PDA

View Full Version : New Old Truck ?

herb_nc
08-31-2005, 09:02 PM
Just curious to thoughts here as to the market value in your area or an opinion on what a 1992 Ford F-250 XLT reg. cab 4X4 5.8 eng. & 5 spd. that is in pristine condition with only 40,000 on the clock would be worth. My 1976 Chevrolet k10 has seen it's better days and I'm thinking about upgrading if I'm getting a decent price. Just FYI, the owner is asking $8000 (about $1500 above KBB) and it needs about $500-600 bucks in repairs that I know of to have it in tip-top shape. I realize some other things might pop-up considering it has spent most it's life setting in a garage - it's been driven approx. 2500 miles per year in the 12 years that I know of. Thanks for any advice in advance !

Jason Rose
08-31-2005, 09:58 PM
I was going to immediatly guess about $6,000 given the 4x4. the 5.8 engine is power enough i'm sure, but the 5 speed discounts it a little. the LOW mileage puts it back up in the running. 12 years old is still 12 years old... the pluses are that it's a 3/4 ton, and that means a lot. If you can, get it checked over. Repairs are not cheap on these... The 5 speed definately makes it a better choice for pulling, and a whole lot cheaper to repair when worn out.

Sometimes the ones that 'sit' are just about as bad as the daily drivers... things tend to dry up on older vehicles over time without being driven much. As soon as they hit the road again full time all kinds of problems spring up...

Restrorob
08-31-2005, 11:12 PM
I have to agree with Jason on vehicles sat up more than used.
In 2000 my father found a 1988 buick in Miami which is a 7 hr. drive from us.
The old man kept it in a garage and it only had 12000 miles on it and looked showroom new. He bought it and we started back with it and before we even got out of town the alternator bearings started making noise and the water pump started leaking. Well ended up renting a tow dolly to get it to the house. Within a year the AC compressor went out, Two tires seperated, a couple freeze plugs started leaking which was a complete engine removal job, The exhaust system had to be replaced and the following year the rack n pinion started leaking and had to be replaced. I'm a ex auto service tech. and all these things looked and checked fine at the moment but once put back into use just fell apart. He could have bought a 2 or 3 year old car for what he ended up putting in this one.
So from first hand experience Be CAREFUL with this one.
Good luck

Jason Rose
08-31-2005, 11:27 PM
lol, I know that the only reason that my '88 ford F-250 runs and drives as good as it does is because it gets driven 6 to 7 days a week! Over the winter it sits for weeks at a time and it's terrible to get going again and as soon as I do something new starts leaking or breaks...