PDA

View Full Version : heater core 97 f150

stevesmowing
08-31-2005, 07:15 PM
I have to replace the heater core on my 97 f150 I know you have to remove the dash and it takes at least 8 hours or more... anyone ever done it before?

xcopterdoc
08-31-2005, 07:51 PM
Yup! Its a great adventure!

hole in one lco
08-31-2005, 08:11 PM
yes and how many screws did you have left over. :)

stevesmowing
08-31-2005, 08:19 PM
I replaced a light in the dash for the tach meter over the winter like you said why do they use so many screws! Its tricky around the head light switch how that removes and comes out to get at a loner screw back in there. Anyone sugestions before I start this project. I am not sure when I will start because I use the truck a lot. I just don't want to pay the labor that someplace would charge I'm guess it would be at least $500 or more.

John Gamba
09-01-2005, 07:00 AM
I replaced a light in the dash for the tach meter over the winter like you said why do they use so many screws! Its tricky around the head light switch how that removes and comes out to get at a loner screw back in there. Anyone sugestions before I start this project. I am not sure when I will start because I use the truck a lot. I just don't want to pay the labor that someplace would charge I'm guess it would be at least $500 or more.

When did they go back to this?? Before you just pulled it threw the glove box.

John

Woody82986
09-01-2005, 04:14 PM
I have had two heater cores replaced in 2 1/2 years. I have a 99 F 150. The Ford house will charge you $33 for the actual heater core and apporximately $700 for labor. That core is a pain to get to and I didn't have the time it would take to get to it. They charge for 8 hours of shop time but the guy had it torn apart, replaced and put back together in less than 4. Don't you just love the Ford house and those little books that tell you how long a repair should take. My advice is to do it yourself if you have the time and patience.

lawnmaniac883
09-01-2005, 08:08 PM
They put it in such an assanine location so that you have to pay their dealer to replace it because it is too difficult for you to do the job yourself. Quality FORD engineering.

xcopterdoc
09-01-2005, 08:32 PM
I show it as a 5.9 hr job. At least thats what yur gonna pay and what the flatraped tech will get paid.
Also there is a TSB out for muliple heater core replacements and what to do to prevent it. If anyone wants a copy, let me know. It applies to just about every FLM vehicle out there... go figure!

UNISCAPER
09-01-2005, 09:25 PM
That was just before Ford made changing a heater core easy. post '99 trucks show a 3 hour labor rate, the core is aluminum and will split 2-3 times in the life of the truck, (we installed 3 of them in an F-450) but man what a breeze to change....Open the glove box, undo about 9 screws, unbolt a control valve, and the thing is in your lap. An hour in, and out. The biggest PIA are those Polish plastic clips they use rather than real hose clamps. $27.00 for a pair.....