PDA

View Full Version : Bradford Pear Problem...

horselady
08-31-2005, 05:39 PM
Has anyone had problems with Bradford Pears this season? I have a customer who has had the Pear for 9 years and the leaves are turning brown and curling up. Nothing is visible on the tree.

Any suggestions? :help:

lush&green
08-31-2005, 06:20 PM
Could be fire blight or mites? Hard to tell with out seeing it. Picture? Are the ends of the branches dying as well?

GreenUtah
08-31-2005, 06:43 PM
I also would ask if another tree or tall object to the south or west of it has been removed. Is it in the turf? Is there mower or trimmer damage to the trunk?

Pro Lawn LLC
09-01-2005, 12:03 PM
Without seeing the tree I would be inclined to lean towards L&G and the fire blight. Fire blight is actually a virus and the only thing that will control it is streptimycin - sp?. You will not only have to treat the tree itself, but any other pear trees nearby and either treat the leaves that have fallen off or burn them. Otherwise it will reinfect.

Rtom45
09-01-2005, 12:50 PM
What kind of summer have you had? It could be as simple as drought.

horselady
09-01-2005, 03:57 PM
We have had 20+ 90 degree days. Last year we had none.

I'll get picture and post.

sheshovel
09-01-2005, 04:07 PM
Fire Blight looks black and turns the stems and leaves black more than brown.Is the tree getting water?

horselady
09-01-2005, 04:43 PM
Here's a picture of a leaf and those on the tree. The neighbor across the street has the same problem with his pears.

We had a cool spring, and hot, dry summer. We just got 3.7 inches from Katrina. We are in a drought but we have had rain.

lush&green
09-01-2005, 07:25 PM
Is there any green left on the tree? When did the problem first start? I need to see a pic from father away. Looks like it could of possibly been blight but need more pics.

Wolfie's L&L
09-01-2005, 09:21 PM
I also would ask if another tree or tall object to the south or west of it has been removed. Is it in the turf? Is there mower or trimmer damage to the trunk?

I'm curious to the remark about something to the south and west being removed-why is it specifically those areas??

Jason

horselady
09-01-2005, 10:56 PM
You will also see a maple in the background. Maybe this will help or I'll take a better picture tomorrow.

B&B
09-01-2005, 11:00 PM
i've had the same problem with apple trees. it's fire blight. prune off affected parts & treat w/ copper hydroxide every 7 to 14 days

grasswhacker
09-01-2005, 11:04 PM
You will also see a maple in the background. Maybe this will help or I'll take a better picture tomorrow.

My advise is to cut it down and vow to never plant a Bradford pear for the rest of your natural life. Their nothing but a headache.

Killswitch
09-01-2005, 11:10 PM
If thats fire blight which looks plausible its been going on longer than just this season.

Rtom45
09-02-2005, 10:28 AM
Yea, that looks like blight to me. I'll go along with the suggestion to get rid of the whole tree.

GreenUtah
09-02-2005, 04:12 PM
I'm curious to the remark about something to the south and west being removed-why is it specifically those areas??

Jason

Jason,
Sunscald is very common to trees that have been in shade or at lower altitudes then transplanted to a sunnier area or a higher altitude with stiffer UV exposure. Her intitial description could have fit those symptoms, but after seeing the pictures, I would agree with the fire blight diagnosis and suggest replacement with a more tolerant species, even though the likely culprit for the explosion was the wet spring, much like anthracnose on old growth sycamores in Utah this year for the same reasons(wet spring). Anyway, the south or west tree removal triggering sun scald on delicate ornamentals like many of the flowering fruit trees, is because that is where the sun is in the peak UV strength times during the day in the Northern Hemisphere...the south and west. Giving way to heavier UV exposure to trees that may not be acclimated to it.

GreenUtah
09-02-2005, 04:13 PM
Actually, I would still like to see the base of the tree.

Vaughan's Lawns
09-14-2005, 05:21 PM
What you have is Hawthorn Rust. This is like the Cedar Apple Rust on crabs.

Brartlett will get fire blight but not really Bradfords. You can tell the fire blight because the ends of the branches look like they where burned and sometime a orange goo will form.

Mike

MIDWEST25
09-16-2005, 10:28 AM
Your problem most likely is below ground