PDA

View Full Version : Just used my seal coat machine

DJ Contracting
09-02-2005, 12:36 PM
Well it's been a long summer with lawn-care and i just finished my seal coat machine and used it for the first time, :blob3: and let me tell you it sure beets the squeegee and broom. We did a driveway approximately 3000 sq feet in under 50 min. that was pulling up and clean and spray and loaded back up. When i go to take off the caution tape i'll take some pictures. Keep in mind i got $325.00 payup for this job and used very little material, it has taken me at least three hours in the past the old fashion way. I'll take some pic's of my set up for anyone that may be interested in making their own.

DJ Contracting
09-14-2005, 10:25 AM
I had some pic's of several jobs i did with the machine, however my nephew was playing with my camera and erased all my pics' with a video he made. When it stops raining I'll retake the photos, anyway here are some pic's of my seal coat unit. I have a 22,000 square foot job to do this weekend i'll take some before and after pic's.

Mdirrigation
09-14-2005, 11:24 PM
A couple of points you may want to adress on that unit. The PVC tee that you used is a waste tee, not designed for pressure , (when , not if, it blows you will have a hell of a mess) I see no strainer basket , you will be constantly clogging your tip on the wand with the sand that goes in the sealer , even if you run a light mix of 2 lbs per gallon. We just finished a 56,000 sq ft parking lot , it took 750 gallons of Rp 355 e coal tar , you will be pushing it to do 22,000 with 250 gallons .

DJ Contracting
09-15-2005, 02:38 PM
Thanks for the info, if you have a picture of strainer basket set up, could you please show me a picture also i'll keep the tee in mind it should last for another couple of weeks we end in October here. Oh where i get my sealer from will be open on Saturday till five if i need more

Mdirrigation
09-15-2005, 10:46 PM
No pictrue but , it would go in line before the pump , 2 inch minimum , they are steel run about 150 dollars , able sealcoat supplies sells them

DJ Contracting
09-16-2005, 10:23 AM
Thanks i'll look them up.

RayGauthier
12-29-2005, 10:07 PM
it works great

RayGauthier
12-29-2005, 10:14 PM
This is realy the way to go !!! worked out of my truck for years and now with a trailer it's like I got a new truck again!!!!!!!!
Try to get air bags for your truck it is very heavy !!

murray83
12-30-2005, 05:25 PM
wish i had the money to set myself up :cry: oh well maybe next year :)

kinda thinking building something close to DJ's idea any advise? also loaded up what does the average tank weigh? would i need a 3/4 or 1/2 ton to transport it?

i'm a noob to this so sorry if my questions sound stupid :waving:

PROCUT1
12-30-2005, 07:13 PM
Some shiny driveways you have there Ray

RayGauthier
01-02-2006, 07:57 PM
I've been at this a while. It's alot of fun did you look at the web site?
They are old pictures that I took a while back thinking of changing them and or adding more .I am hoping for a year like the last one.payup
What is your maximum driveways done in one day?

PROCUT1
01-02-2006, 08:40 PM
We do mostly commercial and we dont use the oil stuff.

RayGauthier
01-15-2006, 03:36 PM
It's only really shinny for 3 weeks then it turns mate black.
I really like the product because the home owners really like the shine and it goes on really well !!!
The home owners would like it to stay but after 3 weeks it turns mate black and looks like it was brand new again every home I do they love it !!!!!!!
:cool:

SealAndCoat
03-19-2006, 02:38 AM
That setup is not a professional and good way to apply sealer. There is no mixing, simply recirculating, which does very little.

PROCUT1
03-19-2006, 02:24 PM
That setup is not a professional and good way to apply sealer. There is no mixing, simply recirculating, which does very little.

He's not applying real sealer. Hes using the gyspy oil stuff which is apparantly popular up there. No mixing needed for that

lloydwacket
04-11-2006, 09:28 AM
Hey murray83,
Just starting out myself and don't know too much about it. But I do know you don't invest a ton of $$$ when starting out. i can't imagine buying a new truck with all that elite equipment starting out. i bet at least 70% of guys who start in this business quit in 2 yrs. The main objective is to keep your costs low. I've known a ton of guys that started something (lawn cutting, window cleaning, etc) that got buried because they went out and spent too much in equipment. I am not looking to have a ton of success this year, but next yr things might pickup and than I'll buy this crap.

SealAndCoat
04-12-2006, 04:24 AM
no businesses are get rich quick schemes. i've knowen people who have spent like over 25k on a scag mower, sthil weed whackers, chain saws, leaf blowers, etc. etc. for their 3 lawn business then just give up. total ****** move.

I started out last year with a truck and a few thousand in basic tools and equipment sealing out of drums and buckets. I got a few thousand dollars in contracts lined up so I am getting a tank/spray unit. it will be here next week, i'll post pics. Its almost $17,000 with shipping but its a huge asset in getting jobs done fast (especially big commercial jobs) and i should come close to paying it off this year. I can't even seal yet and I've got like $12,000 in contracts already and I've done minimal marketing, so I am confident it will be a good investment. Obviously 12k isnt all profit but its a good start. you can most likely more than pay it off if you do like $70k in sales.

black-top magic
10-11-2008, 11:27 PM
I've been using the same set up using sealmaster asphalt based sealer with 3lbs. of sand per gallon of sealer at a 20%cut and have had zero problems so far! so don't let these guys beat you down. But, SELL REAL SEALER!! Keep an extra pump on hand, just in case. No matter what your set up is your seals can blow at any time, You got an inexpensive set up so spend a little extra money on back up parts and seals. good luck and happy ealing.

ATV
06-30-2009, 09:24 PM
What do you guys call a "real sealer"? Brands?

black-top magic
07-03-2009, 10:30 AM
It really depends on what distributers are in you area I use SEALMASTER sealer it is the best i've ever used and it is fairly close to pick up in my area. Real sealer is coal tar or asphalt based a lot of scammers in this business use Gilsinite (sp?) aka gypsonite which usually ruins a driveway making it need repaved within a few years.

StratfordSealing
07-04-2009, 04:26 PM
I dont know how many times ive said this but here goes one more time, in Canada we use mostly black mac, its not slipery, it does not ruin driveways, we are not scammers or gypsies, it does not wash away after 1 month. We do not cut it, we dont rob people, thats what people want, if I would go around using coal tar, I would be out of business because people dont want it here.

black-top magic
07-04-2009, 05:48 PM
I,ll admit I've never done ant research into gilsynite or black mac. but I've been in the paving business in Ohio and Mass. for 16 years and have replaced many driveways before there time because of it being cut with diesel or kerosine. If you don't get those complaints and have repeat customers then more power to you. As long as your responsible for any damages done by your product and you stand by that product then you do it. Where I'm from people like coal tar and asphalt based sealers.

ATV
07-04-2009, 07:26 PM
My understanding is that you want to use an oil based sealer because its supposed to replace oils that were in the original blacktop. Do you think there is any truth to that?

I read a post here where someone said something about using a primer before they sealed. I've never heard of that before. Do you guys use some kind of primer?

Mdirrigation
07-06-2009, 03:48 PM
My understanding is that you want to use an oil based sealer because its supposed to replace oils that were in the original blacktop. Do you think there is any truth to that?

I read a post here where someone said something about using a primer before they sealed. I've never heard of that before. Do you guys use some kind of primer?

No truth what so ever , try this experiment . take a chunk of asphalt and drop it in a bucket of oil based sealer , leave it in there for 2 hours , then do the same with coal tar emuslion or asphalt emulsion. This will answer your question.

We have a system we use on parkinglots where we cut the mix on coal tar on the first of 3 coats as a primer , second coat squeege machine and third coat spray , second and third are mixed with sand

ATV
07-06-2009, 06:31 PM
No truth what so ever , try this experiment . take a chunk of asphalt and drop it in a bucket of oil based sealer , leave it in there for 2 hours , then do the same with coal tar emuslion or asphalt emulsion. This will answer your question.

We have a system we use on parkinglots where we cut the mix on coal tar on the first of 3 coats as a primer , second coat squeege machine and third coat spray , second and third are mixed with sand

Hi Mdirrigation,

Thanks for the reply. I don't have the components to run that test. Could you perhaps tell me what the outcome of the test would have been?

What is the theory behind using a primer coat? Is the thinned out material supposed to soak in and saturate the blacktop more?

Mdirrigation
07-07-2009, 09:14 AM
The asphalt will dissolve in the oil based sealer

The primer is to get the material to get into the pores of the asphalt easier . Coal tar emulsion is a coating , it doesnt penetrate into the asphalt , it coats the asphalt .

rusty_keg_3
07-15-2009, 05:40 AM
So, how much did that set-up cost you? if you dont mind? please pm, me...