PDA

View Full Version : 79 5 speed?

RTallday
03-13-2001, 09:44 PM
Okay, heres a question and one that might be considered to be stupid. I have a 79 K-20, with a 350 and 4:10 gears. I also have 33 inch tires and the 4 speed, with the Low gear, and the 205 t case. I was wondering if anybody knew anything about there being a possable aftermarket 5 speed that will fit right in? I dont really think so, but its worth asking, right? Thanks for the help.
-Rich

03-14-2001, 08:52 AM
Rich - doesn't sound like a stupid question to me! The 350/4 spd/4:10 combo is great for pulling but lousy for top end. As for a replacement transmission, because of the need to mate up to both the engine and the transfer case, I don't know if there's any such animal on the market - If there is I suspect it might be quite :eek: expensive.

MTCK
03-14-2001, 12:43 PM
Chevy small blocks and NP205's are both very common and popular with off-roaders, which means that some company out there has probably made a kit to stick a 5 speed in between of them. I'm not sure if I'm remembering the model number right but I believe it's a NV4500 that is a fairly heavy duty 5 speed found on lots of the newer 3/4 and 1 ton trucks that come with manuals. There's a company called Advanced Adapters that could probably tell you if the swap can be done, and they probably make the parts to do it if some are required. Good luck.

RTallday
03-14-2001, 11:42 PM
Hey guys, thanks for the replys. I just figured it might be thought of as a stupid question. Ill try advance adapters and see what i find. Thanks again!
-Rich

MTCK
03-15-2001, 12:15 AM
Rich- I was right, I looked at Advance Adapters web page (http://www.advanceadapters.com) and they DO sell bellhousing kits, and conversion kits to hook up to a NP205. I was right, the transmission is called a NV4500 also. How bout that for guessing. They also sell the transmissions, but I think if I read the sheet right they were right around two thousand dollars. Ouch. It'd be a cool project, and be pretty sweet to have an old rig with a overdrive manual. Let us know what you do. Good luck.

MT

03-15-2001, 05:53 PM
Mucho dinero! That $2000 US is over $3000 Canadian at current exchange rates! Plus the adapter kit.

Then again, at current gasoline prices, if you do a lot of highway driving you'll same some $ while cruising. I am going to either 4x4 the truck I have now or just build another one, with 350/4 spd/205. I'll have to think about this. Just a thought, how durable have the NV4500's proved to be and any ideas on availability of used ones?

RTallday
03-15-2001, 06:30 PM
MTCK: nice guessing. I am going to look into that further. I am willing to spend the cash on that, u know, borrow from peter to pay paul. Ill look into all angles, the adapters, etc. Thanks again. That would be pretty sexxy having a 5 speed 79 chevy. 75: good point about the reliability. Ill have to find out about that too. Thanks again guys.

-Rich