PDA

View Full Version : building walls around a platform

Nazarah
08-31-2005, 02:21 PM
This is something I want to try in my back yard, but I'm not sure if I should be trying it myself or hiring a professional........but here goes.

There is going to be a hot tub moving into my back yard soon. I want to make it a little different on the placement however. I want to get some fill dirt, and build up a bit of a "hill", surround that with some sort of landscaping stone and make sure the entire middle is filled with dirt. Then cover the top with something smooth that I have not yet decided, and place it up on this platform.

My concern is one of two things. First, what if the dirt in the middle settles? Of course that is going to be bad, but how can I prevent it? I would use a compacter to pack the dirt down as much as possible before hand but I'm not sure if that is enough.

Second, with the weight of a full hot tub, I am a bit concerned if the walls around the platform will hold up to the pressure.

Any ideas / hints would be appreciated. :)

rakeeye
09-03-2005, 12:27 PM
hire a professional

dmbmikee
09-11-2005, 10:35 AM
Get about 10 yards of slag sand or 21AA and use split rock or something comparable to RETAIN. Build one row around the area, then fill and compact....and so on. How high you planning to raise the area?

and hire a professional.....lol

UNISCAPER
09-11-2005, 11:00 AM
Anytime we raise a hottub in the manor you are speaking, we build a
Keystone segmental wall around the perimeter you want raised. The reason we use Keystone is the pins. Over the pins from side to side, we install a layer of directional grid (strata Grid 300) and tie both sides together. At the ground level we gfo one way, and the next course up we tie the other way. Then compact the base inside the box until you hit the hieght you are looking to hit.

Most hot free formed self contained tubs measure 92x92, and without seeing fully the area you want to do this in, it is hard to say, but you are going to need a box at least 15x15 in order to put a railing around the tub so you don't fall out.

It is alot easier to build the tub at ground level and design a wall system that flows around it, check out my site, www.naturescapelandscape.com
to see what i'm talking about. This is not a job you want to take on as your first unless your skils are above average and you have the time to do it.

I hope this helps.

dmbmikee
09-13-2005, 07:51 AM
Anytime we raise a hottub in the manor you are speaking, we build a
Keystone segmental wall around the perimeter you want raised. The reason we use Keystone is the pins. Over the pins from side to side, we install a layer of directional grid (strata Grid 300) and tie both sides together. At the ground level we gfo one way, and the next course up we tie the other way. Then compact the base inside the box until you hit the hieght you are looking to hit.

Most hot free formed self contained tubs measure 92x92, and without seeing fully the area you want to do this in, it is hard to say, but you are going to need a box at least 15x15 in order to put a railing around the tub so you don't fall out.

It is alot easier to build the tub at ground level and design a wall system that flows around it, check out my site, www.naturescapelandscape.com
to see what i'm talking about. This is not a job you want to take on as your first unless your skils are above average and you have the time to do it.

I hope this helps.

off topic- but hey Bill, Great Work man! Just checked out yur website.....incredible!

CT18fireman
11-03-2005, 07:29 PM
I was told by a rep of a national manufacturer that they want their tubs on a concrete pad. I have done a few on pavers / compacted base and even a couple just on a compacted base with no problems.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Was this guy blowing smoke or telling the truth?