PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations?

guntruck
03-13-2001, 04:58 PM
I have a client that has a fairly steep hill that he doesnt want to mow this year. It gets full sun and he wants to just make it a LOW(he stressed) maintenance garden with ground cover to keep from mowing it. I was thinking just renting a sod cutter and throwing down some landscape fabric and putting some Pakysandras down, i know they like shade but there in full sun at my moms house and i cant get rid of them. Is there another better (prettier) ground cover for this i could use that is low maint.? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated guys, thanks.

joshua
03-13-2001, 05:08 PM
how big of a hill is it and how steep if you had to judge??

ok from the looks of it you are in zone 6 or 7. in my one book it only has ophiopogon(lily turf) its a deep green, grassy leaves. purplish flowers are followed by small blue fruits. grows in sun or shade. it is a dwarf. also know as o.japonicus. i hope this helps.

kutnkru
03-13-2001, 11:23 PM
Here are some past discussions on your predicament:

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?threadid=10176
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?threadid=8867

Hope this helps Guys!
Kris

Lanelle
03-14-2001, 10:43 PM
If your client wants an evergreen, permanent type of cover, you might consider using Blue Rug Juniper or Shore Junipers. The choices depend on the look that is desired. Another periennial type of ground cover that might work for you is Geranium sanguinium Striatum. Its nearly evergreen here. Try to educate your client about maintenance. The first year or so that anything is put in requires maintenance----watering, weeding and fertilizing. The only exception to that may be the wildflower mix. Not everyone can tolerate that look though.

CCLC
03-14-2001, 11:01 PM
The Pakysandras would look good after it filled in but I don't think that you want to do the weed fabric with them. When they fill in the will provide the weed control themselves.

guntruck
03-15-2001, 06:27 AM
Thanks for the info guys!!!!!!!!!Much appreciated. =)

ianc
03-15-2001, 06:49 AM
I would'nt remove the turf from that area - I would just plant in pockets, You don't want any erosion till things get established and starve off the turf
I would suggest Goutweed - it has worked will for me

tpirobert
03-15-2001, 07:40 AM
Any spreading Juniper variety will work. Could also terrace in a few other flowering shrubs or trees with juniper. I would not put down fabric as this will inhibit ground cover from spreading and putting down new roots.