PDA

View Full Version : Dual Axle trailers

Lawn Wolf
09-03-2005, 01:47 AM
What do you guys think of a 6' x 12' fully gated, with tool box and trimmer rack dual axle landscape trailer for $1690 brand new. Is this a good price or would I be better waiting for a used one for a little less.

olderthandirt
09-03-2005, 01:57 AM
What do you guys think of a 6' x 12' fully gated, with tool box and trimmer rack dual axle landscape trailer for $1690 brand new. Is this a good price or would I be better waiting for a used one for a little less.
6'4" wide by 16' new with out the racks or boxes sell for that or a little less around here

Lawn Wolf
09-03-2005, 03:02 AM
6'4" wide by 16' new with out the racks or boxes sell for that or a little less around here

Ok. But what will it cost you to add the box and racks later plus other amenities. I bet it will cost your at least 3 to 4 hundred more for a good setup.

grass_cuttin_fool
09-03-2005, 09:17 AM
If I was going to get a dual axle trailer it would be atleast 16 ft. If you have a Z and a walkbehind it takes all 12ft., trust me I own both and know

Ron's Lawncare
09-03-2005, 11:54 AM
i really don't see the need for a tandem axle on a 6x12 (landscape)trailer.
if you are hauling a tractor or skid steer maybe.in my opinion a 6x12 trailer is to small.

Ron

olderthandirt
09-03-2005, 05:05 PM
Ok. But what will it cost you to add the box and racks later plus other amenities. I bet it will cost your at least 3 to 4 hundred more for a good setup.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=64675&highlight=trailor
heres mine and I have less than 2 k in it

UNISCAPER
09-03-2005, 06:06 PM
As a rule, we try to assess weight of equipment and overspec the trailers.

If we get near the limit of a single axle trailer with a given crews load, we then upgrade to a tandem axle. As far as a 12' trailer and a skid steer, anything over the size of a 463 Bobcat, LX125 New Holland, or a Dingo style machine, you need a minimum of 14' so you can position the load over the axles properly. Sure, you might squeeze a skid steer on a 12' deck, but that gives you little to no room to get thw weight over the tongue and wheels in it's proper spot.

It never fails, if you spec out your trailers to accept 16' worth of stuff, you always need another foot or two.

Regarding cheaply priced trailers..... Drill the dealer you are buying from about whose brake systems and axles are on the units. Often people take into account price forst, and, the lesser expensive trailer companies tend to buy at will, any style axle Dexter or whoever has on sale as a clearance. What this will do is pose a bigger problem when the brakes need service, simply because there are 6 different style of brakes on the market. So, you order replacements, they don't fit, you then wait with a downed ttrailer for a week of so until you get the right ones to repair the problem.

We did a cheap trailer once. We ended up buying our first Wells Cargo at that time so we had something to get equipment from job to job. Fixed the cheap trailer and ran it as the spare.

lawnmaniac883
09-03-2005, 07:49 PM
Dual axles keep your equipment from gettin the sh!t beatin out of it inbetween jobs on those bumpy roads.

N.H.BOY
09-03-2005, 09:15 PM
that price sounds right, good deal. Small trailer IMO. go alittle longer not much more in price. You'll really like the extra two or three feet.

YardPro
09-04-2005, 08:30 AM
i really don't see the need for a tandem axle on a 6x12 (landscape)trailer.
if you are hauling a tractor or skid steer maybe.in my opinion a 6x12 trailer is to small.

Ron

you're not thinking ahead at all...

first off the saftey of the tandem is worth the money...
you have a blowout on the single axle and you could loose your whole load. they will sway and flip more easially....

also a 12" is really too short. we have one and wish we had never bought it.
One crew uses a hustler super mini Z and a toro pro line walk behind... you cannot get them both on without turning the WB sideways. When we add the 2 21" mowers on the trailer it is crammed full.

we get a lot of damage to our equipment from "stuffing all this stuff on the trailer."

LawnScapers of Dayton
09-04-2005, 08:58 AM
I have a 6.5x12 tandem. I upgraded it from a single axle to haul more mulch. I can get my 36" Toro, a 52" Stander on it with plenty of room for more stuff......even another 52" Stander if I wanted.....

I paid $1800 for mine with no frills......

Derek