PDA

View Full Version : New guy... First try. Advice please.

DavesLawnCarePlus
09-01-2005, 12:09 PM
Hi there.

I've been reading this forum for quite some time now and finally have a chance to try out some hardscaping. I have a customer who wants a walkway installed from his front door that will corner around his flower bed (out three and a half feet from house) and then slope down to his driveway (a distance of about ten feet with a drop of about a 30 inches). The guy knows I have never done anything like this before and just wants to pay for materials in exchange for being the test subject. I was originally thinking irregular flagstone with hammered edges but now I'm leaning toward using standard pavers in a staggered pattern. What are the pros and cons of each? Do you folks suggest anything different. All help is greatly appreciated and I will show photos when I begin working there. I suspect the job to take about six hours with a two man crew and a plate tamper,shovels,rakes, and a wheelbarrow. I was thinking the walkway would be less than forty inches wide... but as I said.. I am open to any suggestions.

Thank you for your help.

MarcusLndscp
09-10-2005, 01:37 PM
30" of drop over 10 feet is a lot. I would suggest that you incorporate a few stairs in the walk at some point or else in the winter you will essentially have an ice ramp that you won't be able to walk up. Also you need to excavate and install a new base if you want the walk to last. I'm not sure how long the total walkway is...is it 10' total or just the last section 10'? Pics would help to describe what you are doing. I'm guessing it's longer than 10'. You'll need concrete sand/stonedust, edging, spikes, fabric. Oh and I hope you make some kind of cash on the job.

NNJLandman
09-10-2005, 02:04 PM
Your right on with the width of the walkway. 3' 3" is what we use on all of walkways. As for your question which material to use for the walkway I would go with pavers. These are easier to install in my opinion then flagstone. (Yes i know some of you think the oposite you dont have to tell me) Flagstone can be sometimes different heights and hard to fit in. Once you get the hang of pavers though, they are fairly easy to install. Good luck with the job.

Jeff

dmbmikee
09-11-2005, 10:55 AM
Definitely go with pavers. Stay away from the flagstone, especially if you have that much of a drop. Also, flagstone is tough to work with if you have never used it before. And there's huge debate, as to what base you should use with flagsone. Do the pavers, and just tier the sidewalk. Do a couple of feet, then step it down.

sheshovel
09-12-2005, 08:17 PM
Definately charge for this job,your deal with the guy is not fair to you.

iluvscag
09-12-2005, 08:23 PM

LOL SHESHOVEL you are never to be made a fool of. :)

dmbmikee
09-13-2005, 08:33 AM

Good point. I forgot to say that completely....lol

That's the main reason I was replying. That guy is really taking advantage of you. He should at least pay you a few bcks....if not, then just inflate the supplies. That usually always works....Cost of gas......food for the job.....lol Throw everything you can think of in. Laundry detergent for washing your dirty clothes.....The water cost used to wash yur clothes.....lol Throw them in if he's gonna go that route....lol Ok well laundry detergent is taking it a little far.......hahaha

DavesLawnCarePlus
09-14-2005, 05:05 PM
Hi guys... Just wanted to thank you all for your advice... Job took an entire day with myself and one helper. We dug 12 inches through heavily compacted gravel that likely would have been fine as my base but I wanted to be sure... Put in crushed gravel (class a) first 6 inches then compacted, then another 6-8 inches and levelled it all out. I used the pvc pipe trick to screed the sand and snap edge for the sides. Instead of building steps into the walkway, I used stepstackers that are pre cast and you just put the pavers into the slots. This job turned out okay. Costs were pretty simple, 52 sp.ft of tumbled pavers @4.00 a foot, snapedge was more expensive that I thought...about 50.00 and then aggregate cost 16.00 plus two stackers @48 each. Total before saw and tamper rental 410.00. Add 60 to that for the rental and my total costs were 470 before labor. I learned a lot... Thanks for the advice.

Dave

dmbmikee
09-15-2005, 08:57 AM
Good! Glad you didnt run into any problems. Do you have any pictures? Before and after? Did he happen to tip you?