM
over time the LED lights are going to get more and more popular and will become the standard in the future, but usually people just buy the cheapest thing. What they don't think about is though the initial cost is higher, you will eventually save a lot more money from lower electricity usage, and they last a lot longer. LEDs should last about 11 years if run constantly and they are much more shock-resistant. I've seen 1 or 2 companies that sell them but I can't remember what the names were. I'll find out when it gets closer to Christmas.

fraggle
10-08-2005, 04:31 PM
GKI carries LED Lights, so does Action Lighting. They are quite expensive compared to the others, eventuallly they'll come down in price. You can get a strand of 100 ,3000 hour commercial minis for 5.50 . A 50 strand of LED's costs 12.25 for clear, and anywhere from 7.50 to 10.50 for colors. Big price difference, people are not ready to spend that unless they got lots of cash.

BSDeality
10-10-2005, 10:03 AM
thanks, I was at Costco the other day and they had some holiday stuff setup. They claimed their string lights to be commercial grade and were capable of stringing 6 sets (of 20' i believe). I can't remember the price however, I might have to take another trip up there.

PerfesserCoffee
10-24-2005, 01:46 PM
I've heard that Target has been carrying some white LED Christmas lights for $5 or $6.