PDA

View Full Version : Tires Michelin LTX M/S vs BFG Commercial T/A Allseason

Gravel Rat
09-02-2005, 12:02 AM
I need to change steer tires on my 95 F-450 the current tires are Cavailer (Sport King) A/Ts they are a cheap off brand tire made by BFG. I have had the Allseason Kings same manufacturer they are terrible tires aswell. The A/Ts and Allseason Kings are like riding on egg shaped tires they thump and shake. They were on the truck when I bought it they are at 90% tread I don't think I can take the poor handling till they are bald.

I used LTX M/S on my 89 for steer tires they made the old truck handle like a cadillac they did live up to what other people have told me. The price of the M/S in 235/85R-16s is 210 dollars each all said and done 450 dollars a little expensive. The set I had on my 89 wore pretty fast they were down to 40% in 18,000kms (11,185 miles) I sold the truck this week but I doubt I would have got another 5000kms (3000 miles) out of them.

So I'am looking for opinions on the BFG Commercial T/A Allseason they are 179.00 per tire so 31 dollars a tire cheaper. I know they are more of a rib tread over the LTX M/S they may last abit longer. From the info BFG says about the Allseason T/As they sound like a good tire and should wear better.

What I'am wondering is the Commercial T/As any good or should I just bite the bullet and buy the Michelins :confused:

I will be doing alot more hauling this year the reason why I bought the 95 so the most kilometerage I will get out of the M/S will be 18,000kms (11,185 miles) The Michelin XPS Rib is too mild of a tread for the conditions I work in I need the front tires to steer through the mud not slide like a set of ski's.

i_plant_art
09-02-2005, 12:14 AM
ive got a 00f350 4x4 doolly and put the Mich LTX M/S on them at roughly 80000 miles and now have 106000 miles on the truck they look brand new.... i dont have single complaint except the cost. about 1400 for 6 of them installed but man i love them things i rotate them bout every 5-6k and have them balance every time its worth it i think tread looks full they ride smooth no complaints what so ever. id buy another set in a heart beat.

GarPA
09-02-2005, 04:30 AM
My Michelin LTX'S are only about 6 months old but I have spoken with proplr who have gotten 50,000 miles out of them even with pulling a trailer.
My other research indicated they are well worth the higher cost.

MMLawn
09-02-2005, 12:44 PM
I had the BFG T/A's on one of my trucks and they were without a doubt the worst tire as far as lifespan and tread wear I have ever owned in 30 years of buying tires! Paid $678.00 for 4 of them and they lasted a whole whooping 28,000 miles.....

RedWingsDet
09-02-2005, 03:44 PM
coopers. thats what im planning on getting in nov

Scag48
09-02-2005, 05:01 PM
I bought some BFG All Terrain T/A's for my GMC, great off-road tires and they're a decent radial, not much hum with a 245/75/R16 tire. I won't buy anything else for my trucks from now on and the tire wear isn't as bad as people make it out to be, 10,000 miles on mine and they look brand new.

UNISCAPER
09-02-2005, 08:34 PM
We use General load luggers, H rated, 235 x16" on pick ups, 19.5 on the 4500 series. They are 14 ply tires, will run an easy 50K, and cost about $198.00 American dollars. They are hard tires, but with the grades and loads we pull, I wouldn't use any other rating. Brands, unless you go ultra cheap, I really don't see any tire brand advantage. Besides that Michelin dude looks like a geek...:):):)

The Good Earth
09-02-2005, 09:42 PM
Before you give up on the LTX's consider this. I run them on my 3500 for one simple reason. They come stock on ford 250's and chevy 2500's. They are way to small for those trucks so a good amount of buyers swap them out at soon as they take delivery on the truck. I have bought 3 sets of them and the most I have paid is $200 for a set of tires. Tough to beat that price. As for wear, I can't complain in the least. I am not a fan of Michelin tires but for $50 a tire I can easily be swayed.

Gravel Rat
09-03-2005, 12:48 AM
I do need a tire that works better in the rain as rains here alot so a hard wearing tire does get slippery and the front end will break free. I had a set of Firestone R4S they for steers on one of my F-350s the tires wore like iron I don't think I could wear them out. The problem was the tread was so hard they had no wet traction I almost lost the truck into the weeds because the tires would break traction in the corners. I had many scary moments with those tires I sold the truck and it still has them on the front.

The Bridgestone D661s I used to use went up in price they went from 160.00 per tire to 189.00 per tire :cry:

I know its wishfull thinking of getting anymore than 20,000kms (12,428) out of set of steers. I just don't want to buy a set of thumpers like I already have a smooth good handling ride is a must.

The LTX Michelins do give the smooth cushy ride and handle good they do peal the tread like cheap toilet paper. They say long wearing tread thats a bunch of B.S. they may last a long time in a dually drive axle position but in a steer axle position I don't buy it.

I'am thinking of the Hankook Dynamic Z36 they are a A/T tire my dad has them on his 96 F-150 he puts alot of kilometers on a week. The tires seem to be wearing well. I know one of the excavation contractor swears by them he uses them on his P/Us.

Any more concenses on the BFG Commercial T/As do they live up to the rest of BFG line up ie Fast wearing tires.

I may end up buying the Michelins again and just close my eyes to the price tag it seems like Michelin likes payup

PLM-1
09-03-2005, 01:37 AM
The BFG Commercial T/As are great tires according to the guys over at plowsite. I just got a set of Dueler A/T Revos and I really like them. You may wanna check out tirerack.com . Great prices...awesome staff and you can read consumer ratings on tires. If you don't buy from them, you can at least find the tire that you want.

chuckers
09-04-2005, 02:17 PM
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/index.jsp
I have had really good luck gettin tires from there.

Gravel Rat
09-04-2005, 11:23 PM
I'am Canadian and live in B.C. so Tire Rack is out of the question but 1010 Tires is where I can get tires from other than a tire shop. Once you pay for shipping and the cost to have the tires mounted there goes the cheaper purchase price.

I may go ahead and try the BFG Commercial All Seasons if they don't last I know I won't be buying them again. I know a few other people that use the BFGs they seem to have decent sucess with them.

The BFGs will be 410.00 dollars just for the 2 tires and the LTX M/S are 487.77 for the pair again not including mount and balance.